Toyota moving to Texas

Have to agree with morekaos, no way an established company moved thousands of six figure jobs to CA. We may get some smaller new businesses that replace Toyota but at sone point if they mature texas will be right there waiting to lure them away

You have to be an optimist.

If thousands of 6-figure jobs are leaving Cali, that means RE prices will go down right? ;)

@qwerty:

Are you really worried that the Cali economy is going to go downhill like morekaos? And everyone is going to move to TX? I don't think TX is that much of a "lure". Would you want to move there?

This feels like much ado about nothing to me (obv except for the people who have to relocate). Like I said before, just like the bubble, the number of jobs in Cali will correct itself.

I think I am being read all wrong.  I am neither pessimist or an optimist.  I just call it the way I see it.  This to me is clearly a problem that needs to be addressed.  Reaction by our politicians will either be by choice or forced upon them by the markets.  I have as much as stake as anyone here. I own a home, I work here and my family is here.  Of course I want us all to succeed.  I agree, that the system eventually rights itself but that doesn't change the process.  It is what it is, I am just pointing it out.

irvinehomeowner said:
You have to be an optimist.

If thousands of 6-figure jobs are leaving Cali, that means RE prices will go down right? ;)

@qwerty:

Are you really worried that the Cali economy is going to go downhill like morekaos? And everyone is going to move to TX? I don't think TX is that much of a "lure". Would you want to move there?

This feels like much ado about nothing to me (obv except for the people who have to relocate). Like I said before, just like the bubble, the number of jobs in Cali will correct itself.

i think CA will be fine, i think it could be better, and things may get a little worse, but i dont think it will deteriorate much more. 

i wouldnt move to texas, but i make a shitload of money and am extremely smart, great looking, excellent personality, etc, so ill always make a shitload of money in CA  ;D

morekaos said:
I think I am being read all wrong.  I am neither pessimist or an optimist.  I just call it the way I see it.  This to me is clearly a problem that needs to be addressed.  Reaction by our politicians will either be by choice or forced upon them by the markets.  I have as much as stake as anyone here. I own a home, I work here and my family is here.  Of course I want us all to succeed.  I agree, that the system eventually rights itself but that doesn't change the process.  It is what it is, I am just pointing it out.

I agree Mr. I like to shout in all red. Our politicians needs to cap real estate prices in SoCal at $200/sq ft for residential and $50/sq ft for commercial so that companies will stop moving for cheaper real estate. Remember to get out and vote and let your politicians know how you feel!

qwerty said:
i wouldnt move to texas, but i make a shitload of money and am extremely smart, great looking, excellent personality, etc, so ill always make a shitload of money in CA  ;D
And so diverse too:

- Rodent prevention services
- Visual entertainment for neighbors
- Open House value appreciation
- Sales office strong arming
- HOA rules resistance training
- Dietician consulting
- Dog ownership advice
- Old school birthday party planning

:)

Great read and shows that it is not only the majors eyeing the doors.  These are native, long term OC based business leaving because of over-taxation, over-regulation and a generally business unfriendly environment.  It is not only frustrating but sad that this is happening.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/california-383369-tax-business.html?page=1

Should business owner stay in state, or go?

Melton International Tackle, which sells fishing gear worldwide, is marking 20 years in business in Anaheim during 2013. It may be the last.

Owner Tracy Melton is consulting with his financial experts and exploring other locations for his 30-employee company. He says recent state tax hikes may be the last straw that drives him out of what he considers to be a state unfriendly to businesses.

"I am not rich by any means," Melton said. "I work hard, keep 30 people off unemployment, and my reward is that the state and feds want to take more than half of any profit I make."

Melton has not made a decision on whether he should stay ? or go ? but his complaints are a familiar refrain among local small business owners who struggled through the recession and express concerns about any new taxes and regulations.

No definitive data about departing companies is available, but Irvine business consultant Joe Vranich has compiled hundreds of examples of companies moving some or all of their operations and jobs out of California. The list included 254 such companies in 2011 alone. He said he has been too busy to update the list for 2012.

One Vranich client, who owns a growing company, said he is postponing a major equipment purchase until after moving out of California because the quarter-cent sales tax increase would increase the machinery's cost by thousands of dollars. Another client, which does wood finishing, is moving out of state because of Air Quality Management District prohibitions. A third client said he will move his business to North Carolina, Florida or Texas because his net worth hasn't grown in 20 years, despite building a company that employs 20 people.

