Should I get this builder upgrade?

Fxguy

I'm buying a new home in Irvine and the builder is charging roughly $4,400 for plantation shutters in the living room and softwood 2 inch string shutters every where else. It's a total of 15 Windows.

Should I do it? If I just do the string shutters/blinds then it's $2,000. Would you do this instead? I just need something when I move in. Are these reasonable prices? The one disadvantage of upgrading with the builder is that the cost is built into my mortgage and I'll be paying taxes on this for a long time. Any other issues?

Thanks in advance.

Cmon, it's not a new home unless you have cheap paper accordion window coverings up for 3 months.  Once the glue loses its potency and starts to unstick, then it's time to go down to HD/Lowes and pick out your new window coverings.  You can measure yourself and self install.  It wasn't that bad as I recall. 

Save that money for vacation or other upgrades.

Once the builder put in the window and has put up the drywall we had the people installing our shutters come out to measure the Windows. this way there enough time to order and had it ready to install by the time u move in. 

if ur just doing faux wood blinds or shades u can definitely get them from LOWES or Home Depot and do it urself. all part of the fun of being a homeowner :)

Back