Repaving irvine streets

hm91

I'm not complaining, in fact I love the smooth streets, but I've never seen a city repave so many streets that were otherwise in good shape, actually seemingly almost-new condition (ex. Barranca).  Does anyone know more about this or the repaving schedule?

Tyler Durden said:
So they would rather waste money that could be used elsewhere than risk having to get by with less resources every year going forward.

The most ridiculous example of this is curb replacement.  They tore up perfectly good curbs on the lane dividers to put in new ones.

Tyler Durden said:
It's the unsaid rule of bureaucrats... and middle managers everywhere.  They spend budget in the year you it is received, because they risk having that budget cut if it is not all used in that year.  Of course, this condition could occur if the department was too efficient.  However, most finance folks would think that there were less needs than previously thought.

So they would rather waste money that could be used elsewhere than risk having to get by with less resources every year going forward.

While this may be true with funding from the general fund, most transportation maintenance/improvements are from other funding sources (gas tax, measure M 0.5% sales tax, transportation mitigation fee programs) which must specifically be used for transportation.

Also, many streets may look "new" to most people, but without maintenance (grind & overlay, slurry seal), pavement goes from "new" to "horrible" very quickly and the cost to repair "horrible" is significantly greater than the cost of maintenance.  It's like changing the oil of your car instead of replacing the engine block.

Back