Retail Openings and Closures

Passed by the Oak Creek shopping center and saw new signage for "I Can Barbecue Korean Grill" on the space that used to be Pain Du Monde /  McVeans. Googled and found this:

www.icanbbq.net

Called the number and they are opening January 15.

Look for me on opening day. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
Passed by the Oak Creek shopping center and saw new signage for "I Can Barbecue Korean Grill" on the space that used to be Pain Du Monde /  McVeans. Googled and found this:

www.icanbbq.net

Called the number and they are opening January 15.

Look for me on opening day. :)

So, Iho, what's your pleasure:

"Spicy Baby Octopus"?
The "Large Intestine" or "Small Intestine"?
Hard to pick.

I think I'll get the "abomasum" i.e. the cheese-curdling stomach... unless I can get a live octopus? I prefer to get to know its personality before eating it.

Went to try Puesto today but they aren't opened yet.  There was still a hostess at the front and she apologized for not yet being opened and gave me a $12 gift card for a future visit.  If you guys are in the neighborhood, stop by and look disappointed when they tell you they're not open yet...

Puesto looked open over the weekend.

Finally tried Spoleto by UCI, it's basically an Italian Chipotle where you pick your pastas, sauce and add stuff into it (they also have flatbread AKA pizza). It was okay, kind of pricey but I'll try it again.

Read that Panera Bread in The District closed. That mall is horrible for businesses... saw a new sandwich shop open there (where Capriotti's used to be). Not sure how long that will last.

aquabliss said:
Noooooooo Round Table Pizza in Northpark Plaza closed... I'm getting just as hungry as I am sad.
That Round Table might open again. The franchisee closed all of their OC Round Tables but the company is trying to re-open them.

The article was in the OCReg.

Did not know about the IHOP, we started going there since they closed the other off of Michelson. The one across from the airport has higher pricing but it is a 24-hour one.

Cha Chas looks like upscale Mexican food which is an oxymoron (yes I'm looking at you Javier's).

irvinehomeowner said:
aquabliss said:
Noooooooo Round Table Pizza in Northpark Plaza closed... I'm getting just as hungry as I am sad.

Cha Chas looks like upscale Mexican food which is an oxymoron (yes I'm looking at you Javier's).

Better pricing at Del taco?

It looks like that horrible Asian market next to the closed Ihop  on University is going to be replaced by another horrible Asian market. What's wrong with putting something like Mothers there or any other market where the produce is fresh?

Actually, I'm looking forward to the food court and bakery if the bread is really fresh. I'm just hoping that cheap doesn't mean rotten when it comes to the produce.

I can"t tell from the article if it opens tomorrow or in February.
http://m.ocregister.com/articles/zion-741352-store-mart.html

Zion Market opens new-concept Asian grocery store in Irvine

By TOMOYA SHIMURA, STAFF WRITER ?
IRVINE ? Zion Market is set to open its second Irvine store on Wednesday, with a slightly different concept than the East Asian grocery chain?s other locations.
The new store, called Zion Mart, replaces multiethnic grocery store Farm Direct as the anchor tenant at Parkview Center on University Drive. Zion Mart will be a prototype for the family-owned and operated Zion Market, which has stores in Irvine, Buena Park, Cerritos, Los Angeles, Hawaiian Gardens and San Diego, according to a release.
?Zion Mart will be a Korean-American grocery store committed to bringing quality products at affordable prices to the community,? Moses Hwang, director of operations for Zion Mart, said in a statement.
?We will expand our signature offerings of Korean, Japanese and Chinese produce and food products to include an assortment of American grocery staples so that our shoppers can readily find more of what they need.?
Farm Direct representatives couldn?t be reached for comment Monday.
ADVERTISEMENT

In addition to a meat and seafood department and fresh produce, the 30,000-square-foot Zion Mart will offer:
? Prepared and pre-packaged foods, including marinated meats and bulgogi rice bowls;
? A cold-pressed juice and espresso bar;
? Kombucha on tap
? Traditional Korean bakery with fresh sandwich breads, sweet potato cakes, roll cakes, chestnut pastries ? all baked on site; and
? A mini-food court with Asian noodle soups and dishes, including sushi rolls.
The new store will have traditional American products alongside similar Asian products.
Hwang on Monday said he will discuss more details about his concept as it gets closer to the Feb. 16 grand opening celebration.
Zion Mart is at 5331 University Drive, across the street from Tanaka Farms, joining Cielo Coffee, Pho Tasia and other businesses.
Farm Direct opened in 2014 after Ralphs moved out the previous year

aquabliss said:
IHOP in the Market Place closed... Will be replaced by... (Wait for it)... Cha Chas Latin kitchen
That place was always busy with long waits.  I doubt they left on their own.  Irvine company kicked them out?  WTF, Irvine Company, WTF. 

spootieho said:
aquabliss said:
IHOP in the Market Place closed... Will be replaced by... (Wait for it)... Cha Chas Latin kitchen
That place was always busy with long waits.  I doubt they left on their own.  Irvine company kicked them out?  WTF, Irvine Company, WTF.

Like when Claim Jumper closed a few years ago. It was always super crowded.

Back