Save the Memorial Park! Vote No on Measure B ballot June 5th

Regardless of what BTB says, BTB is the most entertaining person on the board right now. Isn't that what we're all here for? Are you not entertained?

3omc54.jpg

bones said:
Maybe I?m wrong but not going to the beach 3-4x a week. But pool, yes.

First world problem but I agree going to the beach can be a PITA. Walking to your local pool is much cleaner and takes less planning and equipment.

I agree with other TI members in suggesting Corona Del Mar for an easy beach day. It is not prettiest or most secluded beach but is very accessible. Pay the entry fee and park close to the sand. Invest in a collapsable folding wagon (only $49 at Costco,https://www.costco.com/Mac-Sports-Folding-Utility-Wagon-Green.product.100371844.html)and you never have to make multiple trips back to the car.

Burn That Belly said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Burn That Belly said:
Irvinecommuter said:
rickr said:
Talk Irvine has really deteriorated from what it originally started as. I don't post a lot but have been around since the IHB days. I feel like this board has been hijacked by people that have some agenda or work for TIC, 5Point, Agran, god knows who else. I still appreciate the insight from USC and Soylent John, but I am officially done with this board.

Good luck to all and your quest for ROI or whatever village you live in.

What agenda do you think is being pushed?

Join the 'A' team! Team Appreciation! That's the agenda for the day.

I will again quote what our Irvine God says:

irvinehomeshopper said:
Everyone cares about the property value including non-chinese. Who wants to get stuck with a property that will not resale well. Everyone is assuming the next buyer will be likely Chinese.

Sorry...I am really not following.  Are you saying that there is an agenda to sell to Chinese buyers?

Hrm. I don't know what agenda rickr is referring to.

Irvinecommuter, did you vote on B?

Not sure about rickr but I was asking about your comment that people have some sort of agenda.  I'm just curious what that is.  I have been around since the IHB days too and I am seen as a "TIC-phile" (which I do not agree with but that's another conversation).    I am just curious as to what are the points you like to convey.  I see that you are no on B and then some random posts about Chinese buyers and other things.  Just trying to get it all together and understand what you are saying.

I vote yes on B because 1) I think the cemetery is unlikely to be ever built in prime real estate and 2) I think it is a little unfair for those who have already bought into GP to have a memorial/cemetery built right next to their homes out of the blue.

Irvinecommuter said:
I vote yes on B because 1) I think the cemetery is unlikely to be ever built in prime real estate and 2) I think it is a little unfair for those who have already bought into GP to have a memorial/cemetery built right next to their homes out of the blue.
1. The cemetery is only unlikely if 5P continues its relentless campaign to kill it.
2. The Veterans Cemetery is definitely NOT out of the blue. The veterans cemetery was in discussion even before the Navy sold El Toro and the presence of the cemetery was part of the sale agreement. That 5P chose to conceal this from buyers does not make it "out of the blue".

So just for the record, I live in Pavilion Park and I voted Yes on B. I agree, with the site off Irvine Blvd, the cemetery will never be built. It will just go into politic hell.

I am actually on your side so don't know what I said that I would vote No. I have no care for ROI because I plan on staying at my house a long time. I actually like the fact that my house looks nothing like a TIC neighborhood Spanish cookie cutter whatever.

To be completely blunt and honest, the agenda I talk about is I feel that TIC has people on payroll that plant information on this and other forums to try to bring down GP/Altair. I guess it's the conspiracist in me.

rickr said:
So just for the record, I live in Pavilion Park and I voted Yes on B. I agree, with the site off Irvine Blvd, the cemetery will never be built. It will just go into politic hell.

I am actually on your side so don't know what I said that I would vote No. I have no care for ROI because I plan on staying at my house a long time. I actually like the fact that my house looks nothing like a TIC neighborhood Spanish cookie cutter whatever.

To be completely blunt and honest, the agenda I talk about is I feel that TIC has people on payroll that plant information on this and other forums to try to bring down GP/Altair. I guess it's the conspiracist in me.
I agree there is a conspiracy here. The conspiracy is a certain developer planting the idea here that the cemetery "will never be built" so they can sell as many houses as possible before the cemetery gets built.

Burn That Belly said:
Happiness said:
Irvinecommuter said:
1. The cemetery is only unlikely if 5P continues its relentless campaign to kill it.
2. The Veterans Cemetery is definitely NOT out of the blue. The veterans cemetery was in discussion even before the Navy sold El Toro and the presence of the cemetery was part of the sale agreement. That 5P chose to conceal this from buyers does not make it "out of the blue",

I am not sure about the pre-negotiation but PP opened in 2013 and Beacon Park about a year after.  I have been pretty active re Irvine real estate and I didn't hear anything a memorial until about 2014. 

The memorial will never get built if it is in the middle of GP.  Just not going to happen.

