Real Estate Economics and Personal Finance

2l8kygn.jpg

I am very impressed with the results of the poll as the data set seems to be very authentic. About 85% of the participants selected between $100,000 - $200,000 passive income, $2M to $4M net worth. I intentionally selected under $1M at $50,000 passive income in order to not skew the data. I agree with this poll and would have also selected that between $150,000 - $200,000 passive, $3M - $4M net worth would be right amount for an empty nester to have a comfortable retirement living in Orange County.

For those of your who participated in the poll. Are you guys currently building some type of passive income at this time whether it be in real estate investments, stock dividends, P2P lending, Structured Notes, Private Equity, or a Passive corporation? Your earned income will be taxed at the highest level around 50%, whereas your passive income will be taxed at the lowest level as you would avoid FICA taxes (15.3%) on your passive income. I believe that building your passive income and growing your net worth is more important than increasing your W2 income. I would like to ask the audience at age do you plan to retire or semi-retire? Do you see yourself retiring in Orange County or moving to a more tax friendly state for retirees?

Annual Passive Income : $100,000    Monthly Passive Income : $8333.33/month
Annual Passive Income : $125,000    Monthly Passive Income : $10,416.67/month
Annual Passive Income : $150,000    Monthly Passive Income : $12,500/month
Annual Passive Income : $175,000    Monthly Passive Income : $14,583.33/month
Annual Passive Income : $200,000    Monthly Passive Income : $16,666.67/month

Below you can see the capital needed to generate $30,000 of passive income. The safest passive income as we all know are CDs and money market accounts. Barclay's Online and GE Capital currently yield 1% APY. To generate $30,000 in a money market account in GE Capital (least risk), one would need $3,000,000 in capital. If we are looking to create $30,000 passive income through stock dividends that pay 3%, one would $1,000,000 in the stock market that generates an average dividend yield of 3%.

Careful selection of real estate investments (my favorite and preferred passive income system) is one asset class I know where I can generate 15% annual cash on cash return of $30,000 passive income with $200,000 capital investment. This chart is here to guide you on the capital needed to generate the desired passive income amount. 

348nlzc.jpg

Below is a Real Wealth Management Process Plan for building a passive income portfolio with SFRs in Johns Creek. The chart below only shows real estate wealth built on capital appreciation, not accounting for cash flow, depreciation tax benefits, and amortization.

Taking this one step further: Suppose you have acquired $1,987,998 in real estate assets which makes up 40% of your networth (Total networth of $4,969,995). Given an annualized average return of 10.06%, your real estate assets are now generating an annual passive income of $200,000, $16,666.67/month.

15yukcw.jpg

flying_birds_in_sky.jpg

One of things I love the most about TalkIrvine is that in a weird kind of way, I see pieces of my online personal diary since 2007. In John Maxwell's latest book "Intentional Living", he states that in order to live an "intentional life" you must figure our your "Why".

Three questions you need to ask yourself to figure out your "Why" are Questions 1) What do you Cry about? 2) What do you Sing About that makes you happy? 3) What do you Dream about everyday? Usually these three questions answered authentically will reveal your "Why?" It is very interesting to see my old post on Talk Irvine before 2012 like the "Lifestyle of an Orange County Millionaire" Back then, I think my values, heart, and significance were all tied to building financial wealth. I did not understand back then, that financial wealth alone is NOT REAL wealth. Your time is more valuable than financial wealth. You cannot store up time for the future or try to buy back your time. You can make a financial mistake and can recover from that mistake, but your cannot do that with time. After my dad passed I realized that Real Wealth also incorporates your Emotional Wealth (Your mind and heart), Spriritual Wealth, and Physical (Your health) Wealth in addition to your Financial Wealth.

Lifestyle of an Orange County Millionaire: Topic started by Panda July 26th, 2008
Source:http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,7028.0.html

How did you handle it when you father passed away? Topic started by Panda August 28th, 2012
Source:http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php?topic=3040.0

These are couple paragraphs of an email my father wrote to me about 10 days before he passed away from a sudden heart attack  on July 12th, 2012. My twins were only 2 years old at the time and we tried several times to make the time work to visit my dad in Korea to see the twins. He never got to see them except for skype videos, but i know he loved them very much. Even til this day I remember the nightmare that broke me. I was working out at Lifetime Fitness in Johns Creek when I got a sudden call from my cousin that i need to take the next flight out to Korea as my dad only has 24 hours to live.

