Shared driveway rules

thedude111222

Is there anyone in a newer IP community SFR on a shared driveway?  I was wondering if there is any specific rules on parking on the length of the drive.

When we bought, we were assured that the neighbors closest to the street would not be able to park on the shared portion. Others on shared driveways in our community were under the same impression as well, though my neighbor seems to think the opposite. There is a language barrier (of course) and since I don't think I'll be learning mandarin anytime soon, I would like to simply present in writing the policies on this.

It's normally not a big deal, It's not that hard to reverse around his cars, but would like the driveway clear in case of emergencies. Perhaps I'll just start leaving passive aggressive post-it notes.

Question is am I in my rights to do that. I'm not paying for that ish if I'm not. Was hoping someone else had read through all the documents already.

It will take forever to get the HOA to respond and by that time the car will no longer be there when HOA comes out to cite your neighbor. You can't call IPD either because the car is not on public street. Fire Department will not bother with it because the narrow 22' motorcourt asphalt dimension was never processed as Firetruck access that required 26'. Your backup space of 28' to the face of your neighbor's garage door is necessary for you to back out but that is being compromised by your asshole neighbor parking longitudinally to his garage door. This is really a HOA matter and I suggest taking pictures and file a case against your neighbor. HOA will issue a warning and cite the CC&R verbiage. There is no quick result but at least your neighbor will be warned and constitute legality to immediate towing for future infractions. 

Dude - had the same issues when we moved into our place.  We are renting at Coronado in WE and one neighbor on the shared driveway kept on parking his car in front of his house/garage.  When I backed my car out of the garage, I had some difficulty.  It wasn't anything major, but instead of a 3 point turn, it was like a 5 point turn.  The point was that they were being rude (in my eyes) doing that.  I made it a point to knock on his door every time I had to back out the garage to make it look like I couldn't get out.  Even after 3-4 times, he didn't get it (or didn't want to get it).  We pulled the CC&Rs and found this

Members are prohibited from parking on or otherwise obstructing the streets, common drives and other areas within the Master Community designated by the Master Association as "no parking" areas. Vehicles parked in violation of this Section 13.3(h) shall be subject to towing at the sole cost of the owner of such vehicle.

We brought it to the HOA (with pictures showing multiple incidents) and they sent him a letter threatening that they can tow his car.  The letter was send out pretty quick (I think less than a week). That was 3 years ago and never an incident again.  Of course, I always give him the stink eye whenever I see him.  Some people are just so inconsiderate.

I'm not sure about your association or management company, but they did say that they had to send a warning letter first before they could tow.  They also told me that the HOA is the only one that has the "authority" to tow.  I never had to test it.  Anyways, I would just review your CC&Rs and put a quick call into the HOA management company.  You'd be surprised how quick you can get some results.

Agree with Marty on filling a complain with HOA first.

If blocking the share driveway becomes a common complain, HOA might even ask tolling company to come out and patrol the the neighborhood.  Tolling company will be happy to do that since it will be an extra revenue for them.

thedude111222 said:
Question is am I in my rights to do that. I'm not paying for that ish if I'm not. Was hoping someone else had read through all the documents already.

Yes you are.  The HOA rules should say no one is allowed to park in shared driveway.  The HOA should also have a towing company ready to tow.

You can do what Marty recommended by first taking pictures and sending to the HOA.  Also ask the HOA for the phone number of the towing company so you can call them yourself.  You don't pay for it, the guy who got his car towed pays for it.

Thanks everyone...I've talked to the neighbors a while ago and tried to be nice about it, but they keep doing it so I'll step it up a notch for sure.  Will be taking pictures and contacting the HOA .  In the meantime, I will get creative with post-it notes

Attachments

• postitnoted.JPG
    postitnoted.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 398
Why don't you just call a tow truck and have them towed. Just say you couldn't get out of your garage. I don't understand why the HOA is the inlet one that can tow, that doesn't make sense. We have alley loaded garages, if my immediate neighbors were pricks, which they aren't, and were blocking my access to get out I would call the tow company. It doesn't make sense that you have to call the hoa and then what, wait a day till they call the tow truck?  I bet you your neighbor would stop parking in the shared space if a tow truck showed up.

Go chalk his tires while you're waiting on the other steps so he sees that "someone" is keeping track. Either the vertical marks like "you're not supposed to be here" or some double strikes in the back like "the clock is ticking".

qwerty said:
For $100 I can come out and talk to your neighbors

You see, Thedude? You won't have to worry about speaking Mandarin. They are the ones who will have to worry... about understanding Spanish. ?Ay chingada!

thedude111222 said:

So you bought in an HOA on a shared driveway and DIDN'T read the documents to know for sure if your neighbor can park there or not?

Your neighbor probably did the same thing you did and logically is assuming he can park on his driveway

So do both of yourselves a favor. Find your documents.  Read them.  Highlight the relevant portion and put a copy in his windshield

The documents should have a clause but that does not mean they DO have a clause

I was shown the documents when I bought, which is why I'm fairly certain I was right...just didn't want to have to go searching through again to find a relevant paragraph.  Was hoping someone else more well versed in the CC&Rs would point me to the right page...or there was someone else who diplomatically resolved their issues with people who live in a America and refuse to learn English. 

Is there any way for him to park there and not be inconvenient?  That's the best solution. As another pointed out. Emergency vehicles won't use it as it's not sized for them anyway so the issue is 90% aesthetic and 10% safety/hassle

And I'm with you. I slalom a few cars hanging over the alley. Plenty if room to get by but I still need to slow down on go around but at least I'm not doing the due point turn

It's an HOA. The sooner he knows you're not going lying down the better.  Find the doc, highlight it. Go knock on the door point at the paper, point at the car point at his garage then the street    Go get in your car and leave

Next instance just engage HOA and request tow saying you can't effectively get out of your driveway

Maybe drive idiotically and fake get your car stuck between his car and the building or something

But in general I haven't found many diplomatic solutions when one party is already knowingly inconveniencing the other

thedude111222 said:
I was shown the documents when I bought, which is why I'm fairly certain I was right...just didn't want to have to go searching through again to find a relevant paragraph.  Was hoping someone else more well versed in the CC&Rs would point me to the right page...or there was someone else who diplomatically resolved their issues with people who live in a America and refuse to learn English.

What development are you in?  Most CC&R's are posted online.  PM if you like and I'll find them and review.  Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to do

thedude111222 said:
Is there anyone in a newer IP community SFR on a shared driveway?  I was wondering if there is any specific rules on parking on the length of the drive.

When we bought, we were assured that the neighbors closest to the street would not be able to park on the shared portion. Others on shared driveways in our community were under the same impression as well, though my neighbor seems to think the opposite. There is a language barrier (of course) and since I don't think I'll be learning mandarin anytime soon, I would like to simply present in writing the policies on this.

It's normally not a big deal, It's not that hard to reverse around his cars, but would like the driveway clear in case of emergencies. Perhaps I'll just start leaving passive aggressive post-it notes.

Is this your neighbor?

10ngrix.jpg

test said:
thedude111222 said:

Is this your neighbor?

Hey, stop taking picture of zerolot's home.  :)

Back