The Preserve, SFR by Toll Brothers in Yorba Linda

ps99472

Did a quick search and didn't see any discussions on these homes.. Here's the link to their website
http://www.tollbrothers.com/homesearch/servlet/HomeSearch?app=community_models&comm_num=9506

Any opinions on these?  Seems to be below $300/sq ft.  Floorplan layout is a little strange compared to Irvine (what's a living room?).  Near a golf course and an elementary school.  Hopefully no mello roos, don't know what HOA is.  Maybe I'll visit them and Corte Bella next weekend. 

ps99472 said:
Did a quick search and didn't see any discussions on these homes.. Here's the link to their website
http://www.tollbrothers.com/homesearch/servlet/HomeSearch?app=community_models&comm_num=9506

Any opinions on these?  Seems to be below $300/sq ft.  Floorplan layout is a little strange compared to Irvine (what's a living room?).  Near a golf course and an elementary school.  Hopefully no mello roos, don't know what HOA is.  Maybe I'll visit them and Corte Bella next weekend. 
Those are the "baby" Tolls as one of my buyers put it (Qwerty).  He and his wife went to check them a few weeks ago (I wasn't able to go with them) so shoot him a PM and get his thoughts.  Also check out the MBK development over in Vista Del Verde (they are large homes in the $800k range).

firsttimer said:
My husband and I are considering these. No HOA, No MelloRoos. The models should be open sometime in August.

No HOA could be good or bad.  It takes one lousy neighbor to ruin a neighborhood.  Don't know how strict the city of YL is, the sales guy mentioned some type of city CCR.  I was able to visit this past weekend, here are some notable points...

the good:  prices are below $300/sq ft. even better with no mello roos, some choice view lots, lottery system for fairness of home selection, homes come standard with plenty of upgrades included, no mello roos, surrounded by million dollar homes, close to golf course (if ur an golfer),  you can pick the elevation/style of your house, no mello roos,

the bad:  NO MODELS!  small lots, El Dorado HS instead of YL HS (sales guy said you can petition for inner district transfer but probably not a guarantee), some of the layouts are funky (plan 2), fires + santa ana's + no city fire dept = SOL, Brea police patrols meaning slow response times?,  stuck up neighbors/residents (i have friends who worked in YL with customer service jobs and they said it was horrendous), some eyesores in the city (old, unkept houses, weird massage businesses in shady looking commercial lots), far from freeway.

the ugly:  not Irvine, no decent Chinese nor Japanese food per yelp, 91 freeway, more old people, living on old oil wells (health concerns?)

i went and visited this past weekend.  Wife and I actually walked all the way to the corner and walked through the 2 models currently under construction.  First, I like that it is serviced by Lakeview Elementary and Yorba Middle School.  2 very decent schools.  As to El Dorado vs. the brand new Yorba Linda high, it's up in the air... 

No assoc and no mello is cool with me.  There are plenty of parks I can drive to instead.  Paying $6K-7K a year in mello + another $1500-3000 per year in association dues... well,  for that money I'm sure I can find a suitable replacement.  Being Korean, I can find my way to buena park, fullerton, or garden grove for asian food and grocery needs. 

The prices were decent so this is something we are seriously considering.  The bad for me is I work in Newport Beach, so I will be adding 30 minutes to my commute, which is currently from West Irvine.  I can take Imperial all the way down to Canon to Santiago Canyon to Jamboree...  it wasn't tooooo bad...  But I may end up buying a commuter beater, but i can do so with the monthly savings...

akim997 said:
i went and visited this past weekend.  Wife and I actually walked all the way to the corner and walked through the 2 models currently under construction.  First, I like that it is serviced by Lakeview Elementary and Yorba Middle School.  2 very decent schools.  As to El Dorado vs. the brand new Yorba Linda high, it's up in the air... 

No assoc and no mello is cool with me.  There are plenty of parks I can drive to instead.  Paying $6K-7K a year in mello + another $1500-3000 per year in association dues... well,  for that money I'm sure I can find a suitable replacement.  Being Korean, I can find my way to buena park, fullerton, or garden grove for asian food and grocery needs. 

The prices were decent so this is something we are seriously considering.  The bad for me is I work in Newport Beach, so I will be adding 30 minutes to my commute, which is currently from West Irvine.  I can take Imperial all the way down to Canon to Santiago Canyon to Jamboree...  it wasn't tooooo bad...  But I may end up buying a commuter beater, but i can do so with the monthly savings...
Have you guys looked at Serrano Heights over in Orange (it's right by Anaheim Hills off Noah Ranch and Serrano)?  The smaller DR Horton homes trade for around $250-$260/sf while the larger Centex homes trade for around $230-$240/sf.  I do think the schools in Yorba Linda are better than the ones that service Serrano Heights.

