Retail Openings and Closures

zubs said:
I have been to that Target twice and both times I got stuck trying to get out.
I hate that target parking lot.
Perhaps it's because it has more people than other Targets,
or perhaps the design of the shopping center is fucked.

who knows.

The entrance to the shopping center is right there at the entrance of target.  Whoever designed the whole plaza must have been smoking that J.

jmoney74 said:
zubs said:
I have been to that Target twice and both times I got stuck trying to get out.
I hate that target parking lot.
Perhaps it's because it has more people than other Targets,
or perhaps the design of the shopping center is fucked.

who knows.

The entrance to the shopping center is right there at the entrance of target.  Whoever designed the whole plaza must have been smoking that J.

The entire place was badly designed....the place near TJ Maxx/Michaels is a disaster zone.

MCow Yakitori/Cafe is closed on Culver and the 5.  That restaurant was always kind of weird, where the two restaurant seems to share the same owner and kitchen, but they make you go through different doors.  I walked into the yakitori side the first time, thinking I can order the Taiwanese dishes there, but they told me I have to go next door, which is fine.  I went to the restroom and discovered that the two restaurants was actually connected and shares the same kitchen.  Odd that they choose not to make it one big restaurant and let you order yakitori or Taiwanese food.

It's now Boiling Point #2, which for now is by reservation only (the sign on the door says min. 2 hour in advance reservation required).  Hopefully this reduces the wait time for BP.  I would go to BP more often if not for the wait.  Heard BP also got the old Denny's building too.

gaogi said:
MCow Yakitori/Cafe is closed on Culver and the 5.  That restaurant was always kind of weird, where the two restaurant seems to share the same owner and kitchen, but they make you go through different doors.  I walked into the yakitori side the first time, thinking I can order the Taiwanese dishes there, but they told me I have to go next door, which is fine.  I went to the restroom and discovered that the two restaurants was actually connected and shares the same kitchen.  Odd that they choose not to make it one big restaurant and let you order yakitori or Taiwanese food.

It's now Boiling Point #2, which for now is by reservation only (the sign on the door says min. 2 hour in advance reservation required).  Hopefully this reduces the wait time for BP.  I would go to BP more often if not for the wait.  Heard BP also got the old Denny's building too.

That's what they get for pissing me off, gave them my Kobe ps9 death stare curse.

If one wants to get yakitori - they don't want to think that they are being served in a Taiwanese restaurant.

gaogi said:

BP is fine for what it is...a little pricey but good on a cold day.  Their "broth" is not all that great.  Lunch is the same price as dinner except you get a drink.

I don't quite get why they have two locations in the same mall...seems like a good way to cannibalize sales.  DJ or elsewhere in Irvine makes more sense to me. 

I remember when I was younger, they had hot pot buffets with individualized hot pots.  I would totally got there for like $15 rather then spending like $11 for BP.

Irvinecommuter said:
gaogi said:

BP is fine for what it is...a little pricey but good on a cold day.  Their "broth" is not all that great.  Lunch is the same price as dinner except you get a drink.

I don't quite get why they have two locations in the same mall...seems like a good way to cannibalize sales.  DJ or elsewhere in Irvine makes more sense to me. 

I remember when I was younger, they had hot pot buffets with individualized hot pots.  I would totally got there for like $15 rather then spending like $11 for BP.

The rent at DJ is much much higher... They did inquire about it already. 

For a good hot pot place, Jazz Cat is pretty good!

DTF in Arcadia has two locations that are within walking distance (same street, different street numbers) and the business is still good. Not saying BP is in the same league as DTF, but I am surprised out of town guests know about BP and want to visit it.

Irvinecommuter said:
gaogi said:

FARMMMMMIE said:
Irvinecommuter said:
gaogi said:

The rent at DJ is much much higher... They did inquire about it already. 

For a good hot pot place, Jazz Cat is pretty good!

Sure but you get a lot more traffic there as well...obviously I didn't do the balance sheets/analysis but it just seems weird that the two branches are so close to together.  Even the 99 Ranch Mall on Culver would be a good place to be...Orangetree is also an alternative.  That location where the pho place used to be is on their third iteration of restaurants.

The pizza craze is still going strong. Tried to go to pieology @ marketplace last night around 6:30/7 and the place was jam packed with a super long line.  Went next door to veggie grill. Place was doing good business - prob getting some overflow from pieology. Ended up leaving bc I couldn't bring myself to get fake chicken. Drove over to the 302 area.  302 was decently busy, g burger and that sandwich place was dead. Ended up trying California gogi which apparently just opened last week. Really friendly staff but food was so-so and salty. I feel like if I want real korean, I should just spend $5-10 more bucks and go to a real korean restaurant.

bones said:
The pizza craze is still going strong. Tried to go to pieology @ marketplace last night around 6:30/7 and the place was jam packed with a super long line.  Went next door to veggie grill. Place was doing good business - prob getting some overflow from pieology. Ended up leaving bc I couldn't bring myself to get fake chicken. Drove over to the 302 area.  302 was decently busy, g burger and that sandwich place was dead. Ended up trying California gogi which apparently just opened last week. Really friendly staff but food was so-so and salty. I feel like if I want real korean, I should just spend $5-10 more bucks and go to a real korean restaurant.

That's disappointing to hear...I was hoping for a good quick-Korean place. 

I wasn't a big pieology fan at first but I'm a convert.  For the price you pay and the size of the pizza...it's a bargain. 

I didn't like Gogi at first (the one by UCI), but I've grown to like it for a fast Korean food fix.

I still don't know why Pieology gets so crowded, Blaze has a superior product (even Mod is better to me).

irvinehomeowner said:
I still don't know why Pieology gets so crowded, Blaze has a superior product (even Mod is better to me).

Oh my gosh. That reminds me of the Pieology at the Spectrum. I go the Spectrum every week on a weekday around noon and each time I drive by, I'm rubber-necking like...  :eek: It's sooo crowded. But then again so is next door at Urban Seoul - probably even moreso!

You guys should try out the new location and report back.  I had the "stacked" bowl which is what I got over at the UCI one.  They also have a "mixed" bowl (bimbambap) and some special menu too (ramen, tonkatsu, etc) which I don't think the UCI location had. I haven't been over to that food court area in awhile and was pleasantly surprised to see they got rid of half that parking lot and made it into more seating and a grass area.  Pretty kid friendly and lots for everyone to choose from in case people are craving different things. 

ps9 said:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/kingchops-irvine

Pork chop fans rejoice, kingchops is now open (soft?) in Irvine.  Paired with a cold can of Sarsparilla and I'm happy.  Anyone try it yet?  Same area as iTea and 4 seas, guess that center doesn't have a no competition clause.

Went there for lunch today.  Pork chop is not bad, seasoned on the sweet side, and they use very little breading/potato starch on the pork.  Rice was a little clumpy, water was warm (for that authentic Taiwan experience).  $9.15 is a little on the pricy side though.  Service was good, seems like the owner knows how to run a restaurant.

Cool, can't wait to try it.  I vaguely remember a place in Taiwan called 'pork chop big king' in direct translation, wonder if it's the same business. 

ps9 said:
Cool, can't wait to try it.  I vaguely remember a place in Taiwan called 'pork chop big king' in direct translation, wonder if it's the same business. 

The Chinese name roughly translate to golden dollar/garden/circle is a pretty generic pork chop store name.  Kind of like how all Chinese BBQ name is some variation of Sam Woo, but they're not all the same.

Back