Theology Thread

[quote author="skek" date=1213855091]So why is there pain and suffering? .</blockquote>

It prevents us from taking things for granted skek, it makes us more compassionate and it's part of the "Live and learn" experience....

Only after experiencing pain and suffering can we truly *feel* what others are going through, in essence, it makes us better People.

Great post by the way.

It sounds like this discussion is headed directly down the path of Kant's philosophy.

Might I suggest his <em><a href="http://etext.library.adelaide.edu.au/k/kant/immanuel/k16p/k16p80.html">Critique of Pure Reason</a></em> as a starting book? It seems a likely candidate as it deals directly with all of these issues, including the "need" for God, the nature of God, free will, the existence of "good" and "evil", and their application to nature and natural events. I think those that have spoken up so far would find it very interesting.

It is not Grisham-style speed reading, but then again, it doesn't have one of his crappy endings. :mad:

(I'll never read one of his books again. And I'll never see any M.Night Shyamalan movies either. I've given both of them far too many chances.)

This comes with the disclaimer that I am in no way an expert in theology. My undergrad experience at Santa Clara University (Jesuits) required/allowed me to pursue some philosophy courses including metaphysics to go along with my biochemistry degree.

[quote author="IrvineRealtor" date=1213917605]It sounds like this discussion is headed directly down the path of Kant's philosophy..</blockquote>

I heard Kant was born, raised, educated, taught, wrote, and died all in the same town......He never married, so he obviously had a lot of time to think...

I have never read any kind of Book on philosophy because to me all I would be doing is reading someone elses theories....I'd rather live life and come up with my own but that's just me...

The point about the bad stuff making us appreciate good stuff is well

taken, and goes back (at least) to the Romans musing about Jupiter.

However, we Americans really haven't experienced really bad stuff. We're

worried about a housing crises, and a stock market selloff.

How about the black plague? 33-50% of Europeans wiped out in one

swoop? Attila the Hun? Genghis Khan?

The arrival of white and black people in the Americans to the Amerinds?

(95-98% die off over several centuries).

WW II and the Holocaust?

Also, what about heaven, wherein we are supposed to be happy without

respite? Is heaven not really heavenly? Assuming it exists?

Yeah, Catholic ceremonies could be thrilling. I knew it was a dying institution

when they stopped using Gregorian chant. The sermons always sucked though.

Maaaagnificaaaaat omine meus (?) dominooooo. Gorgeous.

[quote author="lawyerliz" date=1213920715]

How about the black plague? 33-50% of Europeans wiped out in one

swoop? Attila the Hun? Genghis Khan?

The arrival of white and black people in the Americans to the Amerinds?

(95-98% die off over several centuries).

WW II and the Holocaust?

Also, what about heaven, wherein we are supposed to be happy without

respite? Is heaven not really heavenly? Assuming it exists?

Maaaagnificaaaaat omine meus (?) dominooooo. Gorgeous.</blockquote>

Liz, the equivelent to WWII and the Holocaust is still happening in many parts of the world....a good percentage of the world are suffering which always poses the question "Are we in Hell right now"?

When I was at School we were forced to start every Day in Assembly, we would sing a Hymn, say the Lords Prayer or get the Cane from the Headmaster...they also took the opportunity to line up all the Kids who had misbehaved the Day before and give them a Public whacking, either 3 or 6 of the best.

Conform or die you little Buggers!!

Luckily for me, it was only the Cane, 300 years previously I would have been burned at the stake... :ahhh:

No wonder I'm agnostic...

Gee, I thought those Dickensian beatings ended long ago.

When I was asked something on a paper or test in Catholic School that

I disagreed with, I would say the answer you want is---

I don't agree with that because---- I think the true answer is-----.

Got marked down in theology class in college once for that, but never

high school or grade school.

Actually, I think the shove it down your throat thing is excellent practice

in resisting pressure, and figuring out what is wrong or illogical with

Catholic theology is excellent mental training. After all the best minds

worked on this stuff for millenia, literally.