Yes, we looked at Serrano.  It's not bad and priced okay.  Although all of Serrano, from what I've seen, has HOAs and Mello... 

akim997 said:
Yes, we looked at Serrano.  It's not bad and priced okay.  Although all of Serrano, from what I've seen, has HOAs and Mello... 
Yeah, the HOA is $84/mo and the Mello Roos ranges from $2,000 to $2,600 per year (depending upon the size of the home you buy). 

hmmm...  interesting... 

is that area serviced by linda vista elementary?  assuming schools are decent, it may be a viable option...

i had a friend who lived there a couple years back, his only complaint was the congestion on canon as the major street into serrano heights.

akim997 said:
hmmm...  interesting... 

is that area serviced by linda vista elementary?  assuming schools are decent, it may be a viable option...

i had a friend who lived there a couple years back, his only complaint was the congestion on canon as the major street into serrano heights.
The Elementary School is Anaheim Hills, the Grade School is El Rancho, and the High School is Canyon High School (in Anaheim Hills off Imperial).  I have a property in escrow there and I've driven up there during rush hour and the traffic isn't that had.  You are on Canon for all of 1/2 mile.  You take Serrano down to Canon and then make a left on Santiago and keep going until it end and hits Jamboree.  The drive from the home is about 11.5 miles (16 minutes) to the 5 & Jamboree during rush hour.

ps99472 said:

Those look identical to the tract on the west side of V.D.V. that was built around 2002 (streets such as Vista Moraga, Camino Ceremanon, etc. I believe it's called "Augusta".) I wonder why those do have an HOA but not that.

Even though the ppsf is low, when there is an HOA, it looks like the dues can get pretty hefty. For example, it's $252 at Vellagio and I saw another section with dues of $350.

Regarding no mello roos, in case you're curious like me and wonder where all the millions of dollars are coming from to rehabilitate 22 of PYLUSD's schools in addition to building several new facilities and a bunch of other projects, the district's site has info on what was the Meausure Y and is now the Measure A Bond. About the Measure A and Measure Y Bonds. In that link, it explains the breakdown for Measure Y:
budget-wheel.gif

SoCal78 said:
Those look identical to the tract on the west side of V.D.V. that was built around 2002 (streets such as Vista Moraga, Camino Ceremanon, etc. I believe it's called "Augusta".) I wonder why those do have an HOA but not that.

Ahh! Augusta.  The memories come rushing back when I put a deposit down but backed out to stay in Irvine in 2002.

In case you have not figured out yet, the Augusta tract in Vista Del Verde development has a community pool.  However, it's a small pool.  Not one of those junior olympic size pools you see all over the place in Irvine.  Also, the association takes care of some slopes in the community.

firsttimer said:
The models are now open. Has anyone seen them?

We saw these, they built the Petaluma and Reviera as models only.  The Petalum has a pretty nice layout, would definitely convert the study on the first floor into a 4th bedroom. The kitchen has one of those angled islands and there appear to be some slight spacing issues with the kitchen and living room, you will have to be careful on how you set up your living room furniture so you dont get too close to the kitchen island, not too big of a deal though. Overall though, both models are very nice though. the location once you get there is nice, but the drive up lakeview not so much. Not too long ago they were asking for up to a 50K premium on some of those kick ass view lots, but 50K seems pricey for the view.

**Major Bump**

I'll probably be known here as the Yorba Linda guy who always posts on TI!  8)

Ironically, as I was driving home from work today, I get a call from the Preserve. Interested to see what they had to say, I let it go to voicemail. Isn't she nice? She left me a voicemail to give me a headstart and the honor to "put in an offer" on Lot 22 (Brookside Interior Lot, no view, but on a cul de sac). It's framed and they're doing electrical and ready for an October closing. She clearly didn't listen to me when I first walked in there almost 2 months ago when I said I needed a Feb 2012 or later closing date. Anyways, I digress. Here is my own personal experience with them.

