Retail Openings and Closures

irvinehomeowner said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Does anyone know about that bakery that opened in the old Pei Wei space in Oak Creek?
I went there the other night, it's called PDM Kitchen/Bakery and it's actually Pain Du Monde (like the one in Fashion Island).

They just opened last Thursday and it's a big space. Not sure how they will do in that space since two other restaurants (maybe 3, not sure what was there before Pei Wei) couldn't stay open (although they were open for years).

No cronuts to be found but the one thing I really like at PDM is the Almond Twist.

Looks like PDM kitchen re-branded just their Oak Creek location to "McVean's".  New concept for them, they no longer have breakfast and shying away from the Cafe.  But same owner.  That was fast, not sure how long this one will last.  Still missing Pei Wei -- District location is too crowded/far.

USCTrojanCPA said:
Looks like they closed the Subway in the Ralphs shopping center off Jamboree and Irvine Blvd very recently, but not like there's a lack of them in the rest of Irvine.  haha

As you can tell, way behind on the openings and closures thread... catching up.

Couldn't find it already mentioned here, but looks like the Subway in Culver Plaza (Irvine Center Drive and Culver) closed recently.  Not sure who took their place yet.

The Subway down Culver at Walnut (Walnut Plaza) has really good coupons:
http://www.irvineoffers.com/subway

Yep! said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Looks like they closed the Subway in the Ralphs shopping center off Jamboree and Irvine Blvd very recently, but not like there's a lack of them in the rest of Irvine.  haha

As you can tell, way behind on the openings and closures thread... catching up.

Couldn't find it already mentioned here, but looks like the Subway in Culver Plaza (Irvine Center Drive and Culver) closed recently.  Not sure who took their place yet.

The Subway down Culver at Walnut (Walnut Plaza) has really good coupons:
http://www.irvineoffers.com/subway
They actually reopened the one off Irvine Blvd/Jamboree (they did some tenant improvements I guess). 

The ownership of Shin Sushi & Steak in the Portola Center changed and the place SUCKS now.  Service was poor and they don't serve wagyu.  FAIL!

I believe Shin is now Jinbei, they served the nasty spring rolls at the OH grand opening.  As far as I know, it has been the same owner:  from Ayame to Shin to Jinbei.  They're always tweaking their restaurant, hence the drastic difference in the food.  We liked Ayame the best, especially when they had shabu shabu, Shin was ok but not worthy of repeated visits, and Jinbei, we're probably not gonna even try at all.  I say back to the drawing board for the owner. 

ps9 said:
I believe Shin is now Jinbei, they served the nasty spring rolls at the OH grand opening.  As far as I know, it has been the same owner:  from Ayame to Shin to Jinbei.  They're always tweaking their restaurant, hence the drastic difference in the food.  We liked Ayame the best, especially when they had shabu shabu, Shin was ok but not worthy of repeated visits, and Jinbei, we're probably not gonna even try at all.  I say back to the drawing board for the owner. 
Guess the owners don't understand the saying of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

ps9 said:

I agree about Ayame.  It was very good.  Apparently, they didn't install the proper fire equipment to serve shabu shabu and got shut down by the fire department.

Irvinecommuter said:
Passing the Walmart mall near the District and saw a sign for Seafood City.  I presume it's the same as the Seafood City Supermarket in Cerritos and elsewhere in LA.
http://www.seafoodcity.com/

That would be awesome .. hope it spawn more Filipino food places around it.  Don't really care much about Seafood City as you can get most of what they have at 99 Ranch, but I don't like having to drive to Cerritos if we are craving for Filipino food.

irvinehome0wner said:
Irvinecommuter said:
ps9 said:

I agree about Ayame.  It was very good.  Apparently, they didn't install the proper fire equipment to serve shabu shabu and got shut down by the fire department.

Speaking of orchard hills center, what's the scoop on ren?  I heard they changed chefs? They took away some of my fave menu items and some of the recipes taste different?  The cashier told me that the short Asian dude with little/no hair was the chef and he quit but then I saw him there hanging out front last week while I was eating at la Sirena. I kinda miss the old ren. It was good go-to Chinese on a random weeknight.

New owner and chef.  They changed the concept, which is too bad.

Irvinecommuter said:
irvinehome0wner said:
Irvinecommuter said:
ps9 said:

Speaking of orchard hills center, what's the scoop on ren?  I heard they changed chefs? They took away some of my fave menu items and some of the recipes taste different?  The cashier told me that the short Asian dude with little/no hair was the chef and he quit but then I saw him there hanging out front last week while I was eating at la Sirena. I kinda miss the old ren. It was good go-to Chinese on a random weeknight.

More to it than that:  the bald head short dude was part owner/chef.  Had a falling out with the other owner/partner.  Guess he found out his name is not on some contract/deed.  Bumped into him at Costco, he was pretty pissed at the whole thing.  The sole owner of Ren now is trying to find a chef to replace, heard he was trying out a lot of different head chefs, hence the current inconsistencies in food. 

I'm gonna give them another chance in a few months, I would still stay away for now.

ps9 said:
Irvinecommuter said:
irvinehome0wner said:
Irvinecommuter said:
ps9 said:

More to it than that:  the bald head short dude was part owner/chef.  Had a falling out with the other owner/partner.  Guess he found out his name is not on some contract/deed.  Bumped into him at Costco, he was pretty pissed at the whole thing.  The sole owner of Ren now is trying to find a chef to replace, heard he was trying out a lot of different head chefs, hence the current inconsistencies in food. 

I'm gonna give them another chance in a few months, I would still stay away for now.

Whoa...thanks for the details.  Just too bad.

Irvinecommuter said:
Passing the Walmart mall near the District and saw a sign for Seafood City.  I presume it's the same as the Seafood City Supermarket in Cerritos and elsewhere in LA.
http://www.seafoodcity.com/

seafoodcity_zps0dfce9e8.jpg

Hope they have a good food court.  Need some sisig and san miguel beer combo

Had no idea that Seafood City was the Filipino 99 Ranch until someone told me that the other day... should have made the connection based on they usually are connected to a Jollibee, Red Ribbon and ChowKing. But I don't think that space can fit those places there... maybe an Express version of those eateries.

I just want some fried chicken and other choices of Asian food.

irvinehomeowner said:
Had no idea that Seafood City was the Filipino 99 Ranch until someone told me that the other day... should have made the connection based on they usually are connected to a Jollibee, Red Ribbon and ChowKing. But I don't think that space can fit those places there... maybe an Express version of those eateries.

I just want some fried chicken and other choices of Asian food.

They would probably eventually take over the Staples location there :)  (Staples have been closing stores left and right).  I think there are also still lot of area in that complex that they can build those.    I think they will eventually put up the Jollibee, Red Ribbon and the Chowking as that would be the magnet to get into Seafood City after the food craving (not the other way around)

irvinehome0wner said:
Irvinecommuter said:
ps9 said:

Yeah, their food doesn't taste the same anymore....in a bad way.  :(

Looks like TIC should reach out to the community and do its best to lure a Trader Joes to Woodbridge Village. I know the Company doesn't do much to support local businesses, but this would be a great move to show its efforts in resurrecting the original example for a master planned community. More shops in the center to attract visitors and fewer offices where people won't stay around.

Back