Recommendations for landscaping companies

irvine buyer said:
@eyephone  This picture was taken this evening.  Keep in mind that a good portion of the building materials have been used already.  Your thoughts.

Report that to the City of Irvine. They are not supposed to do that, esp leave materials on the street and blocking the sidewalk. That's public property and not authorized. That is what my landscaper was telling me. It's a hazard to the neighbors and if there are kids riding bikes etc on the street they can get hurt.

Ya that's crazy, materials on the street like that is not ok.

And the port-a-potty on the HOA lawn... Yuck.

Just wanted to update this post with our landscaping experience.

Sean is almost done with our backyard (except for a tree in the corner) and we are really happy with him so far. There was a bit of a delay initially for submission of hoa plans (as his guy delayed the delivery of samples) but other than that working with him has been virtually hassle free (unlike a few other vendors that we have used). He sometimes takes a couple of days to respond but he always does.
He started when he said he would and was done in a week.

I would recommend him without reservation.

whome said:
Just wanted to update this post with our landscaping experience.

Sean is almost done with our backyard (except for a tree in the corner) and we are really happy with him so far. There was a bit of a delay initially for submission of hoa plans (as his guy delayed the delivery of samples) but other than that working with him has been virtually hassle free (unlike a few other vendors that we have used). He sometimes takes a couple of days to respond but he always does.
He started when he said he would and was done in a week.

I would recommend him without reservation.

I also had Sean & SavannaScapes work on my yard and I am very pleased with the results.

We have a very small yard and Sean provided great recommendations. He is very professional does things the right way. I like how he's not in a rush to finish the job and leave like the previous landscapers we used at our old house.

Excellent communication, experience with working with HOAs and is fairly quick. It took about 2 weeks to complete the hardscape which consisted of travertine pavers and a retaining false wall w/ stone veneers. It took another week to install the irrigation system, electrical system, and plants. The only left for him to do is to order a few more plants and touch up the stucco wall with paint near the ground level.

I'm pretty sure he's not the cheapest, but it's worth the peace of mind going with someone that is licensed and will hopefully be around afterwards if something happened to our yard (lifetime warranty on cracks in our pavers).

We paid $18k for everything.
http://m.imgur.com/ZyVa8tF,2e8TzDO

Sean@SavannaScapes
951-295-9687

scubasteve said:
I also had Sean & SavannaScapes work on my yard and I am very pleased with the results.

We have a very small yard and Sean provided great recommendations. He is very professional does things the right way. I like how he's not in a rush to finish the job and leave like the previous landscapers we used at our old house.

Excellent communication, experience with working with HOAs and is fairly quick. It took about 2 weeks to complete the hardscape which consisted of travertine pavers and a retaining false wall w/ stone veneers. It took another week to install the irrigation system, electrical system, and plants. The only left for him to do is to order a few more plants and touch up the stucco wall with paint near the ground level.

I'm pretty sure he's not the cheapest, but it's worth the peace of mind going with someone that is licensed and will hopefully be around afterwards if something happened to our yard (lifetime warranty on cracks in our pavers).

We paid $18k for everything.
http://m.imgur.com/ZyVa8tF,2e8TzDO

Sean@SavannaScapes
951-295-9687

Beautiful yard! I imagine much of the cost for yours was in the materials/tile? My yard is going to be about 3x the depth and I was hoping to have a bbq island, custom fountain, and shade structure built. I don't need the yard to be tiled but was hoping to keep it under $45K. Not sure that's going to be possible...

Also a question for those of you with completed backyards. How did you pay? Credit card, check, etc? Was it split into multiple payments? If so, how many? Thanks in advance!

Has anyone tried doing their landscaping themselves? If so, how complicated did you attempt? Did you try to lay pavers, tiles, build a bbq or even a pergola?

JadedOne said:
Also a question for those of you with completed backyards. How did you pay? Credit card, check, etc? Was it split into multiple payments? If so, how many? Thanks in advance!

Most won't take credit card, they don't want to have to pay credit card processing fee. It's typically check broken out into multiple payments, with the last payment at completion. The payment schedule will vary and depends on what you can negotiate with them.

We paid cash (5% discount). Paid 1K deposit before they started any work; 30% after hardscape; 30% after irrigation/electrical/gas line completed; 30% after plants were put in. Remaining fee to be paid when HOA approves

ilikepizza said:
Is it customary to have to wait until close of escrow to submit landscaping plans to HOA?

You should check with your HOA because for my HOA, they will not able to accept the plan until you own the home and have the HOA account setup. 

And yes, most people wait after COE before they submit the plans if they submit the plan at all. :)

ilikepizza said:
Is it customary to have to wait until close of escrow to submit landscaping plans to HOA?

Of course after you officially buy the house. The buyer might not qualify for the loan, walk away, or some other reason..

So it doesn't make sence for the Hoa to review the landscaping plan.

I have neighbors who closed escrow 18 months ago and haven't even started their landscaping... slackers.

aquabliss said:
I have neighbors who closed escrow 18 months ago and haven't even started their landscaping... slackers.

Aren't there HOA rules against this? Stonegate provides 9 months to submit plans and 12 months for completion. I assume your neighbors are getting fined?

Yep the deadline for landscape completion is 12 months.  I have no idea if they're getting fined or not, if the fines are compounding, etc.  I wonder this a lot though about violators and those who don't complete their landscaping on time.

Another neighbor across the street has been sitting with front yard landscaping halfway complete for 4 months, not sure what happened there either.

aquabliss said:
Yep the deadline for landscape completion is 12 months.  I have no idea if they're getting fined or not, if the fines are compounding, etc.  I wonder this a lot though about violators and those who don't complete their landscaping on time.

Another neighbor across the street has been sitting with front yard landscaping halfway complete for 4 months, not sure what happened there either.

Yea I don't know what's worse. Staring at weeds or staring at a half completed project with construction supplies littering the yard.  I'm assuming the ones that stop midway either fired their contractor or their contractor left them high and dry?

Back