Of course most people for most of history thought that the gods were limited

in scope, altho they were usually immortal. The first gods were most likely

goddesses, but that is a topic to be dealt with at some other time. Some

of those gods were not pleasant at all. All of them were capricious. Well,

fortune is capricious.

When I was in religion/theology class, I thought that the godlings were silly,

and it only made sense that God was all powerful, all this and all that. Now

I think that those earlier thinkers really did have something going. Some places

are so beautiful that they seem magic, so assigning a godling/sprite/nymph/elf

to them is lovely and poetical. Also, if a forest is deemed sacred, it is liess likely

to be cut down, which can be a really good thing.

Likewise, the thought that the sun might not rise the next day is terrifying. So

terrifying to the Aztecs that they had to make sure someone (or a lot of someones)

were sacrificed each day to make sure the next day would happen.

Even so, did they sacrifice fewer innocents than the

spanish Inquisition did? Not much to chose from between the Aztecs and the

Conquistodores. All in all, I'd rather be slaughtered by having my heart torn

out than by burning. I imagine the former is over in a few seconds, but burning. .

shudder.

It may be that a bigger, more powerful god makes for bigger more powerful people

running things, or vice versa.

Also, some of this has something to do with the science/math of the time the idea

of the particular god was being developed. For example, there was a time before

the idea of infinity was invented. You weren't going to have an infinite Ggod if

you don't have the idea of infinity.

Likewise, before the idea of mechanical clocks, you aren't going to have a clockwork

universe, which is precise, and ideally at least knowable, by someOne who is all

knowing. You can be as powerful as heck, but if you are not all knowing, there is

some wiggle room for various concepts, and a bit less pride for the religious types.

Now, what I tried to say previously, is that we are now beyond the clockwork universe.

At certain scales it breaks down and is wrong. We are in a universe of uncertainty.

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle sez that as you get down to the very very small

you cannot know both hmmmm, the speed and direction is it of a paricle? If you stick

a probe in there, you alter things. (My quantum physics is 40 years old, so please forgive

me if I don't have this exactly right.) If you add that to chaos theory, which I don't pretend

to understand very much, you have very small changes having very big consequence. A much

fuzzier universe.

(Chaos theory began when a scientist--I think a weather scientist --was running a program

which drew out some nice curves or ovals. He ran it for a while and then something happened

and he had to run the program again. Because he was lazy, or he didn't think it would matter,

he cut off the imputs at 4 decimal places. Like having to worry about .00009 cents instead of

worrying about .0001 cents. Well, surprise, surprise. Some of his future runs were just an eensy

weensy amount off. But some of them were 'way 'way 'way off. And so a new science was

born. Hence the idea of a butterfly flapping its wings in the Amazon ultimately causing a typhoon

in Burma, maybe.)

Add the 2 together, and worries about free will vs an omnipotent god kinda go away.

The world becomes as radically uncertain as it used to be before the mechanical

clocks. If any theologians are worrying about this I don't know about it.

So if God did exist and chose to cause an earthquake because of say, gay marriage in Calfornia,

or better yet a tornado centering itself in the white house, and chose to do it by making a very

very small intervention, s/he might not get it right!! It might not be theoretically possible. Nobody,

not even God, can make a circle square or one and one make 16. The intervention might have

to be big enough that we mortals might notice!! I personally haven't witnessed any miracles,

but I am willing to concede that somebody else might have.

Maybe tomorrow, if we all can stand it, a few more thoughts on evil. Heck, one debating point.

If you could go back in time and strangle Hitler in his cradle, would you? A Catholic type I know

said he wouldn't, because the future could've been even worse without him. I said I would, in

a heartbeat.

Gee, I thought those Dickensian beatings ended long ago.

When I was asked something on a paper or test in Catholic School that

I disagreed with, I would say the answer you want is---

I don't agree with that because---- I think the true answer is-----.

