The 2020 Presidential Election

School should and could be much safer, but the resources are not allocated this way. The common argument is local control, with the majority of funding coming from each state individually. Therefore, money talks, but states need to be more pointed in how this money or other money is used.

I believe California should lead on this issue here, where we have more of a say.

Kangen.Irvine said:
School should and could be much safer, but the resources are not allocated this way. The common argument is local control, with the majority of funding coming from each state individually. Therefore, money talks, but states need to be more pointed in how this money or other money is used.

I believe California should lead on this issue here, where we have more of a say.

It?s more than that.
Go read about what happened at Valencia. What type of gun did the kid used?

Schools are NOT more dangerous. In fact they are far safer today than in the 90's.  I have NO qualms about sending my children to school in fear of being victims of a school shooting.  You have a better chance of hitting the lottery.

Despite a rise in violence in schools throughout the country, the probability of an active shooter committing an atrocious crime at your child?s school remains very small.

However, the violence a shooter inflicts has a huge impact on the school and community, which has been demonstrated time and time again since the school shooting at Columbine High School in Columbine, Colorado, in 1999.

?False reporting?
Nationally, according to a report by Amy Klinger and Amanda Klinger, authors of ?Keeping Students Safe Every Day: How to Prepare and Respond to School Violence, Natural Disasters and Other Hazards,? incidents like the one that occurred at Tohatchi High, which they call ?false reporting? or ?mock attack,? contribute to the idea that shootings at schools happen often. The annual 2018-19 report released by the Educator?s School Safety Network, a national nonprofit organization, stated the most common threats recorded were ?unspecified? threats of violence.

Nearly 50 percent of all threats schools reported were not active shooting-related. The Klingers found that more than 25 percent were shooting threats, again not active shooter-related. A threat, the Klingers wrote, is a defined ?as an expressed intent to do harm.?

Francisco said the Tohatchi incident came in not as an active shooter call, but as a domestic situation where a student threatened to harm himself on school grounds.

According to the school district?s 2019-20 secondary-grades 6-12 student behavior handbook, a school must notify police when a threat of physical violence could occur.

While the situation at Tohatchi didn?t actually pose a threat to students, they were still traumatized by it, Ayze said ?As a student of Tohatchi High, I saw what I saw, heard what I heard. For you (police) to say ?No shots fired, no active shooter,? I want to ask you, Were you there?? Ayze wrote. ?Were you comforting every victim? You were probably in a place not even aware of this tragic event. Well, we are going through a rough time in our lives.?

The Klingers? report said more than 3,430 threats and incidents of violence occurred in American K-12 schools in the 2018-19 school year. They reiterated that though actual active shooting incidents were not as common, threats that schools experience were still ?significantly higher than in the past.?

?It is also important to consider that an increase in the number of threats reported over time may not necessarily be entirely negative,? Klinger wrote in their report. ?A heightened awareness and adoption of a ?see something, say something? perspective by school stakeholders is a positive trend that may account for at least some of the increased number of reported threats.?

http://www.ascd.org/Publications/Books/Overview/Keeping-Students-Safe-Every-Day.aspx

Uh right. Don?t believe everything you read.
I think we all know schools are not safe. Another fake article Morekas would like to share even Trump has agreed with me.

morekaos said:
Schools are NOT more dangerous. In fact they are far safer today than in the 90's.  I have NO qualms about sending my children to school in fear of being victims of a school shooting.  You have a better chance of hitting the lottery.

Despite a rise in violence in schools throughout the country, the probability of an active shooter committing an atrocious crime at your child?s school remains very small.

However, the violence a shooter inflicts has a huge impact on the school and community, which has been demonstrated time and time again since the school shooting at Columbine High School in Columbine, Colorado, in 1999.

?False reporting?
Nationally, according to a report by Amy Klinger and Amanda Klinger, authors of ?Keeping Students Safe Every Day: How to Prepare and Respond to School Violence, Natural Disasters and Other Hazards,? incidents like the one that occurred at Tohatchi High, which they call ?false reporting? or ?mock attack,? contribute to the idea that shootings at schools happen often. The annual 2018-19 report released by the Educator?s School Safety Network, a national nonprofit organization, stated the most common threats recorded were ?unspecified? threats of violence.

Nearly 50 percent of all threats schools reported were not active shooting-related. The Klingers found that more than 25 percent were shooting threats, again not active shooter-related. A threat, the Klingers wrote, is a defined ?as an expressed intent to do harm.?

Francisco said the Tohatchi incident came in not as an active shooter call, but as a domestic situation where a student threatened to harm himself on school grounds.

According to the school district?s 2019-20 secondary-grades 6-12 student behavior handbook, a school must notify police when a threat of physical violence could occur.

While the situation at Tohatchi didn?t actually pose a threat to students, they were still traumatized by it, Ayze said ?As a student of Tohatchi High, I saw what I saw, heard what I heard. For you (police) to say ?No shots fired, no active shooter,? I want to ask you, Were you there?? Ayze wrote. ?Were you comforting every victim? You were probably in a place not even aware of this tragic event. Well, we are going through a rough time in our lives.?

The Klingers? report said more than 3,430 threats and incidents of violence occurred in American K-12 schools in the 2018-19 school year. They reiterated that though actual active shooting incidents were not as common, threats that schools experience were still ?significantly higher than in the past.?

