Thinking of moving

I go back and forth on the pool thing. Obviously all the cost/maintenance/safety issues are the "cons" but man, it's so convenient to be able to have your own. Schlepping pool stuff to the community pool and dealing with people (esp some who don't play nicely) gets old fast.  Can also have someone come to you for lessons, etc. My nephews who are in junior high- all they do is swim, play and hang out in their backyard pool.

Yea, I think from the time they've learned to swim to about freshman in high school, a pool is pretty dominate. Not sure it's staying power or problem factor thru high school.

I moved out of Irvine almost six years ago (wow time flies) after living in Irvine for ten years.  I don't regret it at all either.......  Well except for when I want authentic Asian food.

I have an in-ground spa and that is all we need.  The previous owners of the house had plans drawn up to put a pool/spa and new landscaping in but decided against it and bought a house with a pool already.  That was good for me since it is my house now although the $200K+ backyard renovation they planned looked pretty spanking nice.

davenlei said:
I moved out of Irvine almost six years ago (wow time flies) after living in Irvine for ten years.  I don't regret it at all either.......  Well except for when I want authentic Asian food.

I grew up in LN and now live in Irvine.  Getting authentic asian food is definitely on the short list of reasons why I can't leave Irvine.  We are a dual income family so 75% of our meals are from restaurants.  We need close access to cheap, quick, and quality food.  Most of the time, only asian food will fit this criteria. 

oceanmonkey said:
anyone has the irvine pool construction regulation link?
@IHO @IHS  ??

Pool regulation for newer home and probably most of the home in Irvine are regulated by the HOA.  Every HOA's rule regarding to pool construction are different but in general, the guideline are pretty similar. 

Here's example of Cypress Village's guideline for pool construction.

Single Family Detached Homes
Swimming Pools / Spas:
1) Swimming pools/spas (in-ground or above-ground) are
permitted within the rear yard. All pools/spas are subject
to the Orange County Health Code and the following
requirements:

a) Swimming pools/spas must be set back a minimum of
three (3) feet clear of the rear and side property line
walls to provide a planting area between the pool and
the walls. Pools and spas are high activity areas and
shall be screened from Community and neighboring
views with substantial landscaping that includes
twenty-four (24) inch box evergreen screen trees
and/or fifteen (15) gallon minimum container size tall
vertical evergreen screen hedge adjacent to the
property line wall. Refer to Exhibit A, the Landscape
Palette.

you tell me... if this home is priced as the same ones that don't have with the pool, will you pass it?

Attachments

• pool-3.jpg
    pool-3.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 212
irvinehomeshopper said:
Congratulation on the little one! A decent pool size lot is rare. I  don't recommend Homes built prior to 2,000 in Laguna Niguel and Aliso Viejo.

Katherine Thompson built most of the homes in Aliso and she is no longer in business and so are most of the Laguna Niguel builders including the better ones like JM Peters, Bramalea and Shapell. These homes are full of construction defects and even some properties were improperly graded. Class action lawsuits there prompted improved construction management in the home industry. Post Y2K homes are better quality but lot sizes shrunk.

To do a pool and a code required pool fence the rear yard must be large enough to compartmentalize the 2 zones. I just don't think you will find properties large enough. Typically these neighborhoods have community pools and lots are quite small.

North Tustin and Cowan Heights are better choices. Foothill High School or OCHSA are in the similar caliber or better than the south county high schools. The lots are between 1/4 to 1/2 acre. The pool is essential for outdoor entertainment there. With your experience you can buy a fixer on a large lot.

Pool in a tract neighborhood is a losing investment. Future resale buyers don't value it.

So helpful, thank you!

woodburyowner said:
davenlei said:

I grew up in LN and now live in Irvine.  Getting authentic asian food is definitely on the short list of reasons why I can't leave Irvine.  We are a dual income family so 75% of our meals are from restaurants.  We need close access to cheap, quick, and quality food.  Most of the time, only asian food will fit this criteria. 

So we switched places.  I lived in Irvine and now live in LN.

lnc said:
oceanmonkey said:
@IHO @IHS  ??

Pool regulation for newer home and probably most of the home in Irvine are regulated by the HOA.  Every HOA's rule regarding to pool construction are different but in general, the guideline are pretty similar. 

Swimming Pools / Spas:
requirements:

Palette.

CV needs swimming pool guidelines? Are there any lots that's big enough for a (real) pool?

Honestly, I love having my own pool.  Who knows who's been in a public community pool.  The cost of the pool isn't all that high...$90/mo for pool service and about $50-$60/mo in additional utility charges. That's only $150/mo total.  There are minor things that come up here and there like if a rely goes out but that's less than $100.  The big expense comes when it's time to re-plaster the pool (every 7 or so years).  My pool doesn't close....it's open 24/7.  ;D

USCTrojanCPA said:
Honestly, I love having my own pool.  Who knows who's been in a public community pool.  The cost of the pool isn't all that high...$90/mo for pool service and about $50-$60/mo in additional utility charges. That's only $150/mo total.  There are minor things that come up here and there like if a rely goes out but that's less than $100.  The big expense comes when it's time to re-plaster the pool (every 7 or so years).  My pool doesn't close....it's open 24/7.  ;D

I'm jealous!

oceanmonkey said:
you tell me... if this home is priced as the same ones that don't have with the pool, will you pass it?

In a heartbeat.

That pool is trendy for playboy bachelor entertaining.  That's neither a family pool nor yard.  Although, I'd love the swim lane, it basically marks the yard u useable for anything but louging by the pool or laps.

nosuchreality said:
oceanmonkey said:

In a heartbeat.

That pool is trendy for playboy bachelor entertaining.  That's neither a family pool nor yard.  Although, I'd love the swim lane, it basically marks the yard u useable for anything but louging by the pool or laps.

what's wrong with playboy bachelor entertaining pool, do you hate beautiful pool? you can also use it as cool dad contemporary family picnic pool.
this backyard is 1500 sq ft, don't think any TIC property will offer even that big of a yard.

oceanmonkey said:

Is that glass slider the back of the house??? In that case, I would not buy it at all, or I would have to get a huge discount to rip out that pool completely and redo the yard. You need to be a tight rope walker to negotiate that thin strip of walkway between the pool and the house!!!

nosuchreality said:
oceanmonkey said:

In a heartbeat.

See, different strokes for different folks. We have completely opposite reactions to that pool. One person loves it, and I HATE it. But consider what neighborhood you'd be putting a pool like that in, and what the typical demographic of buyers for a house in that area. How many bachelors are buying in the South County family oriented burbs?

bones said:
lnc said:
oceanmonkey said:
@IHO @IHS  ??

Swimming Pools / Spas:
requirements:

Palette.

CV needs swimming pool guidelines? Are there any lots that's big enough for a (real) pool?

There's no lot big enough for a real pool, some Mulberry home might be able to do a very small lap pool.

HOA put this in there just in case some home owner has crazy ideas. 

Back