Portola Springs Neighborhood 5A

I don't think 17967 will be near Elderberry in price considering the even better location. It's also going to come later, the whole ground is prepped but no sign of foundations work.

They've also started limiting the amount of view lots in 17967, the whole side facing the elementary school will only have glass walls at the cul-de-sac ends. The houses will have the standard 6ft+ concrete wall. Not too sure why.

Lot premium in Elderberry is significant, $15K adder between a 3600sqft lot (houses backing other Elderberry homes) and a 4100sqft lot (houses backing Legado II). It gives an idea of the premium for the very big 6000ft+ lots.

Does anyone know who Elderberry is doing? Its been almost 2 months since their opening and they are still in phase 1 and 2. Last I checked they only had 6-7 homes sold.

Hopefully they will drop the price. Lol in my dreams. Any reason these houses are selling quickly like rest of the communities besides the fact its in PS?

To be honest, I think Portola Springs 5A hasn't been marketed like Irvine Pacific has with the Reserve. On top of that, the first phase homes haven't been completed yet so people may have a hard time imagining how the community is going to feel. But once those are built and the trees start maturing along that uphill road to the community, Elderberry sales may start to gain some speed. BTW, Irvine Pacific tends to complete the first phase of homes early on before their grand openings and try to have them sold prior so it creates a sense of "urgency" since they seem "popular". KB is just building the phase 1 and 2 homes now as they sell them.

roya1f1ush said:
To be honest, I think Portola Springs 5A hasn't been marketed like Irvine Pacific has with the Reserve. On top of that, the first phase homes haven't been completed yet so people may have a hard time imagining how the community is going to feel. But once those are built and the trees start maturing along that uphill road to the community, Elderberry sales may start to gain some speed. BTW, Irvine Pacific tends to complete the first phase of homes early on before their grand openings and try to have them sold prior so it creates a sense of "urgency" since they seem "popular". KB is just building the phase 1 and 2 homes now as they sell them.

I believe people, myself included are waiting to see what tract 17967 is going to be priced at and how the floorplans are going to be built out.  That's the tract with the majority of the view lots.  The Elderberry lots are incredibly small compared to the size of the house IMO, only lot 72 is a decent size.  With the way Elderberry is selling I don't think they are going to buy more land, that land would have included larger lots and some view lots towards the school.

akkord said:
roya1f1ush said:

I believe people, myself included are waiting to see what tract 17967 is going to be priced at and how the floorplans are going to be built out.  That's the tract with the majority of the view lots.  The Elderberry lots are incredibly small compared to the size of the house IMO, only lot 72 is a decent size.  With the way Elderberry is selling I don't think they are going to buy more land, that land would have included larger lots and some view lots towards the school.

I would have a problem with my lot size being the biggest among a neighborhood with tiny lots.  When all these homes are cramped together on tiny lots, the general feel of the neighborhood feels bad regardless of how big your lot is.  I realize most Irvine is on tiny lots but if the lot is tiny even for irvine standards, Id rather take that premium you would pay for a bigger lot and go to a neighborhood where houses are a bit more spread out.  Thats just my opinion.

Agreed, I wouldn't want lot 72 either, just that it's the biggest one in the neighborhood if someone really wants to buy here and likes the floorplans.  Tract 17967 should be more spread out based on what I've seen for their view lots.

I do like the 10 foot ceilings in Elderberry.  Comparing to The Reserve at OH3, do those at the reserve all have 10 ft ceilings or only the bigger models?

hello said:
akkord said:
roya1f1ush said:

I would have a problem with my lot size being the biggest among a neighborhood with tiny lots.  When all these homes are cramped together on tiny lots, the general feel of the neighborhood feels bad regardless of how big your lot is.  I realize most Irvine is on tiny lots but if the lot is tiny even for irvine standards, Id rather take that premium you would pay for a bigger lot and go to a neighborhood where houses are a bit more spread out.  Thats just my opinion.

Here is the point: the lots are incredibly small.

