Retail Openings and Closures

thanks for the heads up on Gen, we use to go there quite often for a quick sushi fix... so it's AYCE now?  that's a challenge I can't refuse..

we've been buying kalbi from Zion market recently...  the expensive one too, rolled up boneless version that you usually pay $30 plus at K-town..  too bad the weather been so cold, BBQ in 60 degree weather is no fun.. at least I got the mangrates to keep the sizzle.. otherwise my grill is too weak..

When I was at the plaza at Harvard & Main, I noticed that a new Pick Up Stix would be opening.  The sign said "Late 2012."  Hopefully that means "Soon!"

Pick Up Stix is also opening in the Quail Hill center next to Thai Bamboo.

Lot's of Asian places there... I wonder how Crystal Jade feels about TIC letting another Chinese food place open in their center.

Should be ok, I don't see (Chinese) families dining at pick up sticks, which crystal jade is for (though the food is just so so).  My grandma would probably slap me on the back of the head if i take her to pick up sticks :)

ps9 said:
Should be ok, I don't see (Chinese) families dining at pick up sticks, which crystal jade is for (though the food is just so so).  My grandma would probably slap me on the back of the head if i take her to pick up sticks :)

Pick Up Stix is terrible IMO...undercook just about everything and sauce is pretty terrible.  No..I don't need actual oranges in my Orange Chicken. 

But the people I see getting take out at Jade aren't usually Chinese. Stix is going to take all that business... although parking in that area of the center is always terrible.

I like Pick-Up Stix... it's interesting because years ago they went into expansion mode and opened up several locations... then they downsized and now it looks like they are expanding again.

What Irvine needs is a return of the steam table Chinese fast food (like Wokman).

The only thing i ever eat at pick up stix are the cream cheese wontons - those are very good.

irvinehomeowner said:
But the people I see getting take out at Jade aren't usually Chinese. Stix is going to take all that business... although parking in that area of the center is always terrible.

I like Pick-Up Stix... it's interesting because years ago they went into expansion mode and opened up several locations... then they downsized and now it looks like they are expanding again.

What Irvine needs is a return of the steam table Chinese fast food (like Wokman).

What about Sam Woo or Capital Seafood Express?  The Thai Spice on Jeffrey has a steam table for lunch.

Irvinecommuter said:
ps9 said:

Pick Up Stix is terrible IMO...undercook just about everything and sauce is pretty terrible.  No..I don't need actual oranges in my Orange Chicken. 

I totally agree. I was going to say something but didn't want to be a Debbie Downer. Pick Up Stix is pretty disgusting and I usually like that type of place. Their noodles are thick and very greasy & slippery. The sauces are way too rich. It's the kind of food that leaves you feeling "full" and a bit sick but "still hungry" if that makes sense.

I went to Crystal Jade for the first time fairly recently and was looking forward to it. I won't darken their doorway again. Very poor service and equally bad food. What a disappointment it was.

I will agree that Crystal Jade's service isn't the best... but we like the food and the staff knows us (and lets me change the channel to NBA on the bar TV).

Iho, you killjoy. I swear I was there trying to enjoy the one romantic date I get per every two years... when all of a sudden I heard NBA blaring on the TV by the bar. Thanks! Man.

The Walmart off of Von Karman and Alton is opening this Wed Jan 23rd... qwerty has such good timing.

I also saw that a Kickin' Crab took over the spaghetti place at Diamond Jamboree... not sure if it's open or not.

Finally got around to the Walmart on Von Karman. It's smaller than the Super Center in the Spectrum but it still has groceries. I'm surprised by the selection of food they have... seems like more than the Target grocery area.

It's nice to see the parking lot so full... for years that Von Karman center was a ghost town... they even had a food court center that closed a few years back (and has now been leveled into more parking). Hopefully Walmart will bring in more businesses because I think the surrounding strip mall stores are only 20% occupied. And if Tustin Legacy finally builds more homes, that will bring more customers. Maybe I should open a Donut/Fast Chinese Food place there.

ps9 said:
Ate at Macaroni grill last night, haven't been there for at least 3 years, probably won't go back for another 3, bad service, expensive, subpar food, only the bread is good
We saw that they brought the Italian Nachos back so we decided to give it a try after a long hiatus.

The wait to get a table was long so we thought that maybe their food was good again... but alas... not so much. The old Italian Nachos were better and like PS9, the service was sloooooow.

Won't be back there either.

ps9 said:
Tasty noodle is open next to CVS near Ranch 99 on Culver.  Stinky Tofu!

Tasty Noodles was pretty good! The eel noodles was delicious and the tofu was yum yum!!

I also finally tried Oriental Seafood Noodle house on Culver/Walnut.  Their deep fried squid was to die for!! ahh!!! Guess my diet is dead..

Seems like the eel noodles are getting good reviews, how was the stinkiness of the tofu?  I don't think my little one would like that :)

Can't believe you haven't gone to Oriental Noodle, their hu tieu is bland but decent and plus you can't get it anywhere else in irvine.  Try their Kung pao dishes, it has a more caramel roasty flavor over other Kung paos I had in irvine.  The squid is decent but they no longer have the "red" squid just the white ones.  The old Seafood cove #1 had the best squid, but have t gone back in years.

ps9 said:
Seems like the eel noodles are getting good reviews, how was the stinkiness of the tofu?  I don't think my little one would like that :)

Can't believe you haven't gone to Oriental Noodle, their hu tieu is bland but decent and plus you can't get it anywhere else in irvine.  Try their Kung pao dishes, it has a more caramel roasty flavor over other Kung paos I had in irvine.  The squid is decent but they no longer have the "red" squid just the white ones.  The old Seafood cove #1 had the best squid, but have t gone back in years.

I think we had the kung pao chicken as well.. wasn't really impressed with that.  But their prices were awesome.. 7 dishes for like $45.

Back