termites inspection

abosch00

So I'm in escrow for a home purchase and the termite report comes back saying the property needs chemical treatment in the attic and around the exterior of the house along with some damaged wood removal.

I was a bit shocked by this being a first time buyer but after doing some internet research have found that with older homes (built in 70s) that termites are very common in SoCal.

My question is, should I be worried about this? The report revealed treatable areas but aren't there places the inspector can't reach that can have potential termites.  Maybe what was found was just the tip of the iceberg?

Should I tent the entire house before moving in for peace of mind sake?  Is it worth the extra $$ which I think is about 2500 bucks?

Why isn't the seller paying for the treatment and repair?

Termites are VERY common here and the house doesn't need to be as old as a house built in the 70's.

Seller will pay for the recommended repair (the spot treatment and wood repair) but if I wanted to tent it, that's gonna be out of my pocket.

I'm wondering if I should tent it to gain further peace of mind or if that's going overboard and the treatment recommended by the termite report is sufficient.

Ready2Downsize said:
Why isn't the seller paying for the treatment and repair?

Termites are VERY common here and the house doesn't need to be as old as a house built in the 70's.

abosch00 said:
after doing some internet research have found that with older homes (built in 70s) that termites are very common in SoCal.

What does that mean, termites are common with older homes or common with SoCal or common with the combination of the two?

irvinehomeowner said:
So it's $2500 for the tent service?

I would actually think about doing it... if maybe it was $1000.

i would just tent it for the peace of mind.

I'd have the seller credit you towards the cost of the spot repairs and then tent the house.  I'd get my own termite person to do the spot repairs and then have a contract with that company going forward for annual checks/maintenance.

When I bought my house, the seller paid around $4000 due to termites.  The work was fumigation, and replacement of some wooden eaves on the 2nd floor.  There was no tent.

If you get your place tented, be prepared to fix the roof afterwards. Hidden cost. Our current house was tented and they broke around 20 roof tiles. I had to pay a roofer around $400 to fix them.

frenet said:
If you get your place tented, be prepared to fix the roof afterwards. Hidden cost. Our current house was tented and they broke around 20 roof tiles. I had to pay a roofer around $400 to fix them.

+1

When we purchased our last house-  the termite company caused $1600 of roof damage during the tenting.  The seller covered the cost to fix it,  then had to sue the termite company for payment.

Thanks for everyone's feedback. We've decided to go through with the tenting which was quoted at $1500.

It's mainly for the peace of mind and that there's no better time to do it than before we move in. I'm just hoping the roof doesn't get messed up too bad!

Back