Top 10 CA High School rankings

How can you be top rated but not top scoring?

I?m going off the reports. The trend has been like this for years.

eyephone said:
How can you be top rated but not top scoring?

Really? Your opinions flip from obvious to obtuse.

I?m going off the reports. The trend has been like this for years.

Then move out. Not sure if you can find a city in California selling new homes where all of their schools are in the top 100... maybe in NorCal.

irvinehomeowner said:
"Top-rated schools" is accurate. I have more of a problem with "resort-style amenities".

I used to think "resort-style amenities" was a marketing ploy too.  But I've stayed at multiple resort hotels around So Cal recently and came away thinking that our HOA pools are actually nicer than the hotels I've been staying at.  It's no wonder why all these Air BnB's have been exploding in Irvine... resort-style amenities without the resort fee.

irvinehomeowner said:
Not sure if you can find a city in California selling new homes where all of their schools are in the top 100... maybe in NorCal.

It isn't the schools that are great.  It's the students and their parents.
Same thing with crime.  Police don't have much impact on preventing crime. 
It's not that the police in Chicago are bad. The many criminals there are.
Switch all the teachers from Santa Ana to Irvine and vice versa and little would change, except the Santa Ana teachers would be much happier, and the Irvine teachers miserable.

irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:
I think you should blame the IUSD before you attack me.

I'm not blaming anyone, you are.

And I'm not attacking anyone either, just stating the eyephone obvious.

I noticed you attack people when they don?t agree with you.

The numbers don?t lie. No matter how you slice it and dice it. The test results show that they are not at the top.

eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:
I think you should blame the IUSD before you attack me.

I'm not blaming anyone, you are.

And I'm not attacking anyone either, just stating the eyephone obvious.

I noticed you attack people when they don?t agree with you.

The numbers don?t lie. No matter how you slice it and dice it. The test results show that they are not at the top.

So sensitive. If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the discussion.

So right now, the 2 NBA teams playing for the "top" title were not the highest ranked teams in the league. But, regardless of their "numbers", they were top-rated.

It's all relative... which is why it's better to say "rated" rather than "scored".

Why you have a hard time understanding that should be not a surprise to me as you couldn't connect free speech and honoring veterans either.

#ThrowbackThursday

I?m not surprised by your response. You are changing the subject yet again. Seems like your mad. Take it easy.

I?m not having a hard time. I think you are having a hard time looking at the data and seeing the trend.

eyephone said:
I?m not surprised by your response. You are changing the subject yet again. Seems like your mad. Take it easy.

I?m not having a hard time. I think you are having a hard time looking at the data and seeing the trend.

Wah.

Most of those schools are basically magnet schools for the district so they concentrate all of the best students into one HS.

IUSD is about having good schools throughout the district.

Irvinecommuter said:
Most of those schools are basically magnet schools for the district so they concentrate all of the best students into one HS.

That's not accurate. Strip out the charter schools and the only SoCal schools in the top 40 are Whitney, PV, La Canada. None from OC. Bay area has 13 regular public high schools on that list, and they closely correlate with the National Merit Scholar list of CA students recently published.

OCtoSV said:
Irvinecommuter said:

That's not accurate. Strip out the charter schools and the only SoCal schools in the top 40 are Whitney, PV, La Canada. None from OC. Bay area has 13 regular public high schools on that list, and they closely correlate with the National Merit Scholar list of CA students recently published.

I am not sure what that has to do with what I said.  I didn't say anything about charter schools. 

IUSD has two HS in the top 100 (Uni and Northwood), Woodbridge is 123, Irvine is 245.  Portola should get a good ranking once it qualifies. 

Tustin has Beckham at 49...and then Foothill at 249.   

Anaheim Union (which is basically a made-up school district) has Oxford at 2 and Cypress at 241

Fremont Unified for example has MSJ at no. 8...and Irvington at 147 and American at 153.

ABC is quite good with Whitney and Cypress but the rest of the HS are bad.

Guys I don't understand what all this panic is about.  Even though IUSD isn't as good as it used to be, the reputation is still strong (similar story with crime).  I'm sure your home values will be just fine.

I take all these rankings with a grain of salt... I just know that IUSD is usually closer to the top than the bottom.

That's the definition of "top-rated"... at least to some of us.

The difference between Whitney/Oxford vs Irvine schools is that you have to take a competitive exam to get into Whitney/Oxford, versus Irvine (or Diamond Bar) high schools take most students within its district zone.

I went to school in both Placentia-Yorba Linda and ABC districts.  I attended Kramer Jr High in Placentia (next to Valencia HS) and graduated from Artesia High.  In HS I was a TA and the teachers complained continuously about Whitney taking all the top performing students from the district, resulting in other schools having lower rankings.

In Irvine there is no Whitney or Oxford.  In Cerritos area parents send their kids to take the exam to get into Whitney.  Those who didn't make the cut for Whitney has option to attend lesser-known Valley Christian private school ($14K/year) or Cerritos HS.  Artesia HS and Gahr HS are considered less desirable.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_Christian_High_School_(Cerritos,_California)

Back