The end of the road

I agree, be patient with the teachers. Most are really in the profession to help as much as they can. Irvine has the resources for its schools, but be careful as the only teachers they hire are those with inside connections.

The best advice I have for parents is to be involved. Volunteer in the classroom every other week during instructional time and be certain to attend PTA meetings. This will provide you with credibility with the teacher and the principal before major challenges occur. I know it take the investment of time, but just like saving money early shouldn't you be willing to invest in your kids the same way.

It's not bad advice, however, I am very involved. That's how I know what I posted about. After all, I am the room parent. The problem has gone on a while now. She can retire in 5 years. Maybe she thinks she's untouchable.

SoCal said:
Hallelujah. Today marks my last day as Room Parent for one of the most difficult teachers I've ever met in all my years of classroom involvement. I just finished hosting the class party and could not be happier. I'm never doing this again! What a year. Even at the party, a random mom and a random dad individually told me about the crazy and inappropriate things she has said to them, to their children, and to the class in front of them. I've heard stories like this all year long so I know it's not just me who has the problem. Of course, she couldn't let this day go by without throwing in some more snide remarks about the party that I worked so hard on and was up all night putting together last night. How nice. I hope she thoroughly, and I do mean THOROUGHLY, enjoys that Chipotle gift card. Wink, wink.

Difficult teacher and you gave a gift basket? Again, give examples.

eyephone said:
Difficult teacher and you gave a gift basket? Again, give examples.

No, that's not the case. The gift I think you're referring to was given on behalf of the class. How it works is that a teacher's year-end gift is outlined along with all expenditures in the class budget at the beginning of the year when funds are collected. For the first time ever, after much thought, I ultimately declined to give a personal year-end gift, beyond the contributions already made.

jmoney74 said:
guess there won't be details.

Just ambiguous ranting.

Sorry, TI is not my full-time job. I've been busy, especially the last few days. The intent in starting this thread back in May was to share a simple and versatile craft idea for a year-end gift as the school year draws to a close. I thought the parents here might like to discuss some easy ideas they could throw together for their teachers. As far as any additional info goes, especially info that may be private or identifying, it's very simple: I will share what I want to, when I want to, as I'm able to, and with whom I want to.

Back