Strada @ orchard hills vs. Arcadia @ stonegate

But per "akimyai"'s post, there are "overhead electrical lines emitting EMF throughout the community," implying it's not just Village IV that has the problem. I don't remember seeing any overhead electrical lines in OH, though...I too would appreciate any further info about this.

Since we speak of disclosures, does anyone have the cliff's notes version of disclosures for Cypress Village? Thanks!

Let me read through our Strada disclosure again tonighy.  I don't recall any very specific, more of a general Irvine area info. 

Looking up maps and info, there's an old landfill west of Irvine Lake and North East of 241 and 261 intersection.  That's north of future village of the Grove.  Strada is pretty far from it.  There's a substation further up that direction as well, and even farther to Strada.

Pesticide spraying would be the main issue that I'm concerned about. 

But overall, I believe it to still be more desirable then SG.

Update:
Just skimmed through the disclosure.  Here are three excerpts.

Attachments

• IMG_0787.JPG
    IMG_0787.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 433
So this is the substation they are talking about.  Much closer to Stonegate then Strada.  Still unclear as to where the overhead wires would be in the vicinity.  Perhaps its further north into the mountain.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-17 at 10.49.04 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-02-17 at 10.49.04 PM.jpg
    567.6 KB · Views: 333
  • Screen Shot 2015-02-17 at 10.50.18 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-02-17 at 10.50.18 PM.jpg
    716.3 KB · Views: 339
@timandjess - Whats the body of water in your second picture that looks like its right in front of Arcadia? Is that a basin? Possible mosquito issues? Thanks for posting up the map, so sounds like Arcadia has a couple of negatives going - entrance of landfill, substation (not sure what health impact), and possibly the water that may breed mosquitos. Is that why Arcadia is such a good deal? I guess you get what you pay for? That low price and nice floorplan is attractive though.

It is a damn, IIRC.  If that is an issue for arcadia, it is an issue for all of stonegate (regarding Mosquito's). It is a ways away (on the other side of the sports complex being built).  And I believe the artillery range are some old shooting ranges, etc. Most of which is very very far from where Strada is.  In general, I think of all the new home tracks, OH is by far the best set-up from a pure location perspective, however, the floorplans and other issues leave some things to be written about. 

Stonegate would appear to have the best facilities and at least isn't next to the freeway.  Great Park has the best spacing, etc, but the worst facilities currently (1 pool & park vs. others). I do think Stonegate and GP have the nicest models under 1.2M. Haven't spent time looking at gated OH as it is out of my league so I can't comment on that. 

* This is just of the new tracks currently being built.

asdfg said:
Since we speak of disclosures, does anyone have the cliff's notes version of disclosures for Cypress Village? Thanks!

Here's some main items from Cypress Village so you guys can compare. 

Bowman landfill (but it is so far away)
Garbage truck traffic on Sand Canyon
Close to train track
Cell towers
Underground power line
Vehicle maintenance lot (the bus lot on Sand Canyon)
Church site on Sand Canyon
Water detention basin
A temporary fire station on Trabuco and 133
Commercial agriculture operation on east side of 133
Prior agriculture operation and soil remediation
Affordable housing
Apartments
Close to SR-133 and I-5
Expansive and corrosive soil
Construction inconvenience.

Thought below information might be useful for people concerned about pesticides in the ground (found it on google). This link / map
show the different levels in Irvine -- looks like all communities have exposure, but varying from 100lbs
to 751,000 lbs. According to the map, looks like Cypress Village has the most (in Red)

Do you live in one of California's pesticide hotspots?

http://apps.cironline.org/pesticides/?zoom=6&latitude=37&longitude=-119.5&layer=fumigants&action=area

Attachments

• Irvine_Chemical_Pesticide_Levels_Map.JPG
    Irvine_Chemical_Pesticide_Levels_Map.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 328
With similar pricing -

Property Size:
PS (Quinterra) > SG (Arcadia) > OH (Strada)

So its pretty simple in my opinion, is house size more important or location more important to you?  And this is looking at it from a "comfort of living" point of view.

If you want to look at it from an investment point of view, SG may possibly have a higher ceiling due to its proximity to the Great Park.  So 10 years from now, your SG 3100 sqft home near the Great Park might be worth much more than the OH 2600 sqft home that is farther from the Great Park.  But even a crystal ball can't tell you for sure on that.

Hi ID9510,

I wanted to share my own experience with an infant (3 months when we moved in and 17 months now) living in SG for the past 14 months.  So far, I am really enjoying my residency at SG.  You might find it little barren at first, but you will appreciate the openness as you live here.  I feel little claustrophobic when I stroll down to Woodbury now.  Arcadia has a slightly higher elevation compared to other houses in SG and WB so you feel more open looking down from there.

Also, especially with an infant, I need to be out almost everyday because I can't handle this energizer bunny inside our home.  I have given the luxury to choose from seven small parks in SG to take my toddler out to play and wear him down.  Also, there is Jeffrey Open Space Trail (JOST) with Oval park one minute walk from Arcadia.  It's a nice add on to take a stroller and walk over there.  In couple of years, you will also have the privilege to use many amenities at 25 acre Gateway park in Portolo and Jeffrey with a bridge connection to JOST. 

