Testing at Portola High School

Don't you feel if that were to happen, it would
greatly affect the home prices and desirability in all of
Irvine, not just those isolated areas? the attached stigma to the Irvine name would be marred.

Our Gang said:
Take a look at what has happened with Camp Lejeune in North Carolina. Long term toxic dumping resulted in birth defects. Now having served at Camp Lejeune has the same potential VA disability rating as Agent Orange exposure. No different at El Toro, Tick .... tick .... tick ..... There is a capped toxic dumpsite in view of the new school.

Then how disrespectful it would be to bury our veterans in toxic soil.  The horror!

qwerty said:
Yeah you have to be a complete moron to send your kid to portola high school. What kind of parent would send their kid to a school with known contaminated land?  Horrible.

I'm going to copy and paste this and replace "Portola" with "Legacy"...when Legacy High opens in 2058...  >:D

gasman said:
qwerty said:
Yeah you have to be a complete moron to send your kid to portola high school. What kind of parent would send their kid to a school with known contaminated land?  Horrible.

I'm going to copy and paste this and replace "Portola" with "Legacy"...when Legacy High opens in 2058...  >:D

That will work out well. That way we have a test case with a superfund high school and see how the kids are doing in their 30s and 40s.

Cmon guys - u guys totally didn't get that I was kidding. Although Columbus square was not designated as a superfund site so I have that to hold over BP residents :)

qwerty said:
gasman said:
qwerty said:

That will work out well. That way we have a test case with a superfund high school and see how the kids are doing in their 30s and 40s.

Cmon guys - u guys totally didn't get that I was kidding. Although Columbus square was not designated as a superfund site so I have that to hold over BP residents :)

We are all kidding...until our kids start growing extra limbs...  >:D

qwerty said:

At the rate that TUSD is building their schools, your kids might be in their 30s and 40s before Legacy High opens...  ;D

irvinehomeowner said:
I'm thinking an extra arm might help my kids with basketball.

#MadHandles
#SmotheringDefense

I'm buying goalie gear for my kids...with extra gloves.  :eek:

More news on the soil testing from the OC Register:
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/testing-707246-school-site.html

==================================
IRVINE ? More than one year after stained soil was uncovered near where a new high school is being built, the California Department of Toxic Substances Control has ordered additional soil testing at the site.

The directive follows months of outreach by a vocal group of residents concerned about the adequacy of the testing that originally garnered state approval for the construction of Irvine Unified School District?s fifth comprehensive high school, Portola High.

?This additional sampling will assess the site for the potential presence of contaminants that could pose a threat to the health of individuals who attend classes or work at the school, or people who might otherwise use the school?s property,? agency chief Barbara Lee wrote in a March 2 letter obtained by the Register to Irvine Unified?s John Fogarty, assistant superintendent of business services.

The $300 million project, slated to open Aug. 24, is intended to serve up to 2,400 students from the neighborhoods being built around the Orange County Great Park.

Superintendent Terry Walker, in a letter sent Friday to Irvine Unified families, said the district does not expect the testing to delay the school?s August opening.

District administrators and school board members have said they consider the site safe, and point to more than 200 tests done sitewide ? testing that garnered the district approval from the Department of Toxic Substances Control to begin construction in October 2014.

The month after the district broke ground at the Portola High site, contaminated soil was uncovered nearby. The construction of a storm drain box by Heritage Fields El Toro LLC, which is funding and building Great Park infrastructure, revealed stained soil 15 feet below surface level, a thin layer of which extended onto the school site.

The soil was hauled away. Tests commissioned by Heritage Fields revealed the soil contained hydrocarbons and naphthalene, which is considered cancer-causing by the state, but experts said the levels found were considered nonhazardous.

Harvey Liss, a civil engineer and former Irvine planning commissioner, found out about the stained soil via public records requests to the state agency, school district and city of Irvine.

He has written extensively about the testing done at the site, which he says was inadequate, in the Irvine Community News & Views, a monthly political newspaper that was once a slate mailer for longtime Irvine politician Larry Agran and his allies.

In recent months, hundreds of residents have signed a petition Liss started that asked for more testing at the site, which is situated along Irvine Boulevard and west of Alton Parkway.

Lee said the agency?s interest in further testing was prompted by the potential of prior military activity at the property, which is on the former El Toro Marine base; the stained soil found in November 2014; and prior testing that uncovered contaminants for which the source remains unknown.

In August, Agran, a friend of Liss?, wrote Gov. Jerry Brown requesting more testing at the site.

?I was stunned ? in a positive way ? when I opened my mailbox on Saturday and got an old-fashioned, snail-mail letter with the contents that it had,? said Agran of the agency?s announcement. ?That?s very reassuring to those of us who just want, at this point, honest, comprehensive, independent, highly professional testing. As to what that testing reveals, we?ll see and we?ll deal with it at that time.?

Dot Lofstrom, division chief and acting deputy director at the Department of Toxic Substances Control, said she pushed for additional testing after she heard from Liss in late 2015.

At that time, she hadn?t been aware of previous communications from Liss, who had been pressing local Toxic Substances Control officials to require more testing.

?I became personally concerned that this would impact future parents and staff of the school,? said Lofstrom, who is based in Sacramento. ?The questions seemed to persist. The department thought it was best to require some additional analysis to put this question to rest once and for all.?

Lofstrom said the testing should have ?little or no impact? on the school?s construction.

Contact the writer: sdecrescenzo@ocregister.com

==================================

They should just post all test results on an internet site so people can examine it at will.

Isn't it obvious that the IUSD board should push for this test earlier?
I am just glad finally they are going to do something for the students, teachers & residents. I hope the test results will be published soon.

I drive by the school site every day and can't imagine what would happen if they decide the levels are unsafe.  They're definitely past the point of no return on the school - they would have to just launch a major cleanup effort then re-test. 

aquabliss said:
I drive by the school site every day and can't imagine what would happen if they decide the levels are unsafe.  They're definitely past the point of no return on the school - they would have to just launch a major cleanup effort then re-test. 

Maybe they could accelerate the time table on high school #6.

how is this surprising? General election is coming this Nov and primary is June; Larry Agran is itching to get back the political power he lost in the last election.

If the test do show bad results, that means goodbye GP future neighborhoods as well, (and PS3+), ouch

#GPcranewillbelonely

AW said:
If the test do show bad results, that means goodbye GP future neighborhoods as well, (and PS3+), ouch

#GPcranewillbelonely

There is foot traffic at Gp this past weekend on Sunday. Looked more than PS3. Go figure

curious george said:
dont worry, the tests will never show bad results ...too much in stake.

Not really.  Easier to walk away now than to deal with a cover-up resulting in millions of dollars in litigation later on.

Back