School Parent Portal

ri

any thoughts on the school parent portal and the logic they are using to calculate the grades?

I am o.k. with the O, S, N and A to F grading but the OT, AC, NA isn't very helpful as the best you can get is OT (On track to meet year end standards).  And what really does OT mean for my kid?  I have twins and so I can tell they are progressing differently in the same grade but they both get OTs.

The other confusing thing is that for my other kid that is in a lower grade, the grading system is O, S, N and M, P, L, NA.  M (Meets year end grade level standards), P (Progressing towards meeting year end grade level standards) to me makes a little more sense, but not that much.

I would rather it just be O, S, N and A to F grading.

I heard from teachers that many parents get alarmed that their kid is only getting OT as they misinterpret that as something is incomplete.  Or P's.  How could my Johnny only be progressing toward third grade standards?  He's already reading at a 8th grade level and knows Calculus.  :p

ri said:
any thoughts on the school parent portal and the logic they are using to calculate the grades?

Please do not confuse this old guy any further.  I'm still trying to figure out what those math changes mean.  I'm guessing we're not supposed to like it?  :p

irvinehomeowner said:
irvinehusky said:
He's already reading at a 8th grade level and knows Integrated Math III:p
Fixed. :)

, so I guess it's my time to elaborate a little bit more. as a new to Irvine and to the system, I was surprised to find out just recently that even within each category/breakdown in a subject (i.e tests, projects, homework, etc') , they do ranking/ weight.

For example:

If you had 5 tests during a trimester and got various scores , instead of doing an average of the 5 and then multiple it's portion by the relevant category weight, they will ignore this and rather use simply the actual points/ max points which pose a weight inside of each one of the categories.

I'm not sure who came up with this and why they need to complicate it so much.

Back