To my son Panda,

.......... I have watched your business trials over the years. One very important thing is that you MUST listen to other people's advices even though they are no pleasant news or information. You should learn how to solve the present problems from other people's failures. You should not treat other people like that you will never meet them again. Have a good human relationship with other people like that you will anyone, either they are your enemy or helpers. You should build your own human links for your future. Try to think that you are in other people's shoes. Daddy made a lot of mistakes in human relationships so far with employees and church members including pastors. I feel very sorry about that but too late to return them back. Take actions after careful thoughts and once decided, act quickly.

Do not need to worry tomorrow! Today's worry is good enough for today.! Have a clear dream and saying with your mouth to confess everyday more than tens time that you wish to achieve in front of mirrors by watching your image. then it will be achieved as your wish sooner or later. You are too sensitive sometimes. Be generous and calm down like what you are praying to our Lord! Should have a peace in your soul and have a firm happy feeling and quite peace in your heart. Try to make your closed wife and friend, to be happy and trying to let have a peace in their mind and soul. So the book saying, try to be peaceful man for your self and for your close personal, wife! Try to encourage your wife and she will be the best supporter to you when you are in happy or in stress moments. Stress, worry and anxiety will make your health to be weaker and weaker. You should keep your organs free from these troubles for your good life and health! Pray for yourself and Haeyoon and for your business, at least one hour a day when you wake up. Ask God what you have to do today! What went wrong yesterday!
I know you are my good son and Charles too, Nina also! Love each other! Without this, you are not a real Christian! Leave all your trouble in business in front of Him! He will teach you how to solve all your problems...........

Love,
Daddy

The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears them;
he delivers them from all their troubles.
The LORD is close to the brokenhearted
and saves those who are crushed in spirit.
The righteous person may have many troubles,
but the LORD delivers him from them all;
He protects all his bones, not one of them will be broken.

Psalms 34:17-20

Panda, please print out that e-mail or save a copy to your Documents on your computer if you haven't already. I regret not copying the e-mails of a friend who passed away. I went to look at the messages years after death but my e-mail deleted them due to the age. You're smarter than me, though, so you probably already have.

Panda I know that was very personal but thanks for sharing.  In some way your fathers legacy will be helping others he never met by sharing his words of wisdom with us.

I believe you are a good, strong, thoughtful, and intelligent man - I'm sure your father was very proud of you and still is.

If I ever make it to Hotlanta it would be great to meet you.

rwm.jpg

Yes these numbers look super ambitious, but this is chart I believe that represents the top 1% of American wealth by age, income, and networth. At the peak of their wealth between the age of 50 - 55, ones net worth is 50x their income.

new_1_networth.jpg

rmw.jpg

These are some of the authors whom I admired and have influenced me since I was a young adult who are no longer alive today. It is very interesting for me to see at what age each one of them have passed away.

These authors have passed away:
Zig Ziglar                Age 86      (1926 - 2012)
Napoleon Hill          Age 87      (1883 - 1970)
Wayne Dyer            Age 75        (1940 - 2015)
Dale Carnegie        Age 66        (1888 - 1955)
Steven Covey        Age 79        (1932 - 2012)
Earl Nightingale      Age 68        (1921 - 1982)
Jim Rohn                Age 79        (1930 - 2009)
Dr. Thomas Stanley Age 71      (1944 - 2015) - Author of the Millionaire Next Door. Resided in Marietta, GA.
Frank Belteger          Age 93      (1888 - 1981)

Authors who are still alive today:

Robert Kiyosaki      Born April 8th, 1947              Age 69
John Maxwell          Born February 20th, 1947    Age 69
Brian Tracey          Age 72
David Ramsey        Age 55
T. Harv Eker          Age 61
Garrett Sutton      Age 62

Below is a blue print of a Wealth Management Process of building a $200,000 passive income porfolio. I believe in diversifying the passive income so that not all of it comes from one asset class. My favorite asset class to build wealth is real estate which is the reason why I recommend the largest asset location of real estate to be around 40% of your networth. In this model, you have four main categories of passive income: CDs and Money Market, Stock Dividends from both before and after tax accounts, Real Estate, and Alternative Income. Stock Dividend plays can include blue chips energy stocks like Exxon, Chevron, Conoco Phillips. AT&T is another great dividend stock that generates a 4.77% annual yield. Mortgage REITs are another interesting sector but comes with interest rate risks. Real Estate investments provide passive income from rents - operating costs.

