Portola Springs Community Park

lnc

The TIC is planning to develop a 32.5 acre community park at Portola Springs.  The proposed park site is located at eastern end of Portola Pkwy where the Portola Pkwy meets 241.

At one point this lot was planned for homes but now a public park is planned.  This park is located at the most north-east corner of Irvine boundary and probably will mainly utilized by Portola Springs residents. 

Attachments

• PS map.jpg
    PS map.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 564
  • PS Community Park.jpg
    PS Community Park.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 576
Didn't someone say it was some old Indian site hence no house should be built there?

Looking at the map, some of PS5 will have really nice views with the elevation...

AW said:
Didn't someone say it was some old Indian site hence no house should be built there?

I remember a Native American archaeological site located around this area but not sure if it's a burial site. 

However there's an area west of the community park (around where the label "N4B" is at in the first map) call Tomato Springs which has historic significance and it will be a natural reserve, no home will be build there.

One of the street in PS is also called Tomato Springs to pay tribute to the site.  Tomato Springs was discovered during an expedition called "Portola Expedition" by the first European in California where they discover a natural spring and wild tomatoes, hence the name Tomato Springs.  TIC later name this development area Portola Springs.
http://ochistorical.blogspot.com/2008/11/tomato-springs-jim-lorson-rsm-pendleton.html

irvine buyer said:
irvinehomeowner said:
I'll believe when I see it.

They can always just make it homes again.

Work has already begun on the park.

Agree I saw that the grading been going on for at least a few months already. Some of the perimeter walls has been erected and it got beautiful veneer stones put up on it. At first I thought it was more housing or retail spaces until INC. posted info about the future park. Pleasant surprise.

Heard from Northwood Community Park that Portola Springs Community Park  will start to open 2017

I just realized that in this map Dr. Travel posted back in March shown the PS Community Park and list of amenities.  The city approved the park plan back in August 2015.
http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,13771.msg287224.html#msg287224

index.php

I had been meaning to post, this park is really quite old news.  The downfall of PS is how disintegrated the various villages are to where this park isn't an easy walk within any of the enclave's.  If TIC put retail in and had better integration (somewhat hard to do given some of the geographic limitations and the very sprawling string of what PS entails), I think PS would have been more successful. 

That said, to some extent, part of what I have always liked about PS is you can get a more "remote" feel depending on where in PS you are looking (while still be relatively close to the main city, etc.). There are some homes where you can actually get decent views of the stars, etc, and I do think the gated community will be pretty nice. One day we'll all realize PS is pretty close to what I presume will only further become the "downtown" of Irvine (i.e., the general Spectrum Vicinity). 

Just a stupid and insignificant comment here... I noticed that Portola Springs in general, does not offer that many basketball court.  I only saw a half court in the PS 1, one full court in Portola Place, a half court in PS 3 and none in this community park.  Also there were no baseball field before this community park plan. 

May be it has to do something with Great Park sport center but Stonegate, Woodbury, Cypress are all closer to PS in distance and they all have multiple basketball and/or baseball fields.  May it's the topology or current trend. May be the builders want baseball/basketball crowds out of the neighborhoods as much as possible???  Again not a big deal but was wondering...

Irvine Seeker said:
Just a stupid and insignificant comment here... I noticed that Portola Springs in general, does not offer that many basketball court.  I only saw a half court in the PS 1, one full court in Portola Place, a half court in PS 3 and none in this community park.  Also there were no baseball field before this community park plan. 

May be it has to do something with Great Park sport center but Stonegate, Woodbury, Cypress are all closer to PS in distance and they all have multiple basketball and/or baseball fields.  May it's the topology or current trend. May be the builders want baseball/basketball crowds out of the neighborhoods as much as possible???  Again not a big deal but was wondering...

Yeah.. it's nice  not having all that stuff.  Just go to other parks if you want baseball or full court Basketball.  I definitely don't want full court bball in my hood. 

I noticed that too. No basketball to keep the riff raffs out I guess.
Even in the original GP sports complex, tons of space to include multiple soccer fields, baseball diamonds, tennis courts, but zero basketball.  Not sure if they changed it since

Back