To fireplace or not to fireplace?

LAtoOC

Hello All -

Quick question, we have a self-contained (chimney just goes to side wall, not all the way up to top of house) gas fireplace in our living room. If effectively cuts the family room in half so there is a media niche on one side and the fireplace on the other. When we had a contractor come out, he gave us a price to remove the fireplace and just have a built-in that stretches across the entire space.

Reasons to remove:
1. The fireplace is next to our side-door and seems out of place
2. We will not be using this fireplace since we have young kids in the house (current ages - 4.5, 1.8 and 2 weeks)
3. I can center the TV in our family room and put in a really nice looking built-in

Reasons to leave it:
1. It does cost money to remove
2. Will future buyers pass on the house because of the lack of fireplace?

Thoughts?

We don't use our fireplace... but my wife insists on having one.

In our last home we used it maybe once or twice, in our current home... never.

I would remove it if it adds more functionality to your living space... but I'm anti-fireplace biased.

where will you put christmas stockings?

i would not remove it, but might bury it behind a built-in or pull-out section that could be removed when you are ready to sell.

Most buyers view a fireplace as slight negative.  No one really uses their fireplace in So Cal, it's only used for stockings for Christmas.  If it'll improve your current space and I say get rid of it.

PRO fireplace!!!

Not just for heat but ambiance, too. I put an iron candelabra with fat white candles in mine. A fireplace is a selling point for me. It has to have a nice mantle, too.

Btw, if anybody wants firewood, there's a spot off the 241 @ Portola Pkwy where it looks like they've got lots of hardwood(!) for sale. A phone number is posted up on a sign but I didn't get a chance to jot it down. Get you some wedges and a sledge hammer and you're good.

I don't understand the hazard talk. What are the safety issues? You guys have ovens, right? If we were in the UK where they use open fireplaces, I may agree. But we have screens and doors here.

Back