San Mateo @Stonegate - Upgrade questions.

bimmerv

Hello,

I am new to this forum and I'm looking for suggestions for the following upgrade options:

1. Flooring: I have heard that going through the builder might not be the best option in terms of cost. Can someone suggest me a good contractor for an upgrade to hardwood flooring? For a 700 sq. ft of downstairs wooden flooring, can someone give an idea of cost difference between the contractor vs the builder?
2. Kitchen cabinets: IPac is offering an upgrade to Maple Raised Panel Almond/Chestnut/Espresso cabinets for $6300. Would it be a good idea to go through a contractor or shall I go with the builder considering convenience/warranty, etc?
3. Electrical/Wiring: I am considering wiring for 5.1 channel home theater, flush lights in all 3 bedrooms, ceiling fan pre-wiring in master bed and a couple of wiring outlets for hanging fixtures. Is there any other major electrical/wiring option that I should consider that can be tough/costly if it's done after the close of escrow?
4. Window treatment: Can someone recommend a good vendor that has reasonable pricing and good options for window treatment?

Thanks.

I would definitely make a priority out of those electrical /wiring items.  Those will be difficult to do later on imo.  Cabinets would be difficult as well.

Do the kitchen cabinets and electric/wiring upgrades through the builder.  Do the flooring and window treatments with an outside contractor. 

There may be deals out there for flooring if you use an outside vendor.  Irivine Pacific does give you a small $700 credit for not using their nasty cheap carpet.  Just because you get the flooring from the builder, don't assume it will be good.

If the flooring piece is scratched, dull, defective, etc.  that doesn't stop them from using it in your house.

Stick with the standard white cabinets for now unless it will clash with your flooring color.  Go for the lighting in all 3 of the rooms with the builder.  They will be installed with dimmer switch.

Go to the San Mateo 2 thread, someone uploaded the prices for plantation shutters from IP.

Thanks guys. Can you please refer a good vendor for window treatment work?

Regarding the cooktop/gas range, is the upgraded package which is for $2100 a must-have and would it be difficult to upgrade later if we go with the standard package now?

Thanks.

for cook-top if the upgrade is from free-standing to counter top, and counter top is what you want, you are better to go through the builder.
I agree with above posts that cabinet, electrical and plumbing upgrades are best to go through the builder.

bimmerv said:
Thanks guys. Can you please refer a good vendor for window treatment work?

Regarding the cooktop/gas range, is the upgraded package which is for $2100 a must-have and would it be difficult to upgrade later if we go with the standard package now?

Thanks.

Regarding your question on flooring, we have been quoted from the Design Center around 25K for tiles downstairs and laminate upstairs.
From an outside contractor, we have been quoted roughly 10K, but I'm sure we can still find a cheaper contractor.

bimmerv said:
Hello,

I am new to this forum and I'm looking for suggestions for the following upgrade options:

1. Flooring: I have heard that going through the builder might not be the best option in terms of cost. Can someone suggest me a good contractor for an upgrade to hardwood flooring? For a 700 sq. ft of downstairs wooden flooring, can someone give an idea of cost difference between the contractor vs the builder?
2. Kitchen cabinets: IPac is offering an upgrade to Maple Raised Panel Almond/Chestnut/Espresso cabinets for $6300. Would it be a good idea to go through a contractor or shall I go with the builder considering convenience/warranty, etc?
3. Electrical/Wiring: I am considering wiring for 5.1 channel home theater, flush lights in all 3 bedrooms, ceiling fan pre-wiring in master bed and a couple of wiring outlets for hanging fixtures. Is there any other major electrical/wiring option that I should consider that can be tough/costly if it's done after the close of escrow?
4. Window treatment: Can someone recommend a good vendor that has reasonable pricing and good options for window treatment?

Thanks.

I did canned lighting in all the bedrooms.  It was worth the money in my opnion.  For the 5.1 surround sound...the quality of wires they are using from what I have been made aware of isn't all that great.  Depends on the audio person you are.  After it was all said and done, I didn't feel like the 5.1 surround sound cost was worth it.  Because all they do is run a wire...and cover it with a wall plate.  You still have to cut a hole and insert speaker mounts if you want to use the wiring.  At that point if you're going through that much work what's poking a few more holes and running the wire yourself (rather having a pro audio guy do it)

broda said:
I did canned lighting in all the bedrooms.  It was worth the money in my opnion.  For the 5.1 surround sound...the quality of wires they are using from what I have been made aware of isn't all that great.  Depends on the audio person you are.  After it was all said and done, I didn't feel like the 5.1 surround sound cost was worth it.  Because all they do is run a wire...and cover it with a wall plate.  You still have to cut a hole and insert speaker mounts if you want to use the wiring.  At that point if you're going through that much work what's poking a few more holes and running the wire yourself (rather having a pro audio guy do it)

Can you provide a price list?  We are getting close to buying and kinda want to know what we are getting into.

