Tesla Model 3

shadyoc said:
Is it me or are the Tesla's getting more and more expensive?  My friend just ordered a P100D and it was $160,000 because of the enhanced autopilot and full autonomous driving feature.  I personally wouldn't trust getting in a car and having it drive me, drop me off and park itself.  That's kind of strange and scary.  But man $160k?!?!!  that's some change.

I'll take a Porsche GT3 or RS any day of the second over an overpriced electric car.

morekaos said:
Elon's benefactors in DC may be about to pull the rug out. If his subsidies go...step away!!
I was saying the same thing to my coworkers today.  All his businesses are so dependent on the government teat.  He wasn't exactly making friends with Trump last week and I'm quite certain you won't see a photo of Trump on top of Elon's launch pad.

It begins...If it collapses do you get your $1000.00 back?

It?s Time to Stop Spending Taxpayer Dollars on Elon Musk and Cronyism

From Enron to Bernie Madoff, at the end of every great American financial scandal, the totality of the perpetrators? greed seems to be matched only by the public?s incredulity at how such a thing could be allowed to happen.

And thanks to Elon Musk, there?s a good chance we may all be asking this question again soon.

The Senate Finance Committee and the House Ways and Means Committee have launched a probe into tax incentives paid to solar companies, according to The Wall Street Journal. The committee probes, led by their respective Republican chairmen, Rep. Kevin Brady of Texas and Sen. Orrin Hatch of Utah, have found an appropriate and disturbing target to begin this work.

http://dailysignal.com/2016/11/13/its-time-to-stop-spending-taxpayer-dollars-on-elon-musk-and-cronyism/

morekaos said:
It begins...If it collapses do you get your $1000.00 back?

It?s Time to Stop Spending Taxpayer Dollars on Elon Musk and Cronyism

From Enron to Bernie Madoff, at the end of every great American financial scandal, the totality of the perpetrators? greed seems to be matched only by the public?s incredulity at how such a thing could be allowed to happen.

And thanks to Elon Musk, there?s a good chance we may all be asking this question again soon.

The Senate Finance Committee and the House Ways and Means Committee have launched a probe into tax incentives paid to solar companies, according to The Wall Street Journal. The committee probes, led by their respective Republican chairmen, Rep. Kevin Brady of Texas and Sen. Orrin Hatch of Utah, have found an appropriate and disturbing target to begin this work.

http://dailysignal.com/2016/11/13/its-time-to-stop-spending-taxpayer-dollars-on-elon-musk-and-cronyism/

Yep this will be interesting

With Trump and his cabinet...they don't believe in global warming and clean energy.  Going back historically, republicans (Bush) in general have had huge ties to the fossil fuel companies so not surprising this would happen.  If it gets bad, I could definitely see them taking away all tax incentives for solar/green/hybrid/electric products and pretty much take away their pricing incentives...maybe even take away the single rider carpool.  With no tax incentives, those green cars won't be able to compete financially with regular cars.  The only people who would get them either care about the environment or just like the style aspects of tesla

OK, not even I saw this coming..

Elon Musk and Donald Trump's budding bromance is capturing Wall Street's attention

The election of Donald Trump and the accompanying rehabilitation of fossil fuels should have been, by all rights, devastating for Tesla Motors.

Tesla is the top maker of all-electric autos, and it completed its merger with SolarCity, a leading manufacturer of solar energy panels, days after the presidential election.

Elon Musk, the visionary founder of both companies, openly criticized Mr. Trump's candidacy, saying on CNBC just before the vote that he was "not the right guy" for the job.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/27/elon-musk-has-trumps-ear-and-wall-street-takes-note.html

This is not good news, no matter how they want to spin it...

Musk: Tesla may raise more capital to 'reduce risk'

Tesla Chairman and CEO Elon Musk said Tesla will likely seek more capital from investors, to hedge against risk as it completes its build-up of its anticipated Model 3 sedan.

Speaking on a conference call after Tesla announced its fourth-quarter results on Wednesday Musk said the company does not yet need to raise capital to finish its Model 3 production ramp, but that not doing so would bring the company "close to the edge," which he said was "probably not the best thing for shareholders."

"I think it makes sense to raise capital to reduce risk," Musk said on the call. He said Tesla is evaluating its options for raising more cash, but did not give any indication of when that may happen.

Analysts had suspected that Tesla would take advantage of the recent jump in its share price to raise more money. The stock hit a 52-week high of $287.39 on Feb. 13, before retreating.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/22/musk-tesla-may-raise-more-capital-to-reduce-risk.html

There will be consolidation in the solar market and Tesla will be a strong energy technology company.

spootieho said:
morekaos said:
This is not good news, no matter how they want to spin it...
Stock is up 50%+ for the year, isn't it?

It is buuuttt..doing a stock offering at the high is a money grab and worse yet dilution.  Cashing out near a top instead of using some form of leverage instead makes me nervous.

Kindda what I mean...

Tesla: Capital Raise Now, Or Bankruptcy In 4 Months

http://seekingalpha.com/article/4049370-tesla-capital-raise-now-bankruptcy-4-months

We do the numbers and conclude that, indeed, Tesla will be insolvent in four months.
Can Tesla's credit lines come to the rescue? Perhaps just a bit, but there's not much running room left.
Worse yet, Tesla is close to triggering the fatal Fixed Charge Coverage Ratio test in its revolving credit agreement. A test it cannot possibly pass.
So, what to do? Why, raise more capital. Sure, Tesla last May raised capital for the Model 3 but, what the heck, let's do it again.

Anyone know what they did with all the deposits they took?  Working capital?  If enough depositors catch wind of trouble brewing there will be a major bank run, and I'm guessing none of it is insured.

daedalus said:
Anyone know what they did with all the deposits they took?  Working capital?  If enough depositors catch wind of trouble brewing there will be a major bank run, and I'm guessing none of it is insured.

Interesting. Very hard to see worst case scenario though.

Don't think the deposits would disappear
Tesla's gotten to be too big of a brand I would assume Apple/Google would just buy it before it got to that

All the articles are fascinating.  Investors are estimating that Tesla would lose around $8000 per model 3 so it's entirely possible that model 3 could also mean the end of Tesla.  So many are estimating that the $35k price will only be short term and that Tesla needs to sell the car at a starting price around $45k to save itself. 

I don't think it would be too far of a stretch for them to sell the 3 for $45k which means everyone who put a deposit basically got a discount.

But technology is getting cheaper, I read somewhere that is the big reason why the domestics are going all in on EV/Hybrids because the prices have gone down and as electric auto production volume grows, that cost drops even more.

No, I always have a thorn in my side stock that taunts me with totally screwed up valuations till it collapses.  Starbucks was my other one before Tesla and it finally collapsed to $2 before it recovered again.  Before that it was Worldcom, Sun Microsystems and Juniper Networks.  In the end this one still might be similar.  Who the hell knows?

There are way too many Testla driving around Irvine. Its nice, although the new Audi all electric SUV got my attention.

Audi and Huyndai has been very innovative in their electric line. I will give it a test drive both of these brand.

Compressed-Village said:
There are way too many Testla driving around Irvine. Its nice, although the new Audi all electric SUV got my attention.

Audi and Huyndai has been very innovative in their electric line. I will give it a test drive both of these brand.

The new Audi looks good but how much?  These other brands are much more expensive because it's not what they do.

Back