Got marked down in theology class in college once for that, but never

high school or grade school.

Actually, I think the shove it down your throat thing is excellent practice

in resisting pressure, and figuring out what is wrong or illogical with

Catholic theology is excellent mental training. After all the best minds

worked on this stuff for millenia, literally.

Of course most people for most of history thought that the gods were limited

in scope, altho they were usually immortal. The first gods were most likely

goddesses, but that is a topic to be dealt with at some other time. Some

of those gods were not pleasant at all. All of them were capricious. Well,

fortune is capricious.

When I was in religion/theology class, I thought that the godlings were silly,

and it only made sense that God was all powerful, all this and all that. Now

I think that those earlier thinkers really did have something going. Some places

are so beautiful that they seem magic, so assigning a godling/sprite/nymph/elf

to them is lovely and poetical. Also, if a forest is deemed sacred, it is liess likely

to be cut down, which can be a really good thing.

Likewise, the thought that the sun might not rise the next day is terrifying. So

terrifying to the Aztecs that they had to make sure someone (or a lot of someones)

were sacrificed each day to make sure the next day would happen.

Even so, did they sacrifice fewer innocents than the

spanish Inquisition did? Not much to chose from between the Aztecs and the

Conquistodores. All in all, I'd rather be slaughtered by having my heart torn

out than by burning. I imagine the former is over in a few seconds, but burning. .

shudder.

It may be that a bigger, more powerful god makes for bigger more powerful people

running things, or vice versa.

Also, some of this has something to do with the science/math of the time the idea

of the particular god was being developed. For example, there was a time before

the idea of infinity was invented. You weren't going to have an infinite Ggod if

you don't have the idea of infinity.

Likewise, before the idea of mechanical clocks, you aren't going to have a clockwork

universe, which is precise, and ideally at least knowable, by someOne who is all

knowing. You can be as powerful as heck, but if you are not all knowing, there is

some wiggle room for various concepts, and a bit less pride for the religious types.

Now, what I tried to say previously, is that we are now beyond the clockwork universe.

At certain scales it breaks down and is wrong. We are in a universe of uncertainty.

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle sez that as you get down to the very very small

you cannot know both hmmmm, the speed and direction is it of a paricle? If you stick

a probe in there, you alter things. (My quantum physics is 40 years old, so please forgive

me if I don't have this exactly right.) If you add that to chaos theory, which I don't pretend

to understand very much, you have very small changes having very big consequence. A much

fuzzier universe.

(Chaos theory began when a scientist--I think a weather scientist --was running a program

which drew out some nice curves or ovals. He ran it for a while and then something happened

and he had to run the program again. Because he was lazy, or he didn't think it would matter,

he cut off the imputs at 4 decimal places. Like having to worry about .00009 cents instead of

worrying about .0001 cents. Well, surprise, surprise. Some of his future runs were just an eensy

weensy amount off. But some of them were 'way 'way 'way off. And so a new science was

born. Hence the idea of a butterfly flapping its wings in the Amazon ultimately causing a typhoon

in Burma, maybe.)

Add the 2 together, and worries about free will vs an omnipotent god kinda go away.

The world becomes as radically uncertain as it used to be before the mechanical

clocks. If any theologians are worrying about this I don't know about it.

Little side note on uncertainty principle. It has nothing to do with a probe or disturbing a state while trying to measure it. It states that both position & momentum can not be definitely known, EVER. Those properties are entangled and can't be "isolated" beyond the uncertainty constant. So, no matter how hard we try or what technology might be available, it's a measurement that will never be made with absolute certainty.

