Powder Bathroom

Chairman

My powder bathroom only has a sink and toilet. Since last Friday there has been a pungent odor emanating from the ceiling fan. I removed the fan and confirmed this fishy type smell was coming from somewhere inside the ceiling. I had a water damage and mold company come out and do a thermal reading but nothing came up. While they were here the smell was not there. Of course when they left and later in the evening the smell is super strong again. I am at a loss and am thinking the home builder will have to tear out the ceiling in order to see what is causing this smell. Has anyone of you experienced this in your home? Any ideas? Thanks!

Chairman said:
My powder bathroom only has a sink and toilet. Since last Friday there has been a pungent odor emanating from the ceiling fan. I removed the fan and confirmed this fishy type smell was coming from somewhere inside the ceiling. I had a water damage and mold company come out and do a thermal reading but nothing came up. While they were here the smell was not there. Of course when they left and later in the evening the smell is super strong again. I am at a loss and am thinking the home builder will have to tear out the ceiling in order to see what is causing this smell. Has anyone of you experienced this in your home? Any ideas? Thanks!

I think you bought a "lemon" house. jkjk

bones said:
Dead animal?

That is what we were guessing. Although it was warmer yesterday and the smell for some reason was not there. Then later that night it comes back with a vengeance.

Do you have any evidence of rats (droppings, etc.) in your attic and possibly on any of your fan covers?  If so, then that would be the most likely scenario.  Or perhaps a bird got into your attic and died?  I assume your powder room is on the first floor but when I got my place I noticed old droppings on the fan covers on both floors.

irvinehusky said:
Do you have any evidence of rats (droppings, etc.) in your attic and possibly on any of your fan covers?  If so, then that would be the most likely scenario.  Or perhaps a bird got into your attic and died?  I assume your powder room is on the first floor but when I got my place I noticed old droppings on the fan covers on both floors.

No droppings anywhere. Everything looks normal based on inspection. We don't even know if it is a dead rodent. Pure speculation. It could be a water leak too but I was told if it was a leak you would see discoloration in the wall. Maybe the leak/mold is hitting the outside stucco wall so you can't see it yet.

I found two dead baby mice in my garage wall when they ripped it out to fix a bow in the wall. There were droppings everywhere. There however was no smell.

Fishy type smell? Super strong in the evening?

How close are you to your neighbors? :)

Based on your story, it's not constant so that's going to be hard to track. is their attic access above your powder room?

At least you can rule out it's not a breaker in your fuse box. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
Fishy type smell? Super strong in the evening?

How close are you to your neighbors? :)

I'm glad you said it. That's exactly what I was thinking... it's dinner time... but I know if I said it, I would be branded raaaaaacist. Wait. You're Austrian. You racist.

rkp said:
IHO is a Korean teenager living in PP.  #GetItRight

A Korean teenager? What?!? In my imagination, he's a cute, exotic, 40-something Island Boy. Or Arnold Schwarzenegger. Whichever. But heck. You might just be right. After all, more than half of what he says is a joke. So, who knows anymore. I think Iho has said he has a son. So maybe "Iho" is his son, pretending to be his father. That's happened before on TI. It's not totally out of the realm of possibilities. If you guys don't hear from me on TI anymore it's because I am stuck in bed with depression after finding out he's a 13 year old Korean child.

SoCal said:
rkp said:

A Korean teenager? What?!? In my imagination, he's a cute, exotic, 40-something Island Boy. Or Arnold Schwarzenegger. Whichever. But heck. You might just be right. After all, more than half of what he says is a joke. So, who knows anymore. I think Iho has said he has a son. So maybe "Iho" is his son, pretending to be his father. That's happened before on TI. It's not totally out of the realm of possibilities. If you guys don't hear from me on TI anymore it's because I am stuck in bed with depression after finding out he's a 13 year old Korean child.

I felt pretty dumb when I finally found out graph was a 14 year old girl.

Happiness said:

Just want to make sure... you know the 14 year old girl named Kaitlyn was just a joke, right?  :)

SoCal said:
Happiness said:

Just want to make sure... you know the 14 year old girl named Kaitlyn was just a joke, right?  :)

That would explain why Kaitlin had such a sophisticated mastery of statistics and was so cantankerous for a teenager.

I read online about breaker boxes and wires crossing or burning the box and creating a fishy type smell. Would that be a result of anything plugged into an outlet or any kind of power being drawn nearby? The powder bath is on the 1st floor so the attic on the second floor does not have access to it.

I also had strange odor at the down stair power room and the launch area when we first move in.  It's a stuffy smell reminds me of  guy's locker room, it's not very strong and it's not like some is dead.  The odor is there all the time and it's not just occur at certain time of the day.

We look into several possible sources  including dead animal,  the glue or caulking from the renovation, the toilet was not install correctly and the sewer smell creep up, gas leak, mold and water leak, and the insulation material.  But we can not find anything and the smell eventually go away about 4 month later.

@ Chairman, looks like the source of my odor probably different then yours but please Keep us updated and good luck with the issue. 

Thanks for sharing. I've been in my home almost a year now and it just started to show up last Friday. Really weird. The smell is really strong when I keep the door and windows closed. Something is going on and I am going to figure it out. I will keep you posted.

SoCal said:
rkp said:

You watch too many Catfish :)

Inc reminded me that the in our upstairs master toilet there was a sewer smell. Turned out the toilet seal broke (it happens from time to time) and they replaced and reseated it and it was gone.

Yeah, my toilet seal looks good. I also flushed the sink with lots of water to make sure the p-trap had water in it to create the seal. Smell still persists. :p

Back