Traffic on Sand Canyon

rickr

I am not sure if I'm just being ultra sensitive, but the traffic on Sand Canyon around the railroad is driving me bat shiz nuts!!! I don't know who programmed those lights by the railroad/freeway but they seemed to be totally out of wack.

Why did they add that light on the railroad anyway? Did a car get hit or come close to getting hit.

I think I am just sick and tired of Irvine lights. I find myself sitting at each light for two minutes waiting for the one car to pass and then having to wait for each left turn signal to pass and then I can finally go.

It was not even close to being this bad a few months ago, as they started the construction by the railroad it just went to hell. I can't wait until Stonegate, Portola, Great Park get built out.

It is gonna be a FCK'N MESS!!!

FML!!! OK, I got my vent out, all better now.

Ok

with this project undergoing?
http://www.ci.irvine.ca.us/cityhall/pw/sand_canyon_undercrossing/project_overview.asp

rickr said:
I am not sure if I'm just being ultra sensitive, but the traffic on Sand Canyon around the railroad is driving me bat shiz nuts!!! I don't know who programmed those lights by the railroad/freeway but they seemed to be totally out of wack.

Why did they add that light on the railroad anyway? Did a car get hit or come close to getting hit.

I think I am just sick and tired of Irvine lights. I find myself sitting at each light for two minutes waiting for the one car to pass and then having to wait for each left turn signal to pass and then I can finally go.

It was not even close to being this bad a few months ago, as they started the construction by the railroad it just went to hell. I can't wait until Stonegate, Portola, Great Park get built out.

Ok

absds said:
with this project undergoing?
http://www.ci.irvine.ca.us/cityhall/pw/sand_canyon_undercrossing/project_overview.asp

rickr said:

Ok
The project wont' be done until late 2014?  Wow, that's a long time in having to deal with that mess.  I stay away from that area at all costs.

rickr said:

The extra light they added northbound at the railroad crossing doesn't sync with the next one at Burt Road (Denny's) because it's for a different purpose.  As soon as cars threaten to fill up the space between the crossing and Burt Road, the previous light at the crossing turns red so no one gets stuck on the tracks.  I guess this light was added because the distance between the crossing and Burt Road was increased when they relocated the tracks to the south, and drivers would have a harder time judging if there was room for them on the other side.

With the short distances between the new crossing light, Burt Road, and the 5 freeway ramps, that new light ends up turning red a lot when there's basically any traffic at all. It's even worse when they hold up traffic to allow construction trucks to across with the required water spraying afterwards.

When I'm headed that way I now often take the short free stretch of the 133 from Barranca/Pacifica to the 5 north to Sand Canyon just to get around that part of Sand Canyon.

When they're all done there won't be a railroad grade crossing so the traffic to/from all the new neighborhoods will be as good as Culver is now. (So maybe not great, but nowhere near as bad as it would be if left the way it is now.)

Culver would be impacted when OH is built, especially with TIC building San Mateo X, XI, XII....there.

NYDave said:
When they're all done there won't be a railroad grade crossing so the traffic to/from all the new neighborhoods will be as good as Culver is now. (So maybe not great, but nowhere near as bad as it would be if left the way it is now.)

I think my main issue is the Burt Road and 5 freeway ramp lights. They are never in sync. One turns green the other turns red which causes traffic to crawl, and as you said, there is a very short distance between lights. I feel like the cross traffic from Burt Road and the freeway offramp get just as much priority as Sand Canyon which has a hell of a lot more cars traveling on it.

The red light at the railroad would not be an issue if those two lights were properly sync'd.

With the short distances between the new crossing light, Burt Road, and the 5 freeway ramps, that new light ends up turning red a lot when there's basically any traffic at all. It's even worse when they hold up traffic to allow construction trucks to across with the required water spraying afterwards.

rickr said:
I think my main issue is the Burt Road and 5 freeway ramp lights. They are never in sync. One turns green the other turns red which causes traffic to crawl, and as you said, there is a very short distance between lights. I feel like the cross traffic from Burt Road and the freeway offramp get just as much priority as Sand Canyon which has a hell of a lot more cars traveling on it.

The red light at the railroad would not be an issue if those two lights were properly sync'd.

I've occasionally made the left from Burt onto Sand Canyon, and it's quite a wait for the green. I never use the S/B freeway ramp so don't know about that one, but agree those two lights don't seem sync'd ... which leads to backups on Sand Canyon, which means that new light at the railroad crossing is red a lot, which leads to more backups further down Sand Canyon ...

Culver would be impacted when OH is built, especially with TIC building San Mateo X, XI, XII....there.

Maybe more people will start to factor in toll road costs when buying in some of the northerly/easterly neighborhoods??

Anyone have updates on the construction schedule?  It's been a nightmare from ICD to past the 5 for a couple of months.  I've been double-hit:  I used to ride to work on my bike on the trail, which has been closed to SC for a couple of years now.  And then I bought a CNG Honda Civic and the local CNG station is off SC right there.  A couple of times I forgot and tried to get get in the morning and probably got jammed up there for over 15 minutes to go a couple of blocks!

The sign on the side of the road still says the bike trail will be open by January, but I wouldn't bet more than a quarter on that.

Thanks for any news!

David

Things would move faster if someone ripped out all the traffic lights near that railroad and just replace it with stop signs.  I was late to my Design Center appointment because of those stupid lights. 

Well. Maybe you guys shouldn't have bought in Woodbury/Portola, etc.  I knew they were going to build that mess in the Strawberry Fields years ago and it was going to be pretty. It will soon be like Jamboree in a few years. Good luck to the folks who bought in that area.

I happened to have attended a discussion on that construction project.  The light near the railroad tracks on Sand Canyon is a unique light with a sensor that measures when the road going forward has too many cars.  It turns red and stops traffic until traffic moves,  this is a safety feature to prevent cars from getting stuck on the tracks during a red light.

qwerty said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Whoah... frank69m out of the blue. Where you been man?

he has been getting upset by the asians, indians and arabs  :)

aren't Indians Asians too? Maybe we should just call Indians SOUTH Asians, and Chinese/Koreans/Japanese EAST ASIANS.

Back