You may be asking what the alternative passive income are? Just like in business school you have core classes you have to take like accounting, marketing, finanace, and HR. Alternative passive income is like an elective where you create an unconventional passive income that is outside of the core of real estate, stock dividends, and money market & CDs. Example of an alternaitve passive income can be: structured notes, Venture debt funding, P2P Lending etc.   

I read an interesting publication from the UBS Wealth Management. The article states that wealth isn't about having a certain amount of money. The majority of investors define wealth as having no financial constraints on what they do. When these millionaires were asked to assign a dollar amount to being wealthy, they said it takes $5 million. The security that comes with cash also plays a critical role. UBS has seens their affluent investors holding 20% in cash on average over the past three years. It appears that having a large cash cushion allows investors to be more aggressive with their own investments.

UBS interview:
Question #1: Do you consider yourself wealthy?
Wealth equals no financial constraints on activities.Most millionaires do not consider themselves to be wealthy (only 31% do). Having a $5 million in investable assets seems to be the key threshold, as 60% of these investors feel wealthy.

Question #2: What does it take to be considered wealthy?
No financial constraints on activities - 50%
Surpassing a certain asset threshold - 16%
Never having to work - 10%
Ensuring a comfortable lifestyle for the next family generation.

At $5 million networth, $200,000 annual passive income can be generated at annual yield of 4% which I believe is somewhat risk free. That number seems right to me as $200,000 passive income is a number where a household can have a very nice retirement without any financial constraints. Below you can see the blue print of a $200,000 passive income portfolio.

rwm.jpg

2vv3qsi.jpg

511%2BLNs6aFL._SX317_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Below are pages from the "Millionaire Next Door" author Dr. Thomas Stanley about his investment philosophy of purchasing your primary residence. He was my one of my heros and favorite authors, but unfortunately I never had an opportunity to meet him in person as it was one my goals moving to Atlanta. Dr. Thomas Stanley passed away last year in Marietta Georiga at the age of 71.

page 42:
The Money Pit:
When we make home buying choices, we look at several factors, mostly the carry costs of the home such as mortgage and taxes. I believe the greatest detriment to building wealth is our home/neighborhood environment. The type of home we live in and where we choose to live often takes the greatest toll on our financial wealth, and from it, all other perils flow.

page 43:
Contrary to popluar belief, however, most of the self made millionaires I have studied have one thing in common : They are able to build wealth precisely because they never lived in a home or neighborhood environment where their domestic overhead made it difficult for them to build wealth. In essence, they ran their households like a productive business. It is not only about how much your make (or generate sales) More important, it is how much you keep. And the ?keep? component begins and ends at your home address.

Buying an expensive home is a great way to fool people into thinking that you are wealthy. And it is likely that you will not feel out of place. Many people who live in pricey homes situated in tony neighborhoods are not millionaires. If you want to actually become rich one day, then enhance your chances by living in a modest home ? say, one valued at under $300,000. Most millionaires do not live in homes that have a market value of $1 million or more. About 90% live in homes valued under $1 million.

Page 46:
Once the market value begins to move up beyond the $500,000 level, wealth building productivity moves into unproductive range (i.e. less than 1.00). Buying a more expensive home is likely to decrease the odds of becoming financially independent. With the ?big house? strategy, not only would you face hefty mortgage payments. But ? also?. Property taxes, maintenance costs, HOA, insurance, and utlilties. Buying a bigger house isn?t an investment. Rather it is a lifestyle choice ? and it comes with a brutally large price tag.

To enhance your chances of becoming financially independent, you should live in a home and neighborhood environment that has high wealth-building productivity characteristics. You need to be surrounded by neighbors who have lower incomes than your household generates.

The millionaires profiled by Dr. Stanley who live in million dollar homes have an average net worth of $6.8M. For these penta-millionaires, you can see that only 15% of their net worth is the value of their home.