"In the seven days following the election, I got five serious inquiries about moving companies out of California," Vranich said. "That's unheard of. (In the past) if I had five clients relocate in a year, that was good. ... I'm so busy, I have expanded."

Numerous studies report on California's business taxes and policies. The most recent comes from the Small Business & Entrepreneurship Council, which ranks California 50th in business friendliness in its 2013 study. California has the highest personal income tax rate, capital gains tax rate, dividend and interest tax rate, the highest diesel fuel tax, second-highest gasoline tax and third-worst highways, the study says.

Hmm... according to LA Times and Toyota, it wasn't Cali's fault for the relo, it was geography and consolidation:
http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-toyota-economy-20140502,0,1647755.story#axzz30Zp9LvM8

The trouble is that taxes, regulations and business climate appear to have had nothing to do with Toyota's move. It came down to a simple matter of geography and a plan for corporate consolidation, Toyota's North American chief told The Times. And in the big picture, California's and Texas' economies are growing at a similar pace, with corporate relocations ? in either direction ? representing only a tiny slice of job growth in both states.

"It may seem like a juicy story to have this confrontation between California and Texas, but that was not the case," said Jim Lentz, Toyota's North American chief executive.

Toyota left California to move its company's brainpower, now divided among offices in three states, into one headquarters close to the company's manufacturing base, primarily in the South.

"It doesn't make sense to have oversight of manufacturing 2,000 miles away from where the cars were made," Lentz said. "Geography is the reason not to have our headquarters in California."

Additionally, historical evidence shows that company migration isn't really the main drive for job creation:

"It's a prime example of the state's unfriendly tax code and business regulations that drive businesses out of the state," said Allan Mansoor, the top Republican on the state Assembly's economic development committee. "The whole thing could have been prevented."

Economic data paint a different picture, according to experts who study job migration and creation. For one thing, poaching of jobs does little to grow the economy of any state.

The Public Policy Institute of California studied this phenomenon over a 15-year period, from 1992 to 2006. It found that less than 2% of jobs lost in California were due to companies leaving, and only 1% of jobs created were due to companies moving in.

More recent figures were not available, but experts say it's unlikely that dynamic has changed, particularly given that the number of major corporate relocations and expansions nationwide has fallen sharply in recent years. According to Conway Data, which tracks site-selection activity, the number of big corporate moves last year was half what it was at its peak in the late 1990s.

"Governors should tune out the war between the states. That's not where job creation happens," said Greg LeRoy, executive director at Good Jobs First, a think tank that tracks corporate subsidies. "Job creation happens at home."

As I said, don't worry, be happy.

Then is seems our fate is solely to incubate then out-migrate those businesses to other states that treat mature companies better.  All these examples we have gone through are up and running business that look to leave.  I would love to see an LA Times article trumpeting a major business moving here and hiring all those high paying jobs for whatever reason, be it geography, strategic planning or lower operating costs.  In the end incubation is a thin nail to hang your hat on for the future.  Our economy takes on all the risk and reaps little of the long term rewards.

morekaos said:
Then is seems our fate is solely to incubate then out-migrate those businesses to other states that treat mature companies better.  All these examples we have gone through are up and running business that look to leave.  I would love to see an LA Times article trumpeting a major business moving here and hiring all those high paying jobs for whatever reason, be it geography, strategic planning or lower operating costs.  In the end incubation is a thin nail to hang your hat on for the future.  Our economy takes on all the risk and reaps little of the long term rewards.

Here you go mister I like to post in really big fonts because my browser zoom button went missing:
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/boeing-609340-jobs-engineering.html
Boeing poised to bring 1,000 skilled jobs to region
The new positions will be part of the 1,800-employee Southern California Engineering Design Center.
Published: April 10, 2014 Updated: April 11, 2014 9:29 a.m.

California?s gain is Washington?s loss, as the positions being added here are being dropped from Boeing?s manufacturing home state. Those Seattle area-based workers will get a chance to re-apply for their jobs here. Boeing expects to fill the positions with a combination of Seattle transplants, Southern California talent and former workers from the C-17 plant.

"great looking, excellent personality" and the 3rd leg
Top Gigolo can make shit load of money anywhere in the world

irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:
And so diverse too:

- Rodent prevention services
- Visual entertainment for neighbors
- Open House value appreciation
- Sales office strong arming
- HOA rules resistance training
- Dietician consulting
- Dog ownership advice
- Old school birthday party planning

:)

Let's calm down and enjoy this thread for all it have to offer, information and facts sometimes and witty humor and not engage in attacks.

