Seeking Irvine Home Advice!

gasman said:
test said:
gasman aren't you looking to move?  You can sell MsHouseHunter your place.

If all goes according to plan, my house will be on the market early next year. :)

That said, I'll be listing at a couple hundred over what MsHouseHunter is wanting to pay...  :'(

I like it how out of the blue, test offered your house for sale.

Just give her the TI discount. (Not)

We are nice, but not that nice. Lol

This post I am making probably deserves a thread to itself - sorry in advance.  I just want to provide an honest account of why I believe considering Irvine over Tustin is important.  What I am reading so far on this thread is filled with misinformation about location, schools, etc.

This is not to start an argument, but the District and the surrounding housing that is on the former Tustin Marine Corp. Air Station is probably the worst area you can buy.  First off, there are significant disclosures regarding pollution.  They go so far as to tell you not to eat from plants in your own yard.  This disclosure will carry over to any future buyers if you resell.  Speaking of which, even if you do not have children or are not planning to have children and schools are not an issue - as a perspective home buyer (and future reseller), you should never buy in an area that is rated for poor schools - red flag.  This will continue to affect resale on your home in the future.  It will always be an issue - homes in nearby areas that are zoned for better schools will almost always appreciate more, this is especially true in this area with Irvine.  Lastly, I am not a fan of Tustin's handling of their "master planned" community.  They do not compare to Irvine's planning at all.  When Lennar could not sell condominiums there, they converted them to high density apartments.  The overall land use/reuse and changed zoning in the District areas has fallen short since the inception.  Just drive through the neighborhoods of Columbus Grove and the District area and compare them to other newer and new communities in Irvine - you will immediately notice the difference. 

This will probably upset a number of people - especially those not in favor of Irvine or those living in Tustin Legacy/The District area.  I am not attacking them.  I recommend that you consider buying in Irvine over Tustin, given the choice.  Even if your money does not go as far in Irvine, you should consider buying something smaller in Irvine that still fits within your budget instead of choosing Tustin instead.  As time marches forward, your property value will perform better in Irvine, hands down.  I have owned 4 homes in Irvine in 1999 and in every market, I have always done well and come out on top when it came time to sell.

These topics have been covered in many other threads.  I have been a long time reader on this forum but I often find what people say to be inaccurate and highly biased - even what I say is biased towards Irvine obviously.  I am often disappointed by how much complaining there is about Irvine on this forum - even from those supposedly living and doing well here.  Are they just being facetious?  I am am not sure.  But I have invested my real estate dollars here since I was 23 and it has never let me down.  Safest city, great quality of life, convenient to live, work and shop, beautiful community, great schools and place to raise a family - all of this adds up and creates the demand.  Unfortunately, it makes it more challenging for first time buyers - but start where you can and are comfortable and you probably will not be sorry. 

In short again - I recommend avoiding Tustin/The District and focusing on Irvine.

kamichael said:
In short again - I recommend avoiding Tustin/The District and focusing on Irvine.

flamingtext_com_MTIwNTE4OTk3NzE.jpg

kamichael said:
This post I am making probably deserves a thread to itself - sorry in advance.  I just want to provide an honest account of why I believe considering Irvine over Tustin is important.  What I am reading so far on this thread is filled with misinformation about location, schools, etc.

This is not to start an argument, but the District and the surrounding housing that is on the former Tustin Marine Corp. Air Station is probably the worst area you can buy.  First off, there are significant disclosures regarding pollution.  They go so far as to tell you not to eat from plants in your own yard.  This disclosure will carry over to any future buyers if you resell.  Speaking of which, even if you do not have children or are not planning to have children and schools are not an issue - as a perspective home buyer (and future reseller), you should never buy in an area that is rated for poor schools - red flag.  This will continue to affect resale on your home in the future.  It will always be an issue - homes in nearby areas that are zoned for better schools will almost always appreciate more, this is especially true in this area with Irvine.  Lastly, I am not a fan of Tustin's handling of their "master planned" community.  They do not compare to Irvine's planning at all.  When Lennar could not sell condominiums there, they converted them to high density apartments.  The overall land use/reuse and changed zoning in the District areas has fallen short since the inception.  Just drive through the neighborhoods of Columbus Grove and the District area and compare them to other newer and new communities in Irvine - you will immediately notice the difference. 

This will probably upset a number of people - especially those not in favor of Irvine or those living in Tustin Legacy/The District area.  I am not attacking them.  I recommend that you consider buying in Irvine over Tustin, given the choice.  Even if your money does not go as far in Irvine, you should consider buying something smaller in Irvine that still fits within your budget instead of choosing Tustin instead.  As time marches forward, your property value will perform better in Irvine, hands down.  I have owned 4 homes in Irvine in 1999 and in every market, I have always done well and come out on top when it came time to sell.

These topics have been covered in many other threads.  I have been a long time reader on this forum but I often find what people say to be inaccurate and highly biased - even what I say is biased towards Irvine obviously.  I am often disappointed by how much complaining there is about Irvine on this forum - even from those supposedly living and doing well here.  Are they just being facetious?  I am am not sure.  But I have invested my real estate dollars here since I was 23 and it has never let me down.  Safest city, great quality of life, convenient to live, work and shop, beautiful community, great schools and place to raise a family - all of this adds up and creates the demand.  Unfortunately, it makes it more challenging for first time buyers - but start where you can and are comfortable and you probably will not be sorry. 