?It is also important to consider that an increase in the number of threats reported over time may not necessarily be entirely negative,? Klinger wrote in their report. ?A heightened awareness and adoption of a ?see something, say something? perspective by school stakeholders is a positive trend that may account for at least some of the increased number of reported threats.?

http://www.ascd.org/Publications/Books/Overview/Keeping-Students-Safe-Every-Day.aspx

eyephone said:
Uh right. Don?t believe everything you read.
I think we all know schools are not safe. Another fake article Morekas would like to share even Trump has agreed with me. Maybe even let the teachers carry arms.

It must be terrifying to go through life afraid of EVERYTHING.  I chose not to live in fear.  It's really not healthy but what the left loves to sell.  Life has always been a risk, that risk has gotten smaller and smaller over the decades, not larger.  From NPR of all places.

Despite Heightened Fear Of School Shootings, It's Not A Growing Epidemic

The Parkland shooting last month has energized student activists, who are angry and frustrated over gun violence. But it's also contributed to the impression that school shootings are a growing epidemic in America.

In truth, they're not.

"Schools are safer today than they had been in previous decades," says James Alan Fox, a professor of criminology at Northeastern University who has studied the phenomenon of mass murder since the 1980s.

Fox and doctoral student Emma Fridel crunched the numbers, and the results should come as a relief to parents.

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/15/593831564/the-disconnect-between-perceived-danger-in-u-s-schools-and-reality

You all see it. Morekas doesn?t think there is a problem at schools and doesn?t like care. 1 potential reason that comes to mind his kid finish Hs. So he doesn?t like care. His kid probably did not go to Lb polly HS. (Kind of rough there)

Since he?s from LB. (which doesn?t matter, used for reference purposes)

eyephone said:
You all see it. Morekas doesn?t think there is a problem at schools and doesn?t like care. 1 potential reason that comes to mind his kid finish Hs. So he doesn?t like care. His kid probably did not go to Lb polly HS. (Kind of rough there)

...or 3) my kids are still in high school but at little risk of being victims of a mass shooter.

morekaos said:
eyephone said:

...or 3) my kids are still in high school but at little risk of being victims of a mass shooter.

Of course because they go to private school.

It?s doesn?t fit your agenda. So you will say anything to tell people that there?s no problems with schools. Even though Trump has said it himself.

https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2019/december-web-only/trump-should-be-removed-from-office.html

"To the many evangelicals who continue to support Mr. Trump in spite of his blackened moral record, we might say this: Remember who you are and whom you serve. Consider how your justification of Mr. Trump influences your witness to your Lord and Savior. Consider what an unbelieving world will say if you continue to brush off Mr. Trump?s immoral words and behavior in the cause of political expediency. If we don?t reverse course now, will anyone take anything we say about justice and righteousness with any seriousness for decades to come? Can we say with a straight face that abortion is a great evil that cannot be tolerated and, with the same straight face, say that the bent and broken character of our nation?s leader doesn?t really matter in the end?

We have reserved judgment on Mr. Trump for years now. Some have criticized us for our reserve. But when it comes to condemning the behavior of another, patient charity must come first. So we have done our best to give evangelical Trump supporters their due, to try to understand their point of view, to see the prudential nature of so many political decisions they have made regarding Mr. Trump. To use an old clich?, it?s time to call a spade a spade, to say that no matter how many hands we win in this political poker game, we are playing with a stacked deck of gross immorality and ethical incompetence. And just when we think it?s time to push all our chips to the center of the table, that?s when the whole game will come crashing down. It will crash down on the reputation of evangelical religion and on the world?s understanding of the gospel. And it will come crashing down on a nation of men and women whose welfare is also our concern."

eyephone said:
It?s doesn?t fit your agenda. So you will say anything to tell people that there?s no problems with schools. Even though Trump has said it himself.

Never said schools were perfect...just not as bad as they want you to believe. As for an agenda...I don?t have one and there are many things Trump does that I don?t agree with but he alignes with me on many issues.  Certainly far more than any dem.

Kids are doing drills to hide. How about spend money to oroctext the schools? Hire retired military for security.
God bless America!

Statistically, I am more concerned about them getting hurt driving to and from school and practices than getting hurt in a shooting.

School shootings are extraordinarily rare. Why is fear of them driving policy?

The chance of a child being shot and killed in a public school is extraordinarily low. Not zero ? no risk is. But it?s far lower than many people assume, especially in the glare of heart-wrenching news coverage after an event like Parkland. And it?s far lower than almost any other mortality risk a kid faces, including traveling to and from school, catching a potentially deadly disease while in school or suffering a life-threatening injury playing interscholastic sports.

You have a 0.0012% chance of dying in a mass shooting based on numbers from the CDC?.An average of 27 people die in mass shootings each year. Around 15,000 people die of murders each year. Around 38,000 people are killed in automobile accidents each year. A whopping 1,400 times more people die in cars than in mass shootings. 3500 teens are killed each year texting while driving.
[url]https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/school-shootings-are-extraordinarily-rare-why-is-fear-of-them-driving-policy/2018/03/08/f4ead9f2-2247-11e8-94da-ebf9d112159c_story.html
[/url]

Back