That's what I thought!! I beat you to it!  ;D

But yeah, the news first broke out way back in 2014. So excuses excuses. GP buyers had plenty of time then. If you buy a home, it's your responsibility to do your own due diligence.

How do you know values in GP will be lower if there is a Veterans Cemetery there?

In the famous SCOTUS case of Ollie's Barbeque Restaurant, Ollie's sued to stop the restaurant desegregation law all the way to the US Supreme Court because Ollie's feared that if blacks were allowed in the dining room, they would lose business because fewer whites would eat there.

Well, Ollie's lost the SCOTUS case and guess what, Ollie's business went way up. As it turns out, white people continued eating at Ollie's despite the presence of blacks in the dining room and Ollie's saw a big increase in black customers because they no longer had to eat on the picnic tables behind the restaurant.

Who knows, like Ollie's, the cemetery may increase home prices in the GP.

Happiness said:
How do you know values in GP will be lower if there is a Veterans Cemetery there?

In the famous SCOTUS case of Ollie's Barbeque Restaurant, Ollie's sued to stop the restaurant desegregation law all the way to the supreme court because Ollie's feared that if blacks were allowed in the dining room, they would lose business because fewer whites would eat there.

Well, Ollie's lost the case and guess what, Ollie's business went way up. As it turns out, white people continued eating at Ollie's despite the presence of blacks in the dining room and Ollie's saw a big increase in black customers because they no longer had to eat on the picnic tables behind the restaurant.

Who knows, like Ollie's the cemetery may increase home prices in the GP.

Because you eliminate a significant portion of the potential buying pool.

Burn That Belly said:
The money for the ARDA cemetery was already earmarked. The city council voted on it way back in 2014. Then residents nearby whined (the "everyone" crowd that IHS was referring to actually exists because they actually DO CARE about ROI ! Well how 'bout that ?!).  Then 5Point said "Oh shat, not our ROI too!" Let's do a swap deal!".  And then here we are today.

I am slowly, slowly uncovering the truth that "care" and "ROI" do exists amongst the TI community.  ;)  Isn't that shocking.

Again...PP started selling in 2013 and planning for GP started way before then.  I am not seeing any articles about ARDA until 2014 and the funding wasn't approved until later.

I am not trying to be contrarian but again...I have been following Irvine RE for a long time and I have heard of any possibility of a memorial until 2014.  If you can find me a link or article showing me something different, I appreciate it.

I'm not sure why ROI is not a proper consideration for homebuyers.  We all like ROI. 

Burn That Belly said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Burn That Belly said:
The money for the ARDA cemetery was already earmarked. The city council voted on it way back in 2014. Then residents nearby whined (the "everyone" crowd that IHS was referring to actually exists because they actually DO CARE about ROI ! Well how 'bout that ?!).  Then 5Point said "Oh shat, not our ROI too!" Let's do a swap deal!".  And then here we are today.

I am slowly, slowly uncovering the truth that "care" and "ROI" do exists amongst the TI community.  ;)  Isn't that shocking.

Again...PP started selling in 2013 and planning for GP started way before then.  I am not seeing any articles about ARDA until 2014 and the funding wasn't approved until later.

I am not trying to be contrarian but again...I have been following Irvine RE for a long time and I have heard of any possibility of a memorial until 2014.  If you can find me a link or article showing me something different, I appreciate it.

I'm not sure why ROI is not a proper consideration for homebuyers.  We all like ROI. 

It's not like PP resales are flying off the shelf today. So you can't blame the presence of a cemetery on that one.

1)  PP sold great and reselling pretty well.  BP has taken a little longer but is pretty much sold out.

2)  The prospect of a cemetery is potential deterrent.

3)  I am pretty sure I didn't make that point.

I am still trying to figure out what you are saying. 

Irvinecommuter said:
Burn That Belly said:

The City Council decision in 2014 was simply to approve the location of the veterans cemetery. Before the Navy sold El Toro, veterans groups lobbied the Navy hard for a cemetery at El Toro so the Navy decided that whoever bought El Toro would have to put a veterans cemetery there. That there would be a veterans cemetery somewhere on the El Toro base was part of the 2005 sale agreement Lennar and the Navy. Lennar and 5P was hoping they could stall the cemetery as long as possible but events in Sacramento in 2014 forced the City to act on the 2005 commitment.

Happiness said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Burn That Belly said:

The City Council decision in 2014 was simply to approve the location of the veterans cemetery. Before the Navy sold El Toro, veterans groups lobbied the Navy hard for a cemetery at El Toro so the Navy decided that whoever bought El Toro would have to put a veterans cemetery there. That there would be a veterans cemetery somewhere on the El Toro based was part of the 2005 sale agreement Lennar and the Navy. Lennar and 5P was hoping they could stall the cemetery as long as possible but events in Sacramento in 2014 forced the City to act.

Sure...I don't think anyone is objecting to a memorial...more about the location of the memorial.  I see nothing to indicate that the memorial would in the middle of the residential area of GP and next to the HS.

Back