Shower Systems Question

lovinLife

We are in the middle of a major master bathroom remodel and are facing some design related decisions to meet code. 

We currently have a shower with one diverter (just turn handle to turn on and cycle from cold to hot) and one shower output.  We are looking to put in a handheld shower in addition and replacing the original valve with a 2 way diverter and hot/cold control.  However, our contractor says we have to meet max 2 gpm or less when all heads are on according to code. 

So far, I have found that most shower heads alone are 2-2.5 GPM.  So I can pick a diverter that allows for one but not both shower heads to meet code... however, I would like the option to turn both on at the same time.

Anyone come across this lately and how did you give your shower a spa like look and still meet code?  Any ideas appreciated! 

Well, I have a slightly different approach to this dilemma you may want to consider. The key here is the inspector. When I've wanted to do something that is not to code, I just have the contractor do it the way I want, with a back-up plan in place. Then, I have the inspector over. I show them what we have done and I state my case to the inspector. At least in my case, I found the inspector to be a flexible guy, willing to consider the situation. In my case, I got my work to PASS despite not meeting code. Of course, every situation will be different. However, you could always try that first. The worst that could happen is he says, "No." Then you just go with Plan B. I would at least give it a chance, though.

Edited to add: This was in the case of a kitchen remodel / plumbing.

Honestly, I had no idea inspectors came to look at bathroom remodels.  Is that really needed? I think of inspectors needed when you actually change the house dimensions, etc. 

Thanks for the replies.  I am finding that I'd rather just put what meets code and change around the basic stuff later myself (like shower heads, etc.).  It's annoying, but I don't like to compromise when it doesn't make logical sense to me :)

We pulled permits for the bathroom remodel as we're moving around some walls etc. so a few inspections were part of the deal...

In general, most counties will tell you that inspectors are needed for any structural or rough plumbing or electrical changes.  A new shower, where new supply and/or drain lines are installed definitely falls in this category.  Barriers and sealing and drain slopes in a bathroom are also things inspectors will take a look at.

How does the inspector know what the output is?  Do they require you to show them the packaging, or do they physically measure the GPM output?  If you can persuade them to go by the latter, then I would just install a restrictor in the shower heads, which may be removed after you get the stamp.

I did the same thing to my showers recently.  I think all the current shower heads and handheld showers will have the flow restrictor installed.  As for the diverter, it should have a removable plastic insert that prevents both outlets from turning on at the same time.  So, just install everything with the default settings and you should be fine with the inspectors.  Then take out all the stops and enjoy the high water pressure! :)
Good luck!

Am really happy with this delta showerhead, read about it on the wirecutter, you can buy it new from the home depot in Irvine for 99.99, surprising that it beats amazons price below.  Really simple to install, just need a wrench.

http://www.amazon.com/58480-PK-H2Okinetic-5-Setting-Handshower-Showerhead/dp/B00TA85LM0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00&tag=ra14x-20

Best showerheadshttp://thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-shower-head/

This may seem steep for a showerhead but it's well worth it.  Question for anyone kind enough to give me advice, I removed the water restrictor to get better flow, anyone have any idea, generally how much will this increase my water bill?  I don't really take long showers and recognize this is still wasteful but don't like weak water flow that occurs with the mandatory restrictors. Thanks.

I tend to take longer showers, and without the flow restrictors on my shower heads I'm still in the conservation base rate.  So my guess is a few (<$10) extra bucks a month.  With a higher flow rate you'll probably spend less time in the shower, since it will take less time to rinse out the suds and feel clean.

Back