Public or Montessori Kindergarten

bones said:
irvinehusky said:
I would imagine you just enroll the kid in Kindergarten one year later and that's probably it.  If you push it and delay it for like 5 years to get an unfair advantage, then someone might come knocking on your door.  :p

That's the thing.  I don't know if it's that easy.  Language from IUSD's policy site:

"It is recognized that students do their best work in school when they are placed in a grade with other students of their same chronological age. (BOARD POLICY 5123: Promotion and Retention)"

"ii. Minimum age requirement for Kinder: A child shall be admitted to a Kindergarten at the beginning of a school year, or at any later time in the same year if the child will have his or her fifth (5th) birthday on or before September 1st of that school year. (EC Section 48000; Kindergarten Readiness Bill 1381)
iii. A child shall be admitted to the first (1st) grade of an elementary school during the first month of a school year if the child will have his or her sixth (6th) birthday on or before September 1st of that school year. (EC Section 48010)"

So sure, I can just not enroll my kid in Kindergarten but will my kid be forced to be in 1st grade the following year b/c of birthday?  The chart on page 3 of this link makes it sound like so (https://www.iusd.org/enrollment/documents/GradeLevelPlacementforALL2014-15.pdf).  It sounds like other IUSD parents have redshirted/delayed Kindergarten so maybe it's possible?  I don't personally know anyone who has in IUSD.  I have a call into IUSD's offices but you know, waiting a call back...

I think they'd be admitted to 1st if you wanted, but not forced into it.

I was a "ber" baby pushed ahead and was always younger than my classmates.
Having gone through that experience, I'm a fan of red-shirting.

ps9 said:
jmoney74 said:
WHat programs do people use for their kids after school?  I know there is CDC but is there a better alternative?

CDC is our choice, not ideal since we came from Montessori.  Teacher interactions are night/day difference.  You get what you paid for, but on the other hand, my kid enjoys CDC, and that's the most important right?  There are plenty private daycare/afterschool care setups in Irvine.  Check with the chinese schools along Jeffrey, I would NOT recommend the music school next to 24hr fitness at Culver plaza.  Heard bad stories of kids being left in vans unattended while the ever changing new driver goes to get other kids. 

In retrospect, we're glad we did Public/CDC combo instead of kinder at Montessori, besides the financial savings, we're closer to home, drop-off and pick up is much much easier.  And she's building bonds with neighborhood kids instead of being spoiled at home (we thought about going with single income and have one person stay home, but we're not good instructors).

I'm kinda echoing IHO today...

what's the CDC cost.. around 800 a month? 

RandomLetters said:

Funny how we have certain things in common no matter where we are from and certain things completely different.  I was one of "ber" baby and I always enjoyed it and was kind of proud of it.  In fact whenever I ran into someone younger than me in the same class I was envious of that person.  But here in US, I understand that most of them prefer to start late than start early.  If you start late be aware that your child will be the first one to drive and other kids will constantly ask for rides even when they know that the first year of license they are not supposed to :)

jmoney74 said:
ps9 said:
jmoney74 said:
WHat programs do people use for their kids after school?  I know there is CDC but is there a better alternative?

CDC is our choice, not ideal since we came from Montessori.  Teacher interactions are night/day difference.  You get what you paid for, but on the other hand, my kid enjoys CDC, and that's the most important right?  There are plenty private daycare/afterschool care setups in Irvine.  Check with the chinese schools along Jeffrey, I would NOT recommend the music school next to 24hr fitness at Culver plaza.  Heard bad stories of kids being left in vans unattended while the ever changing new driver goes to get other kids. 

In retrospect, we're glad we did Public/CDC combo instead of kinder at Montessori, besides the financial savings, we're closer to home, drop-off and pick up is much much easier.  And she's building bonds with neighborhood kids instead of being spoiled at home (we thought about going with single income and have one person stay home, but we're not good instructors).

Do you know where PP is zoned for K next year? Most people thought it would be the new Potty Springs school but I was told no, it's canyon view still.

bones said:
jmoney74 said:
ps9 said:
jmoney74 said:

Do you know where PP is zoned for K next year? Most people thought it would be the new Potty Springs school but I was told no, it's canyon view still.

Heritage K-8 is supposed to be done by next year (2016).  For now, it's still Canyon view.

@J$

about $600 a month for CDC, 5 days, they pick up after kinder, walk the kids over and close at 6pm.  You also have the option of dropping them off on holidays and breaks (if CDC is open). 

Irvine Dream said:
RandomLetters said:

Funny how we have certain things in common no matter where we are from and certain things completely different.  I was one of "ber" baby and I always enjoyed it and was kind of proud of it.  In fact whenever I ran into someone younger than me in the same class I was envious of that person.  But here in US, I understand that most of them prefer to start late than start early.  If you start late be aware that your child will be the first one to drive and other kids will constantly ask for rides even when they know that the first year of license they are not supposed to :)

Not necessarily, late is preferred than starting early.

