Rate the last movie you saw...

on netflix:

Last Night - 6/10
had potential to be something interesting but was just a window into a random couples life and their indiscretions...

rkp said:
on netflix:

Last Night - 6/10
had potential to be something interesting but was just a window into a random couples life and their indiscretions...

I stopped watching midway. Too slow.. on similar lines, a black and white movie: The facts of life. 7/10.
Watching a Mandarin movie : A beautiful life on Netflix. There was some technical glitch last night.. stopped midway. So far good.
There is a dialogue in the movie "you are from Hong Kong. You can't be serious" Any back stories on that, or was it just lost in translation?

On Netflix:

Shaolin - 7/10

This was better than True Legend story wise. Fighting wise, it was more "normal" kung-fu... no ridiculous flying (although there were some long jumps) or super iron dragon fist punch.

NFLX stock still over $100... I think we use it more than cable.

Oh good... I was wondering if I should watch Black Death (I like Sean Bean)... so I'm glad there is a rec here. And I can avoid the other two as well (although knowing me... I'll still watch them if there is nothing else to watch).

Descendents: Cried a river watching George Clooney pulling an Irvine dad.
I don't know, couldn't come to terms that the wife could cheat on some one so good looking.
Detoxing with Ocean's Eleven.

8/10.

Rebound: 4/10.
Every forty year old woman goes through a mid life crisis, gets bored playing suburban mommy, and then.. either gets a divorce or has an affair. Miraculously, she looks good, has a great career right after.. only in movies and books (Oh, some even have Harvard hotties as the new love interests!). In this movie, it's Zeta Jones. She finds a twenty five year old after her divorce.

Hugo: 8/10
Loved it! Older kids might be able to appreciate it better than the younger ones. I won't give away the plot here.

So I watched Black Death and I guess it wasn't my type of movie. Not many fight scenes and the storyline was actually a bit dull to me... something like the 13th Warrior (or Beowulf & Grendel or Beowulf) is actually better... I only give it 3/10.

Not to be denied my medieval fight fix... I watched IronClad... now that was more like it. Lots of gore but a better story and more action for me. Think of it like Magnificent 7 but with swords and axes... 6/10.

On Netflix:

War of The Arrows - 7/10

Korean "medieval" type movie in the genre of the Chinese ones I've been watching. Very good... as good as their "Manchurian" counterparts.

Almost like one of those "Sniper" action movies.

Also:

The Good, The Bad, The Weird - 6/10

Another Korean action movie but with humor... kind of like a Western.

Waiting for Superman 2/10.

Mostly nothing to relate to. Like our children live in land of fairy tales most of us live in our own bubble..competition for us is mostly who got all A+s as opposed plain As, or whose kid is already into Calculus/whose kid is taking it easy with Algebra. I am thinking.. I should make a documentary about Tiger Mothers in Northwood High..

Starlight East said:
To IHO: your reviews of Black Death and Ironclad make me believe that we have opposite taste, so for you a 3/10 from me is a recommendation.
Yeah... so strange... I forgot you also watched Ironclad and didn't like it but I did...  does that mean I'm going to enjoy "The Descendants"?

If I recall correctly from some IP Man posts... you don't really like martial arts movies... so maybe that's where we differ on genres... I like lots of action and you prefer more cerebral-type movies.

Starlight East said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Yeah... so strange... I forgot you also watched Ironclad and didn't like it but I did...  does that mean I'm going to enjoy "The Descendants"?

If I recall correctly from some IP Man posts... you don't really like martial arts movies... so maybe that's where we differ on genres... I like lots of action and you prefer more cerebral-type movies.

The action has to serve some purpose, solve a mystery. In Ironclad they fight all the time to capture a castle, but there is nothing interesting in the castle. What's the point? At the beginning of the movie, they should have shown some strange incidents and at the end they find something like a portal to another world in the castle.
Hehe... you are a fan of the plot-twist/Paranormal genre. Why does it have to serve a purpose or solve a mystery? At the heart of most stories... it's about conflict. In this case, it's the conflict between a king whose power has gone to his head and the few who still believe in country and the individual.

Ironclad was trying to be more historical than fictional (otherwise we would have seen dragons and wizards).

Not sure if you remember, but the whole purpose of holding Rochester Castle was it was a strategic position for the south east area of England. Paul Giamatti's character, King John, even explained it to Tiberius (the Dane leader) as to why they can't just go around it, especially if France does send reinforcments. It's in the genre of "last stand" type movies where a small group holds off the larger group (did you like 500300?). It's like "Magnificent 7" and "13 Samurai".

Not everything has to have large plot twists ("OMG... the Templar are really devil worshippers and need the castle to bring Satan to England!") or some supernatural aspect.
The Descendants could easily be improved by adding some plot twists. How about when Clooney goes to the other island and finds his wife living there? The one in the hospital is just a clone and it's all a conspiracy so he doesn't sell the land.
Or better yet, the island is the same island from Lost and he becomes the new "Desmond" and has to enter 4, 8, 15, 16, 23 and 42 into an old computer every 108 minutes or Hawaii will sink into the ocean?

I do agree... that many movies need more (did you watch Contagion? Now that needed some plot twists), but not all movies can be structured in that manner. Most fighting movies aren't full of of a ton of plot twists... they are mostly revenge tales ("You killed my master... I will avenge him!!").

EDIT: I just re-read my soliloquy and realized that the movie is 300... not 500... (although they probably wished they had 200 more men).

Kung Fu Mahjong - 5/10

Had some of the stars from Kung Fu Hustle... more of a comedy than an action movie and actually had a lot of mahjong-related strategy (if you're familiar with the game, you'll recognize it). Not sure if I want to watch 2 and 3 (yes, it had 2 sequels) but knowing me... I will.

If I watch enough of these foreign movies, I'll be fluent in 5 languages.

Safe - 7/10 - typical entertaining Statham movie, just action all the time. good way to kill an hour and a half.

5 year engagement - 6/10 - had some very funny moments but too slow and too long.

Oooo... I want to watch Safe/Transporter4/Crank3/TheMechanic2.

Your 2 movies sounds like a date night... one for you and one for her.

After a million years watched a rated 'R' movie in theaters.

The Raven 6/10.
I loved the story, and the inspector, but not so much Cusack. Too graphic for my taste.

Forks over knives 5/10.
Whole grains and whole foods, I get it. But how much? I know so many vegetarians who do the whole grain/whole food diet and still end up with cancer or heart issues.

Melancholia 2/10.
Sadistic pleasures of life: watching a movie that will not have a good beginning, middle or end.

War of the arrows 8/10.
I love historic movies! This one is done so well, there isn't too much grandeur, or attention to detail that deviates from the plot.

Heart burn 3/10.
Meryl Streep and Jack Nicholson don't always make good movies.

Haywire - 8/10

Gritty and a whole lot of butt kicking by Gina Carano, she beats everybody up in this movie.  Fun to watch, story a bit hard to follow but who cares.  In order of beat up, Dear John dude, 300 guy, Obi Wan Kenobi, and finally Mr. Desperado (not shown, but left to your imagination)

I saw Haywire too... pretty good... at least the story wasn't very straightforwards... lots of stars... even Gordon Gecko.

Back