Smashburger

OCgasman

Located at Malls of Mission Viejo.  In-n-Out is my standard bearer both for taste and cost.  But very few burgers are like In-n-Out.  Smashburger is similar to 5 Guys, Habit and Fatburger.  I had an original Smash, no fries, so no commentary on the fries.  This is a tasty burger.  Really fresh meat and great bun.  I like it better than 5 Guys, Habit and Fatburger.  Tons of topping choices.  But like Fatburger and 5 Guys, on the pricey side.  Burger, fries and drink will run you $10.  It's good, but would be even better with a coupon, which I've never seen.  Maybe they send you some thru email if you sign up on their website.

Been wanting to try Smashburger but whenever I'm at MV Mall... I always end up eating that Japanese Sarku teri chicken, veggies and rice combo... can't resist it.

slaters_zpsa482dd60.jpg

best pic of a burger ever

Slater's is different cuz of the bacon and the environment.  If I wanna beer, Slaters of course, but strictly burger, Smash for me. 

On a side note, I think Umami Burger is way over-rated and overpriced.  I don't get the appeal.  Must cater to the L.A. hipster, too cool for school, business lunch crowd.

iacrenter said:
How about Smash vs The Counter?
When it comes to burgers, I always take price into consideration.  The counter makes a fine burger, but it's not $10 good.  Is a Counter burger better than 3 double doubles... hell no.  Smash vs Counter death match, I'll take Smash every time.  But if I wanna go have a nice draft and get some fifty-fifty fries and onion strips, I'll go to the Counter.  A better comparison with the Counter is Slater's.  Between those two, hmmm...it's a draw.

tried smash burger over the weekend, very good burger, the regular fries are very very average, the sweet potato fries are better, but not by much. would recommend, but would not drive down there again just for the burger, also, its at the food court vs having its own sit down location.

irvinehomeowner said:
Tried to go to 50/50 yesterday... turns out they were only open for special invitations.

Today is their public opening.

that was our other choice. good thing we went to smashburger then.

I like Smashburger and their smash fries are pretty good too.

I've only been to the one in Aliso though.  I don't think that photo of the burger looks too good.  I typically like a more balanced meat to bun ratio rather than a lot of meat with less bun.  I still want to try Slaters though because of the 50% bacon, haha.

Tyler Durden said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
How big are the Smash burgers?  Would I throw up or have a heart attack if I ate two in one sitting?  haha

USCTCPA, I'm sure you know the only burger worth driving for is at Father's Office!
But I occasionally show homes in Ladera Ranch and Laguna Niguel so it would be on my way back home.  :D

Tyler Durden said:
OCgasman said:
Slater's is different cuz of the bacon and the environment.  If I wanna beer, Slaters of course, but strictly burger, Smash for me. 

On a side note, I think Umami Burger is way over-rated and overpriced.  I don't get the appeal.  Must cater to the L.A. hipster, too cool for school, business lunch crowd.

Did you get the cheesy tots when you were at Umami burger?
http://www.latimes.com/features/foo...,0,3527824.photogallery?index=la-secret-umami

No, didn't know they has a secret menu.  But, those tots look tasty! :D

Tyler Durden said:
OCgasman said:

Did you get the cheesy tots when you were at Umami burger?
http://www.latimes.com/features/foo...,0,3527824.photogallery?index=la-secret-umami

i had the cheesy tots at their location in hollywood.  they were on the menu though.

Back