The Elderberry's yard seems smaller than Helena's condo's yard

akkord said:
roya1f1ush said:

gld2 said:

akkord said:
roya1f1ush said:

Actually, Elderberry's yards are not that much different from the recent new homes' backyards in other communities within Irvine. I believe the lots with smaller yards on that Geyser street were on average 10 feet at the shortest distance while the other lots across the street were averaging 15-20 feet. This was absolutely the similar case as Orchard Hills' beloved Strada. In a resale perspective, when you sell your home, buyers will never really pay too much attention (or even have knowledge) of the other lots having larger/smaller backyards -- they just really compare you to the other homes they're looking at so that doesn't really bother me. As for that other unknown tract, the fact that they will have view lots and larger square footage tells me that there will be a hefty premium with higher price tags, hence helping out comps in the area for single family residences (Elderberry). Just my two cents. ;)

As for the Reserve OH3 ceiling heights, they're mentioned to have 10' ceilings "at select locations" inside the larger tracts, Como and Terra and Verdi, but not on the Vivo and Lago pages.
10' ceilings definitely make a difference!

When a SFR's yard is smaller than a condo's,  there must be somewhere is wrong. 

roya1f1ush said:
gld2 said:

akkord said:
roya1f1ush said:

Actually, Elderberry's yards are not that much different from the recent new homes' backyards in other communities within Irvine. I believe the lots with smaller yards on that Geyser street were on average 10 feet at the shortest distance while the other lots across the street were averaging 15-20 feet. This was absolutely the similar case as Orchard Hills' beloved Strada. In a resale perspective, when you sell your home, buyers will never really pay too much attention (or even have knowledge) of the other lots having larger/smaller backyards -- they just really compare you to the other homes they're looking at so that doesn't really bother me. As for that other unknown tract, the fact that they will have view lots and larger square footage tells me that there will be a hefty premium with higher price tags, hence helping out comps in the area for single family residences (Elderberry). Just my two cents. ;)

As for the Reserve OH3 ceiling heights, they're mentioned to have 10' ceilings "at select locations" inside the larger tracts, Como and Terra and Verdi, but not on the Vivo and Lago pages.

I love how OH3 is looking too but when I looked at the yard depth on those lots, seemed pretty cramped too. Irvine new construction isn't giving us too much upside wherever we go.  :-\
At least we can look to paying premiums for some view lots at Elderberry or the Reserve...lol

gld2 said:

roya1f1ush said:
gld2 said:

akkord said:
roya1f1ush said:

Let's not forget Capella were single family residences that sold out with 5' backyards!
There was something definitely sad about those.

gld2 said:

roya1f1ush said:
gld2 said:

akkord said:
roya1f1ush said:

Capella had a hard time to sell its houses.

roya1f1ush said:
Let's not forget Capella were single family residences that sold out with 5' backyards!
There was something definitely sad about those.

gld2 said:

roya1f1ush said:
gld2 said:

akkord said:
roya1f1ush said:

roya1f1ush said:
In a resale perspective, when you sell your home, buyers will never really pay too much attention (or even have knowledge) of the other lots having larger/smaller backyards -- they just really compare you to the other homes they're looking at so that doesn't really bother me.

If resale and possible profit is a major concern for you, you should be looking elsewhere than Portola Springs. TIC sells houses in a hi/lo strategy (Northpark/West Irvine, Quail Hill/Oak Creek, Woodbury/Portola Springs, etc). Because Portola Springs is in the lo category (aka value village), resale homes will always struggle because TIC is constantly building low priced new homes there.

it is very interesting. The price differences for Northpark/West Irvine are minimum now,  but not Quail hill /Oak creek

Irvine_is_awesome said:
I guess if resale value is low. you are buying a lower price point as well. So net profit shouldn't vary that much on hi/lo homes.

Agreed.
Would it be also interesting to see how the 5A community does since they're high up on a hill that overlooks the coastline? PS may be a "value" area but that part specifically felt a bit different than the older parts.

Just to clarify, there are hoods that are not TIC and thus not inherently part of their "strategy" other than counter selling.

West Irvine, Villages of Columbus are examples of non-TIC projects.

gld2 said:
it is very interesting. The price differences for Northpark/West Irvine are minimum now,  but not Quail hill /Oak creek
That's because West Irvine has been built out for over a decade. TIC will be building lower priced new homes in PS, thus undercutting resales, for many, many, many years to come. New home price in any neighborhood is always a ceiling price for resales.

Back