<em>"If anyone can point me to an MP3 of that particular chant, I?d be eternally grateful (pun intended)". </em>

Skek, I Googled around a bit but couldn't find it. Perhaps you'd be interested

<a href="http://www.goarch.org/en/chapel/chant.asp">in this ?</a> ;-P

But seriously, I did find it...it's called

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Litany_of_the_Saints">Litany of the Saints</a>

<object width="325" height="250"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/youtube" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="325" height="250"></embed></object>

[quote author="lawyerliz" date=1213818283]

Ok, let's start with the biggest of the biggies: the problem of

evil. If God exists, and he/she is good, why is there evil? And

what is evil?</blockquote>
I'm late to the party but I used to love this kind of conversation over a cup of coffee in some diner at 3AM so I am gonna jump in with:

Evil exists in the selfishness of our thoughts and actions. Carried to the extreme you have genocide in an effort to secure total control, but it can be as simple as starting a rumor about someone because you want to hurt them anonymously or cutting off a slower driver on the highway because you are in a hurry. The action isn't important, the motive is what matters. "Evil" is simply the self-centered selfishness of our species; magnified, compounded, and concentrated on one another. By this standard, I am indulging in evil behavior everytime I tell someone off on a chat board. :smirk:

I had to answer the second part to answer the first part. God gave man free will, so the story goes, so that he may choose for himself Heaven or Hell. If that is true, then God must allow evil to exist as it is an expression of man's free will. If we allow evil to go unchecked, God has to 'allow' it in order to provide us the option of choosing good, rather than evil. On a more practical note, there is a God, I'm not it, and that's all I really need to know.

<a href="http://www.uninvited.com/songs/god_title.html">What God Said</a> - you can also find it <a href="http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?i=744920&id=744935&s=143441">here</a>

Where I am at with the problem of evil is still being stuck on natural disasters. I see no point in a good, powerful God allowing them to exist at all. He can see that man will cause enough suffering on the planet. Why do we need nature to add to it? The idea of having the bad so we can appreciate the good would be plenty well served without tornadoes and droughts. It's just God piling on. I wonder why more people don't wish for him to go away.

Faithful who survive some disease or disaster thank God for their survival; they say they are blessed. I say, why didn't he save those who died? Wouldn't the survivors be more blessed if they hadn't had the disease or disaster to begin with?

I also have a problem with the "standard" interpretation of the part of the New Testament wherein if you don't put your faith in Christ, then you go to hell. Why would a loving God condemn the vast majority of the people who have ever lived to go to hell? Seems like an angry, selfish dick to me.

I used to be very much into "mainstream," Protestant, non-denominational Christianity. I've read the entire Bible, I've led Bible studies, etc. However, since I have been honestly asking myself these questions, I have more and more trouble believing as I used to. I've moved more into wondering if it isn't all a bunch of baloney that we believe so we don't have to face our own mortality. It could very well be that when we die, we just die. That is a crushingly sad thought for most people.

Okay... this thread made me think we need to dig up the "what are you reading thread" too. Sorry, I am too lazy to search for it, but I think Eff started it. And, I am sorry I will not contribute to this thread at this time, but the people here are readers and I thought that we could get that thread up and running again. Maybe even start an IHB ubernerdy book club. But, it would have to vary from financial to housing to theology to just a good old fiction read.

Currently I am reading a preview of OCR's <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Chain-Blame-Street-Caused-Mortgage/dp/0470292776/">Matt Padilla's book Chain of Blame</a>. And... I am loving it, it is a great read and historically awesome.

Sorry to thread crash such a great thread, but I thought if this were there place to crash about reading, this would be the thread to crash. IHBers what say ye?

[quote author="skek" date=1213855091]Liz, no offense taken. I offer the Judeo-Christian take because that's my tradition and what I feel qualified to offer. I have the highest respect for other belief systems and hope to see them represented on this thread, but aside from that one "Comparative World Religions" seminar I took in undergrad, I don't believe I should be the one offering a Buddhist explanation for the existence of evil.</blockquote>

Now, I will add to this thread. I, like skek, am no expert in Buddhism, but I have read enough to have a basic understanding. <a href="http://buddhism.about.com/od/basicbuddhistteachings/a/evil.htm">I copy and paste from about.com</a>, only because they convey the words I wish I were able to write.

