Tipping Contractors

jerometl

okay.. I'm lazy to go through search results so I'll just start a new thread ..

what are the general guidelines in tipping contractors ? 
Example: Flooring, Cabinets, Movers, Painters, Shutter installer, etc ? 

Hard to say, I tipped movers, but the others I didn't.  If they can seriously hurt or maim themselves under your employment, tip them if they didn't get mangled.

This is a good question.

Like ps9, for movers, I've tipped them. But for contractors who do work in my home for one or more days, I usually do the ps9 and feed them or at least get them sodas, water and Gatorade.

I'm not liking this social move, it's like you have to tip everyone.

Should I tip drive-thru people? :)

irvinehomeowner said:
This is a good question.

Like ps9, for movers, I've tipped them. But for contractors who do work in my home for one or more days, I usually do the ps9 and feed them or at least get them sodas, water and Gatorade.

I'm not liking this social move, it's like you have to tip everyone.

Should I tip drive-thru people? :)

I think the food/drinks thing is good for longterm contractors. 

Drive-through...do you normal tip for fast food?

yeah i dont know why everyone has to get tipped. if someone is doing hard manual labor and performing some shitty work, like movers, delivery guys, hotel maids, etc then yeah i agree with tipping.  the annoying part is why waiters at restaurants feel they are entitled to tips, in particular when they do a shitty job.

qwerty said:
yeah i dont know why everyone has to get tipped. if someone is doing hard manual labor and performing some shitty work, like movers, delivery guys, hotel maids, etc then yeah i agree with tipping.  the annoying part is why waiters at restaurants feel they are entitled to tips, in particular when they do a shitty job.

True but you can blame that on the American system of wages for restaurant wait staff.  It's basically $2+ an house plus tips.

Irvinecommuter said:
qwerty said:

True but you can blame that on the American system of wages for restaurant wait staff.  It's basically $2+ an house plus tips.

yeah but technically if the tips dont get them to the hourly wage equivalent the restaurant is supposed to make them whole. and in CA waiters already get the minimum wage.

I tipped my movers and treated them to lunch at a burger joint.  They were working hard so I did it to show my appreciation.

qwerty said:
Irvinecommuter said:
yeah but technically if the tips dont get them to the hourly wage equivalent the restaurant is supposed to make them whole. and in CA waiters already get the minimum wage.

+1.  This is something a lot of people don't understand.  Everyone always uses the argument that a waiter only makes $2/hr and has to rely on tips to survive or else they would starve since they only make $2/hr.  Simply not true.

Did you guys know that a Cheesecake waiter makes around $50k a year (tips + wages)?  This is just from working the standard 40 hour week.  No need to feel bad for waiters...

50k a year at cheesecake? That's pretty good. Most just Automatically tip 15% with no problem, the people you should tip 15% to with no problem are your gardeners and cleaning ladies, heck their should be a tipping cup in the bathroom of office building bathroom for the janitor. they bust their ass and then people try to nickel and dime them for the lowest rate possible. But the server carried a plate of food to your table and brought u a couple of refills and gets 15%. Sometimes I wonder if all the waiters in the restaurant industry were Hispanic, if tipping would still be so commonplace. We all know no one has a problem tipping whitey :)

qwerty said:
50k a year at cheesecake? That's pretty good. Most just Automatically tip 15% with no problem, the people you should tip 15% to with no problem are your gardeners and cleaning ladies, heck their should be a tipping cup in the bathroom of office building bathroom for the janitor. they bust their ass and then people try to nickel and dime them for the lowest rate possible. But the server carried a plate of food to your table and brought u a couple of refills and gets 15%. Sometimes I wonder if all the waiters in the restaurant industry were Hispanic, if tipping would still be so commonplace. We all know no one has a problem tipping whitey :)

Yea, $50k is so good that my buddy has a hard time going back to school to finish up his degree.  My first job out of school wasn't even $50k and I graduated with an engineering degree from a top university...

qwerty said:
Sometimes I wonder if all the waiters in the restaurant industry were Hispanic, if tipping would still be so commonplace. We all know no one has a problem tipping whitey :)
There are place where we eat where we've seen the Hispanic busboy move up the chain and eventually become a waiter. We usually tip him more, but not because he's Hispanic, but because he works really hard and gives us good service.

We tip by service not color.

NO COLOR LINES!!
eof-sherman-01192014.jpg

Back