Bones-
What month is your kid's birthday?  If your kids's bday is in the late fall I can see your reasoning somewhat.

My son has a classmate who is born in April of the previous year and was redshirted.  He clearly looks so much older than my son who was born in May - 13 months later.  The kid looks somewhat out of place imo.

abcd1234 said:
Bones-
What month is your kid's birthday?  If your kids's bday is in the late fall I can see your reasoning somewhat.

My son has a classmate who is born in April of the previous year and was redshirted.  He clearly looks so much older than my son who was born in May - 13 months later.  The kid looks somewhat out of place imo.

Late August bday. Current cutoff is sept 1st I think. Also don't want kid at canyon view (or wherever) for a year and then switch to new school the following year. 

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=edc&group=48001-49000&file=48010-48011

EDUCATION CODE
SECTION 48010-48011

48010.  (a) A child shall be admitted to the first grade of an
elementary school during the first month of a school year if the
child will have his or her sixth birthday on or before one of the
following dates
:
  (1) December 2 of the 2011-12 school year.
  (2) November 1 of the 2012-13 school year.
  (3) October 1 of the 2013-14 school year.
  (4) September 1 of the 2014-15 school year and each school year
thereafter.

(b) For good cause, the governing board of a school district may
permit a child of proper age to be admitted to a class after the
first school month of the school term.

48011.  A child who, consistent with Section 48000, has been
admitted to the kindergarten maintained by a private or a public
school in California or any other state, and who has completed one
school year therein, shall be admitted to the first grade of an
elementary school unless the parent or guardian of the child and the
school district agree that the child may continue in kindergarten for
not more than an additional school year.

A child who has been lawfully admitted to a public school
kindergarten or a private school kindergarten in California and who
is judged by the administration of the school district, in accordance
with rules and regulations adopted by the State Board of Education,
to be ready for first-grade work may be admitted to the first grade
at the discretion of the school administration of the district and
with the consent of the child's parent or guardian if the child is at
least five years of age. When a child has been legally enrolled in a
public school of another district within or out of the state, he or
she may be admitted to school and placed in the grade of enrollment
in the district of former attendance, at the discretion of the school
administration of the district entered.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So according to CA Education Code 48011, little 'bones' can enroll in kinder at age 6 if he or she gets a year of kinder previous year and gets held back...hmmm I wouldn't do this.  Note to self: do not have August babies.

headache.  hoping the IUSD chick calls me back.  also hoping someone on TI has done this before recently and can chime in :)

Unfortunately, I think you (and I) are in the minority in this area (city)?  I think most parents here whose kids' birthdays are after 9/1 or whatever would be arguing to get in earlier, like they were able to before. 

Delay Ivy league by one year, when Suzy next door is already in, but my Johnny, born just one week later, has another year to go, and that big mouth neighbor keeps bragging about it?  Not a chance.  :p

But seriously, I hope you get what you want for your kid(s).

irvinehomeowner said:
Might be easier to get into an Ivy on an athletic scholarship... esp if you are bigger than the other kids. :)

Do they offer sumo scholarship at Ivy? :)

Yup, might help.  :p

images

irvinehomeowner said:
Might be easier to get into an Ivy on an athletic scholarship... esp if you are bigger than the other kids. :)

bones said:
ps9 said:
bones said:
Does anyone know what the process is to redshirt a kindergartener to start school one year later in IUSD even though they make the K cutoff?

Interesting so you want to hold your kid back?  Why would you do that?  I would think public schools base everything on age/DOB so I don't believe this will be an option.  Unless your kid is not ready, but I highly doubt that :)

Kid doesn't read at a 3rd grade level and can't solve 1 step algebra problems. Clearly not ready for K!!!  :-\

My friends had the same situation and was told by the principal at IUSD school that it was not possible to hold back their kid regardless how close the cutoff date was to the kid's birth date.  TUSD allows the flexibility. 

Harajuku said:
bones said:
ps9 said:
bones said:
Does anyone know what the process is to redshirt a kindergartener to start school one year later in IUSD even though they make the K cutoff?

Interesting so you want to hold your kid back?  Why would you do that?  I would think public schools base everything on age/DOB so I don't believe this will be an option.  Unless your kid is not ready, but I highly doubt that :)

Kid doesn't read at a 3rd grade level and can't solve 1 step algebra problems. Clearly not ready for K!!!  :-\

My friends had the same situation and was told by the principal at IUSD school that it was not possible to hold back their kid regardless how close the cutoff date was to the kid's birth date.  TUSD allows the flexibility. 

Time to move next to qwerty. Where them StanPac floorplans at?

This message is for bones... Have you heard from IUSD... I am in the same situation as you regarding red shirting... Any help will be appreciated. If not, I will have to look at private options.... we just moved to the area and my daughter hasn't taken well to the transition.

Back