Irvinecommuter said:
broda said:

Can you provide a price list?  We are getting close to buying and kinda want to know what we are getting into.

Sorry, I don't have a price list, all the options are listed on your website once you purchase your home you'll be able to see all the options and how much they cost. The options I didn't pick are no longer visible to me.

If you're curious about something in paticular i might know how much it is if I bought it.

broda said:

Hello broda - Thanks for sharing the info. Actually I was planning to get the 7.1 surround sound upgrade. The design center has given a quote of $820 for this custom request compared to the $525 cost for a 5.1 surround sound upgrade. Since "in-ceiling" is not a great configuration, so I requested them for a "in-wall" arrangement for front 2 channels and for the surround left/right. Since there is no wall at the back, I would have to go with a "in-ceiling" setup for the 2 rear speakers. The Design Center has refused to do this "in-wall" setup. Do you think digging holes in the wall for 7 speakers and a sub-woofer through a vendor rather than getting it done by the builder would be a hassle-free job? Do they have to cut through the entire wall all along the length of the wire to do this setup or simply drilling a few holes is sufficient?

Thanks.

bimmerv said:
Do they have to cut through the entire wall all along the length of the wire to do this setup or simply drilling a few holes is sufficient?

The installer should be able to run the wires through the attic for the wires that would be running accross the top of the ceiling and then drop those wires between the wall behind your tv. You should definitely get the conduit upgrade. Kind of a ripoff at a couple hundred bucks but its more convenient than having the installer cut a hole above your fireplace and through your media cabinets, etc.

qwerty said:
bimmerv said:
Do they have to cut through the entire wall all along the length of the wire to do this setup or simply drilling a few holes is sufficient?

The installer should be able to run the wires through the attic for the wires that would be running accross the top of the ceiling and then drop those wires between the wall behind your tv. You should definitely get the conduit upgrade. Kind of a ripoff at a couple hundred bucks but its more convenient than having the installer cut a hole above your fireplace and through your media cabinets, etc.

Yes, I think the conduit is there as a standard option on the media hub location (where the TV would be wall mounted). So, are you suggesting that since it involves a lot of rip off I should go with the builder with the 5.1 surround package upgrade? If it's simply drilling a few holes by a contractor and if that would give me a desired speaker location I would prefer that. Please advice.

bimmerv said:
qwerty said:
bimmerv said:

Yes, I think the conduit is there as a standard option on the media hub location (where the TV would be wall mounted). So, are you suggesting that since it involves a lot of rip off I should go with the builder with the 5.1 surround package upgrade? If it's simply drilling a few holes by a contractor and if that would give me a desired speaker location I would prefer that. Please advice.

I meant the conduit through the builder is a ripoff but if it is standard them that is great. Normally it's 200-300 to get the conduit through the builder.  I don't think it makes sense for the builder to run the wire to the speaker locations behind you. The installer should be able to run those wires pretty easy. Just like anything else, call and get a quote from a third party and compare to the builders price. I could be wrong on the wiring so it's always good to check with an actual installer, but I would think its pretty easy

bimmerv said:
qwerty said:
bimmerv said:

I opted not to because they couldn't tell me what kind of wiring was used for the speakers.  As I mentioned before, they just place the wire in there and cover it with a blank wall plate...so you're not getting much besides a hole and wire.  My buddy's place in West Irvine...they pre-installed speakers for you...they were cheap yes...but at least you had speaker covers for your house so you could install anything behind it.  That was my expectation of the speaker pre-wire.  The ONLY thing I considered but they charged a lot more was wiring speakers to the outside to so you could hook up surround sound to the backyard.

Not to hijack this thread, but how much are upgrades in total for getting the absolute basic?  Even having a bedroom as opposed to a den?

I am wondering if it's still affordable with all the additional costs.
Thanks for the great input, I was hoping to do most of my upgrades with a contractor but good to know what to get with the builder.

none said:
Not to hijack this thread, but how much are upgrades in total for getting the absolute basic?  Even having a bedroom as opposed to a den?

I am wondering if it's still affordable with all the additional costs.
Thanks for the great input, I was hoping to do most of my upgrades with a contractor but good to know what to get with the builder.
I would definitely do upgrades like recessed lighting, cabinet, granite, and/or wiring upgrades through the builder.  I think you can do all mostly all standard options with a few upgrades and spend less than 1% on the upgrades.

Thanks again.  I assumed recessed lighting could be done with a contractor, but makes sense what you list.
I'd probably do the upgrade of bedroom rather than a den, and of course a shower (where it's listed as optional).
I also saw that some doors are optional.  I never thought a door would be optional.  I'd definitely get the door though.
I married my man but do not need to see his business from the bedroom. 

do recessed lighting in every room. the lighting of a room is much better this way than with lamps.  i think various people here have mentioned regretting not getting the recessed lights. you can cut corners anywhere else, but get the recessed lights.

Back