San Marcos Plan 3 vs Las Ventanas Plan 2

fishfinder333

I took a look at these 2 plans over the weekend and feel they are very comparable. Which one would you choose and why?

San Marcos Plan 3 Detached Condo Stonegate
$695,00
Sqft: 2,055
HOA: $110
PT/Mello: 1.6%
4br/3bths

Pros: Stongegate less Fire Danger
Cons: Zoned as Condo, no driveway

Las Ventanas True SFH Portola Springs
$650,000
Sqft:2,075
HOA: $150
PT/Mello:1.75%
4br/3ths

Pros: True SFH, driveway
Cons: Portola Springs/ Fire Danger

Which one would you want to move in as a rental?  I usually would buy one of these and try to turn it into a rental in the future.  That's how I approach buying condos. 

No brainer...I'll take the SFR with the driveway for less money.  No driveway and/or motorcourt = no purchase

USCTrojanCPA said:
No brainer...I'll take the SFR with the driveway for less money.  No driveway and/or motorcourt = no purchase

Would you still take SFR even in Portola Springs has increased fire danger and with the stigma it carries? It seems Portola has a bad rap for some reason so I worry about future sales as well.

fishfinder333 said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

Would you still take SFR even in Portola Springs has increased fire danger and with the stigma it carries? It seems Portola has a bad rap for some reason so I worry about future sales as well.
Stonegate is literally a stone's throw away from Portola so you should have similar firm concerns with Stonegate as you do with Portola.  The main stigma Portola carries is that is not fully developed with schools and a pretty shopping center.  Once those come into play, you can expect prices to firm up.  Sure the proximity to the toll road is a small negative, but the pricing and driveway make up for it.  I don't like alley loaded and motorcourt homes and will never buy one.  I actually think there is a higher probability of price appreciation of homes in Portola versus Stonegate and/or Woodbury.  And speaking of Woodbury, what about the stigma of Stonegate being the red-headed step child of Woodbury?

fishfinder333 said:
$650,000
PT/Mello:1.6%
4br/3ths

Take the SFR in PS.  I never understood how people who liked woodbury said Portola was too far, no you are saying that a con of Las ventanas is that it is in Portola, Stonegate is less than half a mile a way! Stonegate shares the same portola parkway as a border!  I just dont understand some peoples logic.

We're actually considering these two as well.

I think LV is price competitively, but I think the reason it is is due to the proximity of the toll road.  I suggest you go to the site throughout the day and see if you can stand not only the site of the toll road but the noise.  I went there tonight around 8 pm and I did a loop around the northern enclave and I noticed the 133 is much noisier around Arrowhead then if you head further north to where the water tower is at (where Casero and Sevilla is being built).  Even at an off-peak time like 8 pm Sunday, it was loud.  I can hear it all the way pass the park and Paloma homes.  Still, it would be hard to pass up a SFR for 700k but proximity to the toll road I feel will hurt resale value in the future.  If it wasn't for the toll road, I'd already be in line for keys for LV and I'm sure future potential buyers will have similar reservations.

With that said, I feel San Marcos is overpriced.  Its approaching $350/sq ft and doesn't even offer a driveway.  To me giving up a driveway and being in a motorcourt is a sacrifice (mainly for price) and being one of the highest $/sq ft ratios in recently developments, I find it difficult to justify the price.  Maybe TIC feels that SG is the only new development that isn't sitting on a freeway, so it demands a premium.  If that's the case, I rather wait. 

USCTrojanCPA said:
I don't like alley loaded and motorcourt homes and will never buy one. 
Heh... I think you need to qualify this statement... unless the condo you used to own in QH had a driveway.

While it is true that Stonegate and Woodbury are not very far from PS by car... for families, Stonegate and WB are more convenient because two things are walkable, the elem school and the shopping center

PS may never have an elem school and until their shopping center gets built (which could be years), that inconvenience will be there for a while. That is a factor for many people.

