San Diego Zoo

irvinehomeowner

So over a year ago we went to the San Diego Safari Park:http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,2021.0.html

This year, since we decided on a Staycation for the holidays, and the kids wanted to go to the San Diego Zoo:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/san-diego-zoo-san-diego

I don't even know if I have ever been there... even as a kid because we would go to the LA Zoo. After walking around a bit, it didn't trigger any neural synapses so I think it was my first time.

The Mrs, who doesn't like zoos, noted that this one seemed better than the others we have visited because the animals seemed more engaged and active. We're not sure if it's the time of the year... or how this zoo is laid out.... but I do think the SD zoo has a better environment for the animals than other zoos. She always feels sorry for the animals because they are "trapped"... I try to tell her that she needs to consider the other side where in the wild, these animals would probably not live as long and have harder lives... where as in a zoo, they are pampered, admired by many and don't have to hunt or are not hunted. At least.... that what I tell the kids.

All in all, it was a fun experience, everything was walkable and you can see many of the animals well. Food was sort of expensive (about $8-10), drinks were very expensive ($5 for a soda).... but kid meals were okay ($7.70 including a drink).

We bought tickets at AAA.... you get a 10% discount buying ticket at the zoo with your AAA card... but if you buy them from AAA, you get about a 12% discount (we bought ours at the AAA on Alton and Culver). If you plan to visit the zoo more during 2013, you can upgrade your tickets in the park to an annual membership for only $55 per 2 adults and $11 per child.

For a souvenir, the kids wanted to buy a plush in the gift shop, but instead we did the AdoptAnAnimal program where you donate $15/20/25/50 and you get an adoption certificate, a picture of the animal, a small tote bag and a small plush of the animal. The money goes towards buying food and misc items for the animals in the zoo.... something we thought was better than just buying something from the gift shop.

EDIT: Ticket prices for 1-day are $44 for adults, $34 for kids (before discounts).,

I'm also not much of a zoo fan. Never really look forward to going. However, I recently went to the Santa Barbara zoo. I would have to say it's the most beautiful zoo I've visited. If we had that photo-self-destruction app here on TI I'd upload some of my photos. Beautiful grounds, nice vistas. Not too small but still walk-able. Family and visitor friendly. Left the car at home. Took the shuttle & trolley everywhere. S.B. is a great pedestrian destination.

FYI, membership to the San Diego Zoo gives you access to both the Zoo and Wild Animal Park/Safari Park. Plus the membership payment is tax deductible.

+1 for San Diego Zoo. I liked it a lot, after SFo Zoo. The big lion feeding at SFO was an amazing experience. I don't know if they still do it.
We thought it would be a staycation, but ended up making a trip to central CA for three nights. It was a lot of fun..

BTW, the new year's resolution is not to buy any annual passes for theme parks. Got ourselves County beach and park pass for$80. Don't know if we will save money on parking considering most of the places are free or $3. I will try to keep a tab and see how it worked though. If kids and Mrs.IHO are into hiking, check out Laguna Coast Wilderness park. A walk up Little Sycamore will be fun for the kids. Both are 5+?

Back