Portola Spring-Trash Smell

fishfinder333

Reading from another thread it was reported that in PS you can smell trash from landfill in the early mornings. Can anyone confirm you can smell trash in the mornings?

I was thinking about buying in the area and this would be a deal breaker for me.

fishfinder333 said:
Reading from another thread it was reported that in PS you can smell trash from landfill in the early mornings. Can anyone confirm you can smell trash in the mornings?

I was thinking about buying in the area and this would be a deal breaker for me.
I've been up there more times then I can count at very times with the wind blowing every posiible way and never smelled anything from the landfill. 

USCTrojanCPA said:
fishfinder333 said:

I've been up there more times then I can count at very times with the wind blowing every posiible way and never smelled anything from the landfill.

Were your visits early in the mornings? It was said the smell is early in the mornings.

fishfinder333 said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
fishfinder333 said:

Were your visits early in the mornings? It was said the smell is early in the mornings.
Yeah, I've been there various hours including as early as 8:00am (because I wanted to check out the traffic on Portola Pkwy and the toll road).

The landfill actually has guest tours available to the public (from what I was told by two Irvine Pac sales people) so you might want to take advantage of that and ask your questions to the people who run the landfill. 

USCTrojanCPA said:
fishfinder333 said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
fishfinder333 said:

Yeah, I've been there various hours including as early as 8:00am (because I wanted to check out the traffic on Portola Pkwy and the toll road).

my cousin lives there and i've visited many times... i've never smelled anything and she has never mentioned it.

I've been there as well and never smelled anything. I guess it was a litterconcerning to hear someone say they can smell trash. I think if this was the case you would see more complaints about the smell. The fact that you don't is a good sign.

on the weather radar at weather underground website, you can see some 'cloud' hanging over the damp site often.

fishfinder333 said:
I've been there as well and never smelled anything. I guess it was a litterconcerning to hear someone say they can smell trash. I think if this was the case you would see more complaints about the smell. The fact that you don't is a good sign.

That doesn't mean there could be future smells :)

This is straight from wikipedia.

The Frank R. Bowerman Landfill is one of the largest landfills in California, (9th largest in the US) containing an estimated 31 million tons of waste. It is the site for the world?s first commercial landfill-gas to liquid natural gas project, the Bowerman Landfill Project, constructed by Prometheus Energy, an LNG fuel company based in Redmond, Washington, and Montauk Energy, a capital investment firm.

The landfill covers over 700 acres of land, the county is proposing to expand operation until 2053... and because of the expansion the landfill will grow to approximately 1350ft.  :-\

Who cares about trash smell?

Irvine has some of the dirtiest air in the country. There aren't many places in SoCal that have an acceptable clean air index. We all live here knowing that over the long term, we are cutting our lifespan by at least 4-5 years.  We do it for the babes, beaches, and the sun!

Well, all kidding aside, why would you buy in Portola or Stonegate if you knew about the landfill expansion.

Also, if they are going to expand, which routes are the trucks going to take? Up and down Sand Canyon?

I smelled it once too but I think it's from the huge trash bins that are out during the construction of Casero,las ventanas?  I don't smell it regularly at any time of the day.

Back