On another note Qwerty what kind of job you do (I am sure it is not what California Court implies)?  It must be nice to be able to afford Irvine on one person's salary and still have a life

Irvine Dream said:
Let's calm down and enjoy this thread for all it have to offer, information and facts sometimes and witty humor and not engage in attacks.

On another note Qwerty what kind of job you do (I am sure it is not what California Court implies)?  It must be nice to be able to afford Irvine on one person's salary and still have a life

im a CPA. #2 in the finance/accounting organization at a public company.

geography and consolidation: the next big job creator in California will be the cannabis industry once we legalize it. who wouldn't want to smoke a joint in a blue day

Ive dealt with enough exes at enough publically traded firms to know most of these decisions are done for personal reasons and then justified and rationalized.

Sometimes that issue is the execs like getting deals.  States and cities are lining up like mad to cut deals and give stuff away to people moving jobs there.  Not creating jobs, moving jobs.  Lets build stadium! We need a team!  never mind most are shown to actually cost more money then they bring in over the long run.

There's a lot wrong with the California business climate, from having an 88 page guide book on paying taxes and wages for a nanny to needing to put the water in the sewer cleaner than it comes out of the tap if you work with certain chemicals.  Overall, IMHO, California government and many Californians that power play with Government are basically hostile to companies an their owners.

That's how Toyota is rationalizing the decision to move, not why they are moving.

BTW, Toyota's plants are there in Texas, why'd Texas need to pay Toyota to move?  You're moving 4000 jobs and an entire headquarters for the next decade or two.  Is $40 million anything more than a palm grease?

morekaos said:
Even the bureaucrats blame the bureaucracy.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101625195

Torrance Mayor Frank Scotto blames the state of California for Toyota Motor's decision to relocate its North American headquarters from the city to Plano, Texas.

"The state of California lost Toyota," Scotto said on "Power Lunch" Tuesday.

He pointed to a number of issues in the Golden State that negatively affect companies' bottom line: tax structure, workers' compensation and liability insurance.

"There are so many other levels of problems that we face in California that make it very difficult for any business to be in the state of California," he added.

Can't catch a break,  Bad to work here AND now bad to retire here.  Will I be only one left here soon?

http://money.cnn.com/2014/05/05/retirement/retirement-states/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

The best states to retire in are a little surprising

Forget sunny Florida or California, retirees are better off heading to colder climates, according to Bankrate's latest ranking of best states to retire.

South Dakota topped Bankrate's list. Its low taxes, lack of crime and easy access to quality healthcare make it the country's best state for retirees, according to Bankrate's rankings, which equally weighted weather, cost of living, crime, quality of health care, state and local taxes and general well-being.

All of these states tend to have excellent healthcare and some of the lowest state and local tax rates in the country, which can make a big difference for retirees living on fixed incomes, said Chris Kahn, research and statistics editor at Bankrate.

"Yes you are still going to need a snow shovel... but you're getting a lot in return for that cold weather," Kahn said.

And while sunny Florida is popular among many retirees, it ranked near the bottom of the list -- in 39th place -- in part because of higher crime and living costs and lower quality healthcare. Meanwhile, California ranked 28th, weighed down by high state taxes and living costs.
::)

Not sure how they are considering weather if you still have to shovel snow (not something the elderly likes to do).

Middle of the pack for Cali is good enough, you don't have to shovel snow and people will actually visit you because it's so nice here.

paperboyNC said:
morekaos said:
Can't catch a break,  Bad to work here AND now bad to retire here.  Will I be only one left here soon?

If you hate California so much, please move.

Thank you.

Actually, just the opposite it true.  Unless we recognize the flaws and discuss ways to fix them without denying their existence we will someday ALL wake up in a place we "hate".  As a native I would rather fix it than run away  or deny it.  As I said, I have substantial skin in this game.  I own real estate and investments here, I was born raised and educated here, I make a good living here, my family is here, my children go to school here and I don't plan on going anywhere, anytime soon.  The place we live is privileged, but not perfect and without room for improvement.

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/20...ould-generate-7-2-billion-analysis-finds.html

Toyota move to Texas may bring $7.2 billion in economic activity over 10 years.

According to the article the average salary is $104,000. Sorry admin support, AP clerk, technicians, etc. don't make that much. It's upper management, management, district sales managers, etc. that make the mega bucks and make the average salary high. (I don't know the exact structure, but most companies are like this) So if an average person reads the article, it is misleading in a way.

Back