Given the choice now, I would have probably chosen Arcadia instead of Mendocino.  But, Arcadia was not available at that time.  Right now, if I had to choose, I will pick Arcadia over Strada for the close proximity to many amenities, parks, Montessori, and elementary school all within minutes commute.  But, try to avoid house near Portfolio, but more inner towards Encore.  This is just recommendation based on living comfort/experience with an infant rather then for investment/resale purpose or parents with older children.  Also, OH is little more hilly and less parks and amenities.  It's going to be little harder to push those strollers around the neighborhood later=).

btw, I never smell the landfill.  One thing I want to warn you is that SG is 80%+ Chinese so you might not like that.  I don't mine it, but just for your disclosure purposes=).

Good luck! and let us know later when you decide.

Id9510 said:
Hi all, we are a young family with an infant, relocating to Irvine this spring/summer.

?We have looked at homes at the orchard hill and stonegate communities, and we are interested in strada (plan 3 with conservatory room ~2,832sqft) at OH (non-gated side) and Arcadia (plan 2 or plan 3 ~3200sqft) at stonegate. ??

We quite like Arcadia model 2, but we keep hearing that OH is going to be a very nice community, and the fact that Arcadia is closer to the reservoir and landfill also concerns us a little bit with respect to health issues and resale values.

?What are your thoughts on the non-gated side of orchard hills vs. stonegate considering issues such as location, communities, schools, and resale values in 5-10yrs? Are there any other communities we should be looking at or waiting for in similar price range? (1.2-1.4m)?

Thank you for your time,

Goriot said:
Hi ID9510,
One thing I want to warn you is that SG is 80%+ Chinese so you might not like that.  I don't mine it, but just for your disclosure purposes=).

On a LIGHTER note, you are assuming ID9510 is not in the 80% :p

sky949 said:
Goriot said:
Hi ID9510,
One thing I want to warn you is that SG is 80%+ Chinese so you might not like that.  I don't mine it, but just for your disclosure purposes=).

On a LIGHTER note, you are assuming ID9510 is not in the 80% :p

Amazes me how many Asians there are in Irvine.  All these new constructions going up, where are all the buyers coming from?!

Asians are looking for the same location attributes that Irvine prides it self on -- Good Schools, Safe neighborhoods, Planned city and Good Weather (So Cal), -- so its obvious that they will prefer it -- along with any other place that fits that bill -- Till recently the market was full of FCB's, but I think there are less of FCB's now. Recently saw that the OH sales office were giving out Chinese new year envelopes -- tells you who the primary market still is :)

Stonegate is nice but doesn't feel "special".  OH would benefit from more parks (although I believe they're going to have a bigger park near the high school) and bigger back yards at Strada but, ultimately, the topography in OH is completely different to any other new development in Irvine - that's why it's at a premium, and that's why it'll keep its value. 

Stopped by to check on construction today.  Sales office claimed they are having a crazy weekend.  Phase 11 is all sold out and many previously unsold lots have a sold button on it now.

Looks like either FCB are able to bring their money over again, or there was a lot of pent up demands for these later phases.

There's no price sheet for phase 11 available since they have all been sold, but supposedly base price for a plan 2 is now at $1.1.

Jonah said:
Stonegate is nice but doesn't feel "special".  OH would benefit from more parks (although I believe they're going to have a bigger park near the high school) and bigger back yards at Strada but, ultimately, the topography in OH is completely different to any other new development in Irvine - that's why it's at a premium, and that's why it'll keep its value.

Been living at OH Groves for about 2 months and I have to say the topography is just beautiful, esp on a gloomy rainy day when a slight fog settles over the prchard groves it's like nothing else I've seen in Irvine. 

I agree, OH has a tranquility about it.  I drove through SG on the weekend - and drove and drove and drove because it's so huge - and even though you expect a level of "sameness" with tract housing, you really can't tell one neighborhood from the next.  It's a maze with no easy exit routes.  Regarding Arcadia vs Strada itself, the entrance to Arcadia is nondescript, there's a wall at the head of street as you enter with lots on the other side for housing.  You enter Strada and there's the pool with lush landscaping.  People knock the size of the backyards of the models at Strada ("backyard" is a stretch for the models!), but there are larger lots available. 

Strada should have pick the lot with bigger back yard for their model homes. 

Builders usually try to pick the best lot for their model home and give the potential buyer a best first impression possible. 

Completely agree with Inc on the model home backyards --- but one good about the current model home backyards is from a buyer perspective it gives a more realistic representation of the overall lots because there are quite a few lots with Similar size as the models -- I think the smallest backyard is approx 10 feet (behind the dining side) and 16.5 feet (on the trellis side) = 7.5 feet if you take the conservatory. -- also the big trees that they have in the model make the already small backyard look even smaller!!!

We're in the same situation as OP. We've toured most new builds, some resale, and are torn over buying now (OH, SG, or last remaining homes in PP or CV) or waiting for BP or Eastwood (our schedule is flexible). Also worth considering is Lafayette at SG, grand opening on March 7.

I could never contemplate CV or SG, too uniform for my liking - there's nothing to distinguish those villages from anywhere else.  PP is a little more unique but not good to be buying in the last phases.  Will be interested to check out BP when it becomes available.

Back