Location aside, LV Plan 2's floor plan is superior to SMar's Plan 3. There really is no comparison because although the overall sq footage is the same, I think LV's execution is better (haven't been in the models but have been in the Capistrano Plan 2 which almost identical to SMar's Plan 3). I really don't like SMar's floor plans which makes me sad because these are the same ones that are probably going into Laguna Altura.

fishfinder333 said:
I took a look at these 2 plans over the weekend and feel they are very comparable. Which one would you choose and why?

$695,00
4br/3bths

$650,000
4br/3ths

Like your thread title, LV's effective tax rate is around 1.75% not 1.6%.  Floorplans aside, the dealbreakers for me will be the elementary school and the toll road.  I'm currently next  to the 5, so I deserve some peace and quiet.  Try to go to both homesites back to back.. that's what I did and Stonegate still seems better suited for me.  LV's low pricing might not hold, due to the small lots of the first phase and the proximity of the toll road.  It seems like they want to clear out the worst sites first and gouge the later phases.. 

USCTrojanCPA said:
fishfinder333 said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

Stonegate is literally a stone's throw away from Portola so you should have similar firm concerns with Stonegate as you do with Portola.  The main stigma Portola carries is that is not fully developed with schools and a pretty shopping center.  Once those come into play, you can expect prices to firm up.  Sure the proximity to the toll road is a small negative, but the pricing and driveway make up for it.  I don't like alley loaded and motorcourt homes and will never buy one.  I actually think there is a higher probability of price appreciation of homes in Portola versus Stonegate and/or Woodbury.  And speaking of Woodbury, what about the stigma of Stonegate being the red-headed step child of Woodbury?

I tend to agree with your statements. The pricing is very appealing and having a driveway is a major plus. We have more than 2 cars and driving around at night looking for a parking spot doesn't sound appealing.Sometimes I wonder once all the schools and shopping centers are built out at PS and Orchard Hills begins construction, PS will lose the stigma of living in the boonies? I truly feel Las Ventanas has more upside in terms of appreciation vs san marcos in the longterm. San Marcos pricing seems pretty high arleady and I can't picture these homes going much higher.

Since PS is a fire area has anybody heard of home owners having trouble securing fire insurance?

blitzjs said:

I think LV is price competitively, but I think the reason it is is due to the proximity of the toll road.  I suggest you go to the site throughout the day and see if you can stand not only the site of the toll road but the noise.  I went there tonight around 8 pm and I did a loop around the northern enclave and I noticed the 133 is much noisier around Arrowhead then if you head further north to where the water tower is at (where Casero and Sevilla is being built).  Even at an off-peak time like 8 pm Sunday, it was loud.  I can hear it all the way pass the park and Paloma homes.  Still, it would be hard to pass up a SFR for 700k but proximity to the toll road I feel will hurt resale value in the future.  If it wasn't for the toll road, I'd already be in line for keys for LV and I'm sure future potential buyers will have similar reservations.

With that said, I feel San Marcos is overpriced.  Its approaching $350/sq ft and doesn't even offer a driveway.  To me giving up a driveway and being in a motorcourt is a sacrifice (mainly for price) and being one of the highest $/sq ft ratios in recently developments, I find it difficult to justify the price.  Maybe TIC feels that SG is the only new development that isn't sitting on a freeway, so it demands a premium.  If that's the case, I rather wait.

Have you made a decision on which one you will buy? or will you wait for future opportunities...perhasp Cypress Village?

irvinehomeowner said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Heh... I think you need to qualify this statement... unless the condo you used to own in QH had a driveway.

While it is true that Stonegate and Woodbury are not very far from PS by car... for families, Stonegate and WB are more convenient because two things are walkable, the elem school and the shopping center

PS may never have an elem school and until their shopping center gets built (which could be years), that inconvenience will be there for a while. That is a factor for many people.

Location aside, LV Plan 2's floor plan is superior to SMar's Plan 3. There really is no comparison because although the overall sq footage is the same, I think LV's execution is better (haven't been in the models but have been in the Capistrano Plan 2 which almost identical to SMar's Plan 3). I really don't like SMar's floor plans which makes me sad because these are the same ones that are probably going into Laguna Altura.