Do you work for Donald Bren?

eyephone said:
Of course Irvine is a better place. But she has a budget to work with.

Yes, I mentioned this issue.  She might have to consider buying a smaller or attached property in Irvine.  I am also not saying that Tustin is a ghetto.  There are good and bad areas everywhere, even in Irvine.  I am just stating that your investment is safer in Irvine and I for one believe Irvine is a terrific place to live. 

...and no, I am not Donald Bren, haha.  I am just a person who has repeatedly chosen to invest my money in Irvine and have my primary residence located there.

USCTrojanCPA said:
MsHouseHunter, welcome to the forum.  I would recommend that you focus your search on 3-bedroom units as they will provide you the best resale and/or easier to rent if you want to turn into a rental property.  This particular floor plan in West Irvine might work for you guys (it has a small yard too):
http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/43-Ardmore-92602/home/5844605

Wow the listing agent or property owner did a fantastic job staging that listing! (And the photographer was awesome too)

thatOSguy said:
paperboyNC said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
MsHouseHunter, welcome to the forum.  I would recommend that you focus your search on 3-bedroom units as they will provide you the best resale and/or easier to rent if you want to turn into a rental property.  This particular floor plan in West Irvine might work for you guys (it has a small yard too):
http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/43-Ardmore-92602/home/5844605

Wow the listing agent or property owner did a fantastic job staging that listing! (And the photographer was awesome too)

$375/foot... attached... in West Irvine. Wow.
It's closer to $400/foot in other villages like Stonegate, Northwood Pointe, and Woodbury for attached condos.  At least in this attached condo you get a small yard.

thatOSguy said:
kamichael said:

I can't comment on District/Columbus Grove|Square, but we've owned in Tustin Ranch and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it -- but for a buyer that meets a profile (wants bigger house, gated is important, don't care about HOA amenities, etc).

The OP needs to provide more color on what she is looking for in a neighborhood.

So far we know Walkability and a view don't matter, CV is too close to the 5 and PS stinks. That leaves a lot of ground to cover. Does she want a younger vibe? Does she have preferences on the surrounding demographics? More/less Asian? Proximity to her job (apparently) near the District? Is there another area you've driven through that you REALLY like? Attached/detached important to you? Proximity to trails matter for walking/jogging/biking/hiking? Do you care about schools or not? Do you want a gate? Do you want a community pool? Spa?

As an example, Westpark has community pools, but few/no spas. For some, their nightly ritual involves hitting the spa. For others that jog, being close to a trail is meaningful - so we'd recommend communities that have that access.

Give us more so we can give you more.  8)

I know I've been rather vague but I suppose it's because we're feeling out what we want. One place we definitely liked was acacia model 4 in cypress village. It was the right size but we just were worried about its proximity to the I5. The pollution and resell value concerned us. Otherwise it would of been ideal. Jade Court was also good but we just felt like it was too pricy given the size but we might take a look again.

We've looked at Central Park west too and again location is obviously nice and close to my work but we don't want to have someone below or above us.

MsHouseHunter said:
thatOSguy said:
kamichael said:

I can't comment on District/Columbus Grove|Square, but we've owned in Tustin Ranch and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it -- but for a buyer that meets a profile (wants bigger house, gated is important, don't care about HOA amenities, etc).

The OP needs to provide more color on what she is looking for in a neighborhood.

So far we know Walkability and a view don't matter, CV is too close to the 5 and PS stinks. That leaves a lot of ground to cover. Does she want a younger vibe? Does she have preferences on the surrounding demographics? More/less Asian? Proximity to her job (apparently) near the District? Is there another area you've driven through that you REALLY like? Attached/detached important to you? Proximity to trails matter for walking/jogging/biking/hiking? Do you care about schools or not? Do you want a gate? Do you want a community pool? Spa?

As an example, Westpark has community pools, but few/no spas. For some, their nightly ritual involves hitting the spa. For others that jog, being close to a trail is meaningful - so we'd recommend communities that have that access.

Give us more so we can give you more.  8)

I know I've been rather vague but I suppose it's because we're feeling out what we want. One place we definitely liked was acacia model 4 in cypress village. It was the right size but we just were worried about its proximity to the I5. The pollution and resell value concerned us. Otherwise it would of been ideal. Jade Court was also good but we just felt like it was too pricy given the size but we might take a look again.

We've looked at Central Park west too and again location is obviously nice and close to my work but we don't want to have someone below or above us.

High standards for a 600k budget.

MsHouseHunter said:

If you really like Acacia but worried about too close to I5, just wait for the Acacia extension.  They will build more Acacia on the 2nd site (the extension site) which is slightly farther away from the I5.

x0ybz9.jpg

Edit:  The image is courtesy of test. :)

lnc said:
MsHouseHunter said:

If you really like Acacia but worried about too close to I5, just wait for the Acacia extension.  They will build more Acacia on the 2nd site (the extension site) which is slightly farther away from the I5.

x0ybz9.jpg

By then prices will be double.

lnc said:
MsHouseHunter said:

x0ybz9.jpg

Thanks for the info! Considering the later Acacia phases in the non-extension are well into 2015 move in though, the extension is probably a little too far off.

Back