Pls help to choose: Orchard Hills Grove or NWP or NWII?

MovingtoIrvine said:
Really appreciate sharing your experience with us Paris and NYC to OC! That's very helpful.

Looking back we've always lived in older/smaller houses located in a very good school district even before we had kids, hoping that the houses will hold values more. They did, I have to admit that, especially during the housing bubble period, but after all these years, living in a new house is definitely very attractive to us. :)

For two kids 2 years apart, not same gender, at that ages you think they would want their own bathrooms? Now they happily share one and don't even want to go to different ones.

nyc to oc said:
MovingtoIrvine said:
Really appreciate sharing your experience with us Paris and NYC to OC! That's very helpful