Retail Openings and Closures

The cookies at Stacks in the University center are actually pretty good.

Their prices are reasonable, I think it's 79-99cents for one. They are not that big... but then their ice cream is also a good price, $1.99 for a single, $2.99 for a double... so <$3 for a 2 cookies with a scoop of ice cream in between is actually a good deal.

$2.00-2.50 a cookie is robbery. Yesterday, I baked 2 dozen peanut butter cookies (the old-fashioned crosshatch kind) of generous size for under $3. And it would've been even cheaper had I bought the secret ingredient, which is the priciest part of it, at Costco instead of the grocery store.

Qwerty, is it bad that I want to blindfold you and feed you cookies? I want to force a taste test on you and see if you can tell the difference between a $2 cookie and a $2 per dozen homemade cookie. I think homemade cookies are so much better but I do get the convenience aspect of buying them. People pay for convenience.

SoCal said:
Qwerty, is it bad that I want to blindfold you and feed you cookies? I want to force a taste test on you and see if you can tell the difference between a $2 cookie and a $2 per dozen homemade cookie. I think homemade cookies are so much better but I do get the convenience aspect of buying them. People pay for convenience.  the cravory cookies are the best i have ever had, very moist and rich. home made cookies normally dont come out that good. but i dont really know any good bakers, other than you of course :)

Socal - is it bad that i have dreamt about you blindfolding me and feeding me cookies? :)

yeah it is definitely for convenience, on occasion i pay $36 for a dozen (including shipping) to get cookies from the cravory. although they come up with some pretty unique flavors that we would never be able to make.

Socal - have you ever made anything like these flavors? these are the flavor of the month. my sister in law is going to include one of each flavor as part of the dozen she is bringing me.
https://thecravory.com/product-category/flavors-of-the-month/

Sorry for the late reply. I was busy ordering the Shamrock Milkshake cookies.  :) Kidding! They do look good, though.

I noticed when you quoted me, you "put cookies in my mouth". I'm pretty sure I never said half of that.  :D But I believe you that they are moist and rich. Looking through their site, it seems a lot of their cookies are what's called a "crinkle cookie". (The ones where the icing looks cracked on top.) Crinkle cookies are actually made with a thickened cake batter. They are very easy to make! If you ever feel like making them at home, I recommend using those search terms. I make them sometimes like the red velvet and the lemon. The nice thing about baking is that it is science. There is a formula. And from one base, the combinations and possibilities are endless.

i tried the cookie connection today. dont waste your money. cookies are not sweet and are not moist.  they are ok. the cravory in san diego is a $2 cookie that tastes like a $5 cookie. the cookie connection tastes like a mass produced cookie. oreos are much better than cookie connection.

Speaking of expensive cookies, have you guys tried Baking Betty's at Fashion Island? They are ridiculously expensive, and not even that good. Seriously, the 3 for $1 cookies at McDs are better. I don't know why people would pay so much for a cookie.

Every UCLA student/alum speaks longingly about Diddy Riese in Westwood Village.  Delicious cookies and cheap.  2 freshly baked cookies and a scoop of ice cream used to cost a buck. 

to be fair, college taste buds are not that sophisticated.  i loved diddy riese 15 years ago and went there at least once a week during the summers but when i tried it a couple years ago, the cookies were hard and the ice cream had way too much sugar. 

carmela ice cream needs to come to OC...now thats a tasty ice cream sandwich!

irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:
There is a new creamistry place opening up next to burntzilla. Can't temeber the name.
ScoopsNScoops.

Sounds like cleaning up after your dogs.

Ahhhh!  Now I don't think I can ever go there without thinking what you just said.

I didn't even attend UCLA (SLO!) and can't forget about Diddy Riese and the exceptional prices. Of course Irvine believes in raising prices to create a luxury demand instead of a lower price attracting lots of interest. Are cookies inelastic goods?

traceimage said:
Speaking of expensive cookies, have you guys tried Baking Betty's at Fashion Island? They are ridiculously expensive, and not even that good. Seriously, the 3 for $1 cookies at McDs are better. I don't know why people would pay so much for a cookie.

Ikr?! Thank you!

And I wasn't going to say anything but I had those cookies 3x last week. (That isn't normal for me. It was a bad week.) They are my favorite. I also like the white chocolate chip macademia nut at Subway.

qwerty said:
traceimage said:
I don't know why people would pay so much for a cookie.

because we have wives that dont bake!!!!!!!!!!!

Impossible! You're saying it's NOT part of the "job interview"? I heard that "the best way to a man's heart is through his stomach" so I often used to bake Mr. SoCal a batch of cookies when we were dating and drive them down to him.  :)

Back