Any word on when PS school and shopping center will be built?

ps99472 said:
fishfinder333 said:

$695,00
4br/3bths

$650,000
4br/3ths

Like your thread title, LV's effective tax rate is around 1.75% not 1.6%.  Floorplans aside, the dealbreakers for me will be the elementary school and the toll road.  I'm currently next  to the 5, so I deserve some peace and quiet.  Try to go to both homesites back to back.. that's what I did and Stonegate still seems better suited for me.  LV's low pricing might not hold, due to the small lots of the first phase and the proximity of the toll road.  It seems like they want to clear out the worst sites first and gouge the later phases..

Thanks, I changed the rate. I agree that pricing probably won't hold, but I don't think it will sky rocket. The biggest thing las ventanas has going for it is pricing. If they raise the prices to high they won't sell. For phase one builder was including frig,washer and dryer as incentives.

I honestly don't think TM will raise the prices for the later phases any if anything at all (the larger lots at the end might have some premium) because they will hurt themselves too much.  If you go through TM's lender you will also get a $2,500 credit. 

fishfinder333 said:
Any word on when PS school and shopping center will be built?
http://www.iusd.org/enrollment/EnrollmentInfoForResidentsOfPortolaSprings.html
When will the New Elementary School in Portola Open?
The District has purchased a site in Portola Springs for a new K-6 elementary school, and is scheduled to open in the fall of 2014.

What grade levels will the new school serve?
The new school will serve students from K-6.
As for a middle school, looks like you'll have to travel to Cypress Village:
When is the new middle school expected to open?
A middle school serving grades 7-8 is expected to open in PA 40 in 2013 (subject to change based on timing of new development). The school will serve students residing north of Interstate 5 and east of Jeffrey. The school will be located near the corner of Trabuco and Jeffrey (155 Visions, Irv 92620).
As for the shopping center, until they build enough homes in PS... I don't see it opening soon. Woodbury Town Center has vacancies and so does the Orchard Hills shopping center.

irvinehomeowner said:
As for the shopping center, until they build enough homes in PS... I don't see it opening soon. Woodbury Town Center has vacancies and so does the Orchard Hills shopping center.

TIC is different than most developers. They like to put the shopping center and schools in first before any homes. Examples: Orchard Hills mall and Stonegate Elementary. Not sure why TIC changed their play book for PS--probably due to lack of directly adjoining communities.

irvinehomeowner said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

My QH condo did have a driveway and that was one of the reasons I bought it (I waited one phase release so I could get the floor plan with the driveway).  The alleyloaded set-up was kind of annoying to me but the driveway helped a lot and I knew that I was buying an attached product so dealing with the alleyloaded set-up was what I had to accept.  You like your 3-car garages....I like my driveways.

fishfinder333 said:
blitzjs said:

Have you made a decision on which one you will buy? or will you wait for future opportunities...perhasp Cypress Village?

No we haven't made a decision but we're leaning towards waiting.  CV is unlikely, not a fan of moving towards the freeway.  I think SG has the most potential, but not at those prices, unless I absolutely fall in love with one of their floor plans.  With San Marcos and San Mateo being just the detached versions of Los Altos and Capistrano, I doubt I'll be falling in love anytime soon. ???

When looking at Sevilla homes some lenders required buyers get flood insurance due to the water tank. Does anybody know if this is true for Las Ventanas? Also does the water tank pose a danger to Las Ventanas in case the tank does rupture? I'm not sure where the tank is located.

fishfinder333 said:
When looking at Sevilla homes some lenders required buyers get flood insurance due to the water tank. Does anybody know if this is true for Las Ventanas? Also does the water tank pose a danger to Las Ventanas in case the tank does rupture? I'm not sure where the tank is located.

Google map shows directly above LV, there is an access road running along the 133, right after you pass under the freeway heading east

Back