--- End quote ---

home.jpg

I am spending a lot of time on this housing affordability as it pertains to apartments. The good news is we don't need to worry about future Americans overbuying homes. Millennials are spending more on rental housing, have more debt and lower net worth at the same age compared to prior generations. 

A study was conducting interviewing 100 retired successful seventy year old executives conducted by German Bell, a noted behaviroal scientist. Dr Bell asked them what they would do differently if they could live their lives over again.

Their #1 response far ahead of any other response, was this: " I should have taken charge of my life and set my goals earlier: Life isn't practice, it's the REAL thing.

I share the rest of the responses in ranking order:
#2 I would have taken care of my health better
#3 I would have managed my finance better
#4 I would have spend more time with the family
#5 I would have spent more time on personal development
#6 I would have had more fun
#7 I would planned my career better.
#8 I would have given more back!

What do you guys think about these responses from these 70 year old executives who are retired and how does it relate to your life today?

I would have:

Not walked away from the Lord

Returned to walking with the Lord quicker

Spent more time with the family

Quit my job earlier

Not skipped out on getting mammograms

Not ever gave away my waterbed

Sold every fiberoptic stock I had in March 2000 and not bought any back (and avoided all wash sales)

Bought long term out of the money puts for mega cheap in March 2000

Kept my Tustin Ranch house that I sold in 2000 and rented it out for another few years and then sold it

Never put in those big trees on the slope in my last house because they were way too much maintenance

Thanks for sharing Ready2Downsize.

I really like your top 3. If you mind sharing what you mean by the first two. No, pressure if it is too personal. Thanks! 

1) Not walked away from the Lord

2) Returned to walking with the Lord quicker

3) Spent more time with the family

Ready2Downsize said:
I would have:

Not walked away from the Lord

Returned to walking with the Lord quicker

Spent more time with the family

Quit my job earlier

Not skipped out on getting mammograms

Not ever gave away my waterbed

Sold every fiberoptic stock I had in March 2000 and not bought any back (and avoided all wash sales)

Bought long term out of the money puts for mega cheap in March 2000

Kept my Tustin Ranch house that I sold in 2000 and rented it out for another few years and then sold it

Never put in those big trees on the slope in my last house because they were way too much maintenance

Panda said:
If you truly desire complete freedom, learn to take control of the only two things our creator gave us complete control over: our mind (thoughts) and our emotions (feelings).

This is rather offensive to anyone who has been faced with mental health issues (or has been exposed to others dealing with them).

How so? I am saying that we have a free right of what we put into our minds (thoughts) about and how we feel. You can decide to fill our heart with full of positive emotions or negative emotions. We can decide whether to fill our minds with positive or negative thoughts. This is our freedom to choose.

peppy said:
Panda said:
If you truly desire complete freedom, learn to take control of the only two things our creator gave us complete control over: our mind (thoughts) and our emotions (feelings).

This is rather offensive to anyone who has been faced with mental health issues (or has been exposed to others dealing with them).

Panda said:
How so? I am saying that we have a free right of what we put into our minds (thoughts) about and how we feel. You can decide to fill our heart with full of positive emotions or negative emotions. We can decide whether to fill our minds with positive or negative thoughts. This is our freedom to choose.

peppy said:
Panda said:
Peppy is saying people with Mental Health Issues have no control over their minds, I and lots of other in this TI can vouch for it  ::)

Irvine Dream said:
Panda said:

peppy said:
Panda said:
Peppy is saying people with Mental Health Issues have no control over their minds, I and lots of other in this TI can vouch for it  ::)

Exactly! Control over ones thoughts and emotions is not something that is always possible. We are at the behest of  the physiology inside of our brain. For example, someone that suffers from depression doesn't choose to fill their minds with negative thoughts.

Sorry guys. My intention for that emotion thread is to encourage the posters here to have joyful thoughts and feelings, nothing else. I moved that topic to different thread called "Thoughts are from your Mind as your Emotions are from your Heart. Joyful Living." as I thought it belong in a new thread of its own.

Link: http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,14562.msg293144/topicseen.html#msg293144

I will keep the posts on this thread only topcis related to Personal Finance. Peppy and Irvine Dreamer. I hope that your day was filled joy today. :)

Back