Repairing Party Wall

JL-CG

Hi All,

KS Landscaping was doing some landscaping in our backyard planter this past week, and they advised us that the party wall (not sure if that's the right term) that separates our lot from the neighbor behind us is leaning towards our house. These homes were built in the late 1970's and are not part of an HOA.

We will review our deed to see whether that wall belongs to us, but we may also ask our neighbor if s/he'd agree to split the cost of repairing that wall.

With that background, does anyone have any good referrals for a contractor who can do that sort of work?

Tyler Durden said:
your contractor can do rebuild it for you if they can get the specs from the builder or HoA.

For example, my landscape contractor took out a party wall in my yard to excavate for our pool and spa. the side gate was too narrow to bring in a bobcat to dig, so they had to break down the wall to gain access to that part of the yard.

the contractor then needed to find out from the builder what type of bricks, what color and finish were used to rebuild it.

I would contact the HoA to find out, and then push the issue with them to get it rebuilt.  Use the words "imminent safety risk".  Obviously, we are a few hot days away from a decent quake - and when that happens, your leaning wall might be your pile of dust and brick fragments...and the force of it coming down will damage anything in its path in your yard (to be settled by HoA insurance and your homeowners' policy).

Usually the party line walls are "common" to the neighborhood - no one owns them.  Which is why you are not supposed to mount things on them or plant too close - you might jeopardize the structural integrity of the wall that you don't own.

Thanks! In my case, our home does not belong to an HOA. In addition, the home was built in 1979, so I'll need to do some digging to find out who built it (though I imagine that the city of Irvine will have copies of the plans?)

The landscape contractor did not indicate that they had the requisite expertise to repair/replace the wall for us, which is why I am trying to figure out what kind of contractor I'd need to get this repaired.

Back