Quartzite countertops

ilikepizza

I would love to have marble countertops for my kitchen, but was told it's a nightmare.  Especially for someone like me.  I wanted a natural stone so I have been looking into quartzite. I've been looking online but would rather hear what your opinions were.    I am interested to hear real life experiences and thoughts.  Thanks!

ilikepizza said:
I would love to have marble countertops for my kitchen, but was told it's a nightmare.  Especially for someone like me.  I wanted a natural stone so I have been looking into quartzite. I've been looking online but would rather hear what your opinions were.    I am interested to hear real life experiences and thoughts.  Thanks!

I've never used it but heard it is pretty easy maintenance. The only drawback is I was quoted almost 3 times more than most of quartz.

I've seen a few slabs of quartzite in the granite yard when I was hunting for granite and thought they look pretty amazing but some might be kind of busy.  If you pick the right color and pattern that mach you kitchen, it would definitely give a wow factor. 

They are very expensive and the stone yard usually don't have too many selections to choose from.  Quartzite probably a little easier to maintain than granite and definitely lot easier than marble. 

ilikepizza said:

I have it for outdoor patio area because I didn't really want to take care of it much. 

We got quartzite counters in the kitchen and love it!

In our old house we had the subway tiles, so moving to a new home, we were eager for granite.  But also wanted the look of marble.  Read alot about quartzite, and really happy we got it. 

Looks fantastic, the stone has a depth in areas where light penetrates into the stone in parts of it.  Seems easy to maintain. 

If you can do it, i would reccmd it, great look, and different than granite.  Hunt around in different slab yards for best piece and price, we went to 5 yards.  Builder was very helpful.

pm me for more details.

Thanks guys!  I have seen some slabs at the yards.  Luckily I still have a lot of time to decide... That is if I decide to change after close of escrow. If not, I have to decide within a couple of weeks. 

So far no etching or staining? Irvinedreamer and  Jmoney74?

Quartzite should be fine in terms of etching or staining, but make sure it is really a quartzite.
I was looking at a specific type - they told me it was quartzite - then I later found out it was actually dolomite (spelling?)...and unfortunately that did not work...did not pass the etching/staining test!

We are thinking about getting the Macubus Quartzite. I love the look of the lines, but not sure about the maintenance.

irvine99 said:
We are thinking about getting the Macubus Quartzite. I love the look of the lines, but not sure about the maintenance.

That's a pretty quartzite - works well with modern and contemporary looks. And I love light colored stones in general - it brightens up any space

We used quartzite for our island and it's been great so far. We went with super white (has a carrera marble look) in a honed finish. no etching or marks yet...time will tell but we are pleased.

Back