<em>

Some religions teach that evil is a force outside ourselves that seduces us into sin. This force is sometimes thought to be generated by Satan or various demons. The faithful are encouraged to seek strength outside themselves to fight evil, by looking to God.

The Buddha's teaching could not be more different --

"By oneself, indeed, is evil done; by oneself is one defiled. By oneself is evil left undone; by oneself, indeed, is one purified. Purity and impurity depend on oneself. No one purifies another." (Dhammapada, chapter 12, verse 165)

Buddhism teaches us that evil is something we create, not something we are or some outside force that infects us.</em>

<a href="http://buddhism.about.com/od/thefournobletruths/a/fournobletruths.htm">I also recommend reading about the four noble truths</a>.

1. The truth of suffering (dukkha)

2. The truth of the cause of suffering (samudaya)

3. The truth of the end of suffering (nirhodha)

4. The truth of the path that frees us from suffering (magga)

<a href="http://www.mtsource.org/talks/Evil.htm">And, here is another great read on Buddhism and evil</a>. Regardless of your political leanings, it still has some great points.

[quote author="graphrix" date=1214055462]Maybe even start an IHB ubernerdy book club. </blockquote>
What are these book things? Is that like the internet on paper?

Ok, let's look at some sources of non human evil.

Say, hurricanes. Say volcanos.

The hub worked for the hurricane center and we were totalled

in Andrew, so I have experienced and have absorbed some real

stuff with regard to hurricanes.

First of all, hurricanes are necessary. They serve to move heat

from where it comes in most strongly to the north. Also, a significant

fraction of water in Florida comes from hurricanes. Is there a better

way to do this? Will the equivalent of the Star Trek engineers of Riasa

do it better some day than god? Maybe. In fact, probably.

If it is simply an impersonal force, well, some people will get in the

way sometimes and get hurt. You can minimize hurt. Here's where

the human evil comes in. Before Andrew, people, who are short lived

compared to a lot of things, including hurricane cycles, had rules

called building codes to build things strong enough to withstand

hurricanes. People called developers did various things to evade

the codes to either make more money or product cheaper products.

Even in Andrew, which was a 5, there was one development which

looked like the hole in the doughnut, which only suffered broken tiles

and such, surrounded by utter devastation. That developer had

gone out of business. It built too well and expensively.

Lennar houses suffered worse than average

because of the shoddy construction.

One person gets killed by a flying shard of wood. Another person

doesn't. Another set of people (my family) took to the road, and

endured a 7 hour traffic jam, instead of somewhat fewer hours of

utter terror. Luck, fate, or as no vas would say, variance. It would be

nice to think that there was some kind of reason for this, but I don't

see it.

Volcanos. The Romans built on the slopes of Vesuvius. They didn't

know what they were doing. Altho the word Volcano comes from the

god Vulcan, they didn't even have a word for volcano, or so I heard

on a tv special. Lots of people dying horribly, if quickly, in a pyrocastic

flow. Impersonal force. Little or nothing in the way of human evil

Evil. Italians are still building there. They KNOW that it will blow again.

Just not when. Again according to tv, they haven't the roads to evacuate

quickly enough. This is human evil/stupidity, and nothing to do with

any hypothetical god, which some escapee will undoubtedly bless, when

they have their big one.

Earthquakes. If it weren't for plate techtonics, I've read that the earth

would be dead, but I don't remember exactly why.

Human evil is much more interesting, I think. Particularly when we all

agree on certain items of good (let's just look at them for now.) AND people

who comply with those particular good things actually benefit from same,

and it's pretty obvious that they do. So why don't people virtually always

comply with those good things?

My answer is that there are hidden benefits to doing the evil thing. Of

course, sometimes the benefits are obvious, or at least seems to be.

Back