Trabuco Blvd proposed name change

fumbling said:
to Great Park Avenue, according to notice of public hearing posted at the corner of Trabuco and Jeffrey.

Interestingly, the City wants to rename the entire length of Trabuco stretching all the way to Culver, not just the portion of Trabuco within the Great Park.

Also, from the map it sounds like they are still planning on the Trabuco/133 interchange, which I thought was being nixed due to lack of funding by Heritage Fields.

Well, maybe the money Emile was going to allot to the Veterans cemetery will pay for the interchange instead.

http://irvine.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?view_id=74&clip_id=3562&meta_id=68775

WTTCHMN said:
Interestingly, the City wants to rename the entire length of Trabuco stretching all the way to Culver, not just the portion of Trabuco within the Great Park.
This is similar to what the City of Irvine did for TIC when they renamed the entire length of Moulton Parkway to Irvine Center Drive, not just within the Spectrum (i.e. "Irvine Center").

its good I suppose... Right now Irvine Blvd turns into Trabuco around Lake Forest, one less street to get confused on

MagicJ1zz said:
Probably because mainlanders have an issue pronouncing 'Trabuco'.  It might sound like 'Chabooko'.

What's the correct pronunciation?  Tra-BOO-ko or Tra-BIEW-Ko?

qwerty said:
Barrrrrrr ron Ka

Interestingly (and perhaps qwerty can chime in), there are many neighborhoods in California with Spanish names that are pronounced incorrectly (deliberately).  And if you pronounce them correctly in proper Spanish, no local can recognize where you are actually talking about.

For instance:

San PEE-dro vs. San PAY-dro
Los FEE-liz vs. Los Fuh-LEEZ
Pasa-DEEN-a vs. Pasa-DAY-na
Tee-a-Wan-a vs. Tee-WAN-a
San Ra-FELL vs. San RA-fai-el

Wttchm = honorary Mexican :)

Yeah I have no idea how some of those pronounciations came about. I lived in San Pedro for a year and just after I would say San paydro they would say San peedro. Amazing.

A few years back there was a Hispanic gentleman that came to work on my yard and he called me and said he was lost.

I asked him where he was and he goes 'I'm over here on Yaw-Lay'.

I replied 'Yaw-Lay?!  I don't even think you're in the right city'.

He goes 'Ya the corner of Yaw-Lay and Irvine Blvd right near the Del Taco.'

Of course I found out later he was talking about Yale.

Great Park Blvd sounds much better than Trabuco Blvd. "Trabuco" always rubbed me the wrong way, I'm not sure why. I don't see why they shouldn't change it. On top of it sounding better, changing it won't effect any home address or any existing major commercial address.

Sidenote: I've always pronounced it "trah-BYOO-koh," but traditional the Spanish pronunciation is likely "trah-BOO-koh." Traditional Spanish pronunciation of places/streets in Southern California is pretty much non-existent though. Otherwise, we would be pronouncing Los Angeles as "Lohs Ahn-hel-ehs."

Villager said:
Traditional Spanish pronunciation of places/streets in Southern California is pretty much non-existent though. Otherwise, we would be pronouncing Los Angeles as "Lohs Ahn-hel-ehs."

I diasgree.  There are many places that take a lot of effort to pronounce correctly but gringos do it beautifully:

Mission Viejo
San Juan Capistrano
Rancho Santa Margarita
La Ca?ada
La Jolla

What's odd is that our correct pronunciation is selective.  Why pronounce Mission Viejo correctly yet totally bungle the much simpler San Pedro?

Things that make you go hmmm....

Awesome. Don't care for name but like other posters said... One less confusing thing. First time I drove down Alton I thought I had passed Irvine Blvd already.

Back