Transparent California

There should be a rule against charging so much for tutoring, but I guess since its an "under the table" transaction, no one does anything about it. I sure wish I was patient enough to tutor... ;)

I don't know about the tutoring but I've seen summer camps (math, etc.) and it's taught by local teachers and it costs a lot money.  They even mention that the class is taught by Ms. So-and-So, math teacher from XYZ school, etc. So, it must be approved by their schools as well.  I wish 3 months out of the year, I could tell all my customers that they pay me to take care of their company instead of to my employer (with my company's blessing).  :'( 

Teachers deserve the pay they do now but I have a deeper appreciation for my old teachers who got paid very little.

qwerty said:
Mamabear said:
Now a days, I hear from other parents that teachers are offering tutoring for $60/hr.

Isn't there probably a rule against that?

I'm not understanding the recent posts.  The free market will determine what tutors (current teachers or otherwise) will bear.  If someone feels it's too expensive, they'll lower their price or be forced out by competitive pricing.  It's the same with every facet of consumerism.  Nobody is forcing people to buy a product or service.  The market determines pricing.

Mamabear said:
There should be a rule against charging so much for tutoring, but I guess since its an "under the table" transaction, no one does anything about it. I sure wish I was patient enough to tutor... ;)
Say what?  That's a first, so you want a price control and you want the government to regulate tutoring.

OS said:
OCgasman said:
I'm not understanding the recent posts.  The free market will determine what tutors (current teachers or otherwise) will bear.  If someone feels it's too expensive, they'll lower their price or be forced out by competitive pricing.  It's the same with every facet of consumerism.  Nobody is forcing people to buy a product or service.  The market determines pricing.

Nice theory, but this isn't a perfectly free market. The market will bear to pay a higher price for higher end teachers. What pays for those teachers? Property taxes mainly, which are limited by Prop 13 zealots.
I was referring to tutoring, not teacher salary.

Well isn't the government already regulating the pay of teachers? So in my opinion, it would be nice to regulate the price of tutoring. I know it won't happen, but if in the future my kid needs tutoring, I sure hope my kid's teacher (who is getting paid quite well) would be willing to tutor my kid at a reasonable rate. Or at least provide supplemental material at no cost...since I am paying the high price of living in Irvine ;)

Mamabear said:
Well isn't the government already regulating the pay of teachers? So in my opinion, it would be nice to regulate the price of tutoring. I know it won't happen, but if in the future my kid needs tutoring, I sure hope my kid's teacher (who is getting paid quite well) would be willing to tutor my kid at a reasonable rate. Or at least provide supplemental material at no cost...since I am paying the high price of living in Irvine ;)

I'm confused.  Do Irvine teachers not stick around for an hour after school to provide tutoring or homework help??

Offering before, lunch, and after school tutoring is part of a teachers extra duty ... Part of the contracted pay.  Parents should not have to pay extra for tutoring unless you want to go above and beyond the regular extra help offered by the school. It's equal to office hours at the college level.

ZeroLot said:
Mamabear said:

I'm confused.  Do Irvine teachers not stick around for an hour after school to provide tutoring or homework help??

Offering before, lunch, and after school tutoring is part of a teachers extra duty ... Part of the contracted pay.  Parents should not have to pay extra for tutoring unless you want to go above and beyond the regular extra help offered by the school. It's equal to office hours at the college level.
I think ppl want private tutoring above and beyond regular office hours.  It's why Kumon, math places, etc exist.  IUSD parents are neurotic.  I think those places and private tutoring are a waste of money and time.  They just teach you shortcuts and fill the hours with busy work.  By 3rd grade everyone catches up.  It's inherent intelligence and motivation that determines academic success.  Intelligence is genetic.  And motivation can be internal or external via pressure.  Self motivation to succeed is best.  A motivated smart kid will do well academically.  A non-motivated smart kid or a motivated dumb kid won't...just common sense.  I know all parents think they have a super smart kid but intelligence is a bell curve, most ppl fall under one standard deviation either way of avg.

But academic success does not directly correlate with success in the real world later on.  Personality, networking, luck, persistence, etc are all components of success in the real world.  I'm sure everyone knows plenty of ppl that did poorly in school but ended up successful with their chosen career.  Even in college, doing well there is really only important if you wanna further your education in a competitive area like medicine and law (assuming you can do well on the standardized test also).  Wall Street is filled with frat boys that did just ok in college, but have the ability to schmooze and sell anything.  Those guys are raking in the dough.

Code:
Wall Street is filled with frat boys that did just ok in college, but have the ability to schmooze and sell anything.  Those guys are raking in the dough.

Those are used car salesmen that are screwing people and know it. 

The impacts of practice versus ability are evidenced on the pro golf circuit.  And the NFL. The bell curve is just shifted

In life, the one that trains better for the goal is the one that does better at the goal 99% of the time

And yes.  The years in the frat house, hazing rituals etc was the training ground for the narcissistic  semi sociopath behavior you see in Wall Street and politicians

Great site! I love getting lost looking at these.

Sheriffs make a good amount of their income off overtime from what I have seen looking at the Orange County compensation list. 

Tutoring is oftentimes the replacement for parent involvement. Most schools state that students should expect 1-2 1/2 hours of homework per school night. The expectation is for the parent to sit down and guide their child. Some kids need more support than others. Unfortunately, most private tutors don't support the instruction offered in the classroom.

Kangen.Irvine said:
Tutoring is oftentimes the replacement for parent involvement. Most schools state that students should expect 1-2 1/2 hours of homework per school night. The expectation is for the parent to sit down and guide their child. Some kids need more support than others. Unfortunately, most private tutors don't support the instruction offered in the classroom.

True true.  When I tutor kids I feel like I'm their second parent. A lot of them even call me mom by accident or some want to move in with me.

That's when I give them a hard time and tell them to stop getting me in trouble with their REAL Mom.

But not all tutors can stick with classroom instructions. Sometimes the classroom assignment is so convoluted that you really have to be there to figure it out.

Agreed. In the perfect world the student will communicate the confusion to the teacher or the parent will take this responsibility. I guess it depends on the age. Tutors shouldn't communicate with teachers but it would make sense if their clients did. Most times the directions aren't followed which created the students challenge in first place.
It really depends on what is being tutored. So many subjects are memorization, which just takes time...and patience on the part of the parent.

I looked up a neighbor of mine who is a college professor.  He only makes $66,000.
I thought he made more.  Now I wish I could unsee his salary because I think about it when I see him.
with REDFIN and transparent CA we sure can get a lot of info on peoples financials.

zubs said:
I looked up a neighbor of mine who is a college professor.  He only makes $66,000.
I thought he made more.  Now I wish I could unsee his salary because I think about it when I see him.
with REDFIN and transparent CA we sure can get a lot of info on peoples financials.

Perhaps it's a public college?  Private might pay more?

I know a few college professors want to teach public schools ... That's where the money is.  But most can't handle/stand the behavior issues.

Teaching college kids vs ones going through puberty are night and day.

Back