When I first went in there, I didn't have a broker. I walked through the 2 models (Petaluma and Riveria). Petaluma is the better of the two but still has it's awkwardness. It's approx 2500 sq ft, 3 bd, 2.5ba.It has an option for a downstairs bedroom, but it costs $14k to add that option. The models are decked out even more so than other models at other communities (at least $120k+ in options and some of them are designer features you can't even get). So i watched and waited and then came a Petaluma View Lot. When I first inquired about the view lots, they had $50k premiums on it like "firsttimer" posted in February. For the past 2-3 months, it's been jacked up to 90k! Sooo as the economy got worse, they inflated their premium price and didn't budge on the home price and have no incentives. Doesn't make sense to me. Anyways, the lot was (and still is) going for $710k + $90k = $800k for a 2500 sq ft home with NO options. I first presented an offer at 730k. Some may say it was too low, but hey, for the record, I asked her face to face, if 730 would be an insulting offer and if so, let's not waste eachother's time. I guess she gets a bonus for every offer she submits, because their corporate office didn't even give me a counter, in fact, it took 9 days to get a no-counter response back. 9 days! Okay, so I waited a couple of weeks, got a broker and used her as the middleman to submit my subsequent offer of 750k. Still nothing. I feel like i'm playing Deal or No Deal by myself and the banker left for lunch. Remembering that this is a BUYER'S market, and they didn't want to come to the table, I walked. They seemed 110% confident that they would sell it for $800k...This was 4 weeks ago...fast forward to today? Still sitting there alongside all their other inventory homes. They have homes they've slashed because the floorplan is really inconvenient. Check out their Riveria and you'll know what I mean. It's kind of sad how they can call that "nook" a full blown dining area...

http://www.tollbrothers.com/homesearch/servlet/HomeSearch?app=model_floorplans&plan_id=52480

Here's the kicker that I didn't llke, so I'm driving home and she decides to call me trying to pitch me to Brookside. Not wanting to tell her right off the bat that I'm already in contract at Greenbrier, I ask a few more questions. After I've gotten enough info, I tell her I went to contract on a Plan 1 at Greenbrier. Man, did she ever take the MBK name and drag it through the mud. VERY unprofessional. Sure she wasn't super mean, but it was that snippy attitude that implied that MBK is no competition to Toll Brothers and that I got ripped off. That's what hit the wrong nerve. She tried to compare a 2500sq ft, 3bd 2.5 ba, zero lot line view home with my 3125sqft 4bd +loft, 3 bath, that sits on a bigger lot with side and backyards. Her home came with NO incentives. I got $20k+ of incentives and upgrades (upgraded flooring, Viking 6 burner range, and the 4th bedroom conversion for only a $9k bump vs. the standard $18k conversion cost). You don't have to be a mathematician to figure that out. The location of the two developments are RIGHT next to each other, so it's not like she can say her development has a better location than mine. She straight up bashed MBK's quality of homes. I'm team-mbk now, so i was offended not only for them, but also as an individual as she was indirectly insulting my intelligence literally saying that I made a horrible decision and that I did not get a good deal. Who says that?! Then she has the audacity to say, "if it doesn't work out over there for whatever reason, give me a call, i'd love to get you into one of our homes..." Really? I'd rather stay in my 700sq ft box condo than go back to The Preserve...

After that tense phone call, I felt compelled to call my ever so nice saleslady at Greenbrier and inform them of their trash talking. The only reason I did this was because when I first told my greenbrier rep that I went to the Preserve before, she was being all nice and had nothing but positive things to say about the company, development and salesladies, when in reality, Toll Brothers will talk sh*t about MBK to get a sale. Word out is that Greenbrier has stolen a lot of their buyers! I'm proud to say I was one of them.

Lessons Learned: Be wary of the preserve. There are decent deals out there if you can put up with their awkward floorplans, zero lot lines and stubborness/cocky-ness of a corporate office. They apparently have not read the news or are aware of the current financial situation of our country / housing industry. They have the same lots as 6 weeks ago and sales are slow, but don't take that as a cue that they will give you a great deal. Be careful. Ask lots of questions and get everything in writing. I found out from their agreement that they don't have a financial contingency clause. So you better not lose your job before you close escrow.....or else say bye bye to your deposit.

Just FYI--Not all my posts are negative reviews of communities. See my Greenbrier review.  ;) I also do like Las Ventanas in PS; Taylor Morrison Sales team was very nice and responsive! I was waiting for a Phase 6/7, but the No Mello Roos or HOA's of Yorba Linda tipped the scales for me.

Curious if anyone has an update on this development.  From the few visits there they seemed to have trimmed the development to only two plans to choose from, the Riviera and the Penteluma.  As a few have mentioned before, the Riviera IMHO is a a little inferior model.  No foyer/formal entrance really bugged me.  The Penteluma is a nice efficient model with downstairs den/4BR.  Some spacing issues with the curved island and living room but the model overall is very impressive given the space.

Apparently others agree as I cruised Redfin to find both plans listed with nearly 120K difference in price despite similar square footage.

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Yorba-Linda/18401-Homestead-Ave-92886/home/21933213

compare versus

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Yorba-Linda/3927-Congressional-Ct-92886/home/40318743

I know last time I was there they seemed very willing to negotiate on the lot premium but not sure about overall prices.  Anyone know what's the deal with the Penteluma model? 

yes, lot size is small considering it's YL.  No HOA or MR if I recall though?  I'm curious why the huge difference in plan prices.

Back