Purchasing a base model home (no carpet/tile upgrades)

pjs4x4

Is it better to purchase a base model home (standard carpet, flooring, no window covering) and wait a few years (5 years) to update those items later or just pay for the upgraded tile/carpet, etc. now and enjoy? I understand upgrading other items (optional tub, den/office etc.) but flooring seems like it would be less expensive if I do it later and through a different contractor.

How bad is the standard flooring for most builders?

My thinking is that it will be less expensive to just purchase the base model and have the kids mess up the standard flooring then once the kids get older, upgrade the flooring/carpet. What is everyone else's opinion?

Thanks in advance.

I actually did that with my first home with the flooring. I kept the standard carpet and tile for few years than replace with hardwood and better carpets etc.

But it's really easy to do these upgrades before you move in without all the furniture etc then years down the road. Renovation is no fun.  It's a big mess, lots of dust, need to move all the furniture around, and it will take a few days afterward to clean up. 

Also the standard carpet is really thin.  It's livable but I don't know if you will like it.  You can read more here:
http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,14280.msg287351.html#msg287351

Thanks for the feedback. It seems like going with standard carpet/flooring would be the best option for me and also help me out on the purchase price of the home.

It seems like even some interior changes to a condo/townhome need approval from the HOA, is flooring something I would need to get pre-approved by the HOA before I go forward? Im asking because I was thinking of adding barn doors to a den in a plan I was consdering. After reviewing the purchase documents, it seems like hanging something like barn doors to the structure of the home would need approval by the HOA. What is everyone else's experience?

Thanks again.

Going with standard flooring and changing it after would definitely save money overall.  The main reasons in my mind to do it through the builder are 1) convenience and 2) ability to finance.  If you don't need to move in right away, you can always change out the flooring before getting furniture moved in.  I would advise this also if you are doing crown molding or wainscoting, as that can damage flooring due to high ladders, equipment, scaffolding, etc.  This also saves time and money since they don't need to prep and protect the flooring that is going to be taken out anyway.  The ability to roll it into the loan, while costlier through the builder, would also appeal to some who could use more liquidity when buying a new house (don't we all?).  This is especially true with today's historically low interest rates.
Having said that, we did standard in most of our house, got our crown molding and wainscoting in, and then changed out the flooring.  More inconvenient but less expensive overall.

We remodeled our home upon move in, but it was an older home vs new. Something to consider is demo cost. With any remodeling there's the demo, materials, and labor (if not doing yourself).

Or consider carpet now through the builder as carpet is cheaper and easier to demo/remove than tile down the road.

Agree with JumpinJacks, demo cost on tile is expensive, carpet is cheap.  Seems logical that generally builder prices just above all in costs. 

Back