Squeaky Floor?

maiz99

We just moved in our new TIC SFR for 3 months and got lots of things fixed by the builder.  One of the most painful thing is the squeaky floor: We got 2 spots fixed - one is in the master bedroom and the other at the adjacent hallway. They had to removed the king size bed and furnitures and had the carpet guy to restretch the carpet. They found out that one subflooring's nails are all missing in the master! Anyway they fixed all that and restored everything.

Now after 2 months we found the other side of that subflooring, which they didn't roll the carpet fully and check, start to squeak, along with more squeak spots all over the 2nd floor carpet area. But we kinda hesitate to call them to fix again because one of the guys from last time said floor is subject to squeak and they just did a extra courtesy work for us. What do you think? Anyone got the same squeaky floor issues in new construction homes?

Welcome to tract home construction! Hopefully they used subfloor adhesive and ring shank nails because the problem is the wood shrinks and the plywood rubs or squeaks on the shank of the nail.
You can eliminate the problem by using wood screws screwed into floor joist it will suck down plywood.
The bummer is the carpet not sure if the is a way you can run screw through carpet and padding.
Hope this helps

maiz99 said:
I was wondering if this is included in new home warranty or not? Our closing date was June 2015.

It should be.  Otherwise they wouldn't fixed it first time around.

maiz99 said:
But we kinda hesitate to call them to fix again because one of the guys from last time said floor is subject to squeak and they just did a extra courtesy work for us. What do you think? Anyone got the same squeaky floor issues in new construction homes?

Well,  squeak happens and that's why these guys have their jobs, jobs to fix defects and that includes squeaky floors.

Fortunately I don't have squeaky floor on my new home this time around but I did have quite a few on my previous home.

Get it fixed. Don't take no for an answer. Unfortunately, things like this are to be expected with a tract home. The people they hire only know how to hammer nails, but not much else. That's what the new home warranty is for. Good luck.

Theres a product called "SQUEEEEEK NO MORE" that lets you drive screws through the carpet and then you break off the piece sticking over the carpet. I did this in my master and got rid of a few creaks. The most difficult part is trying to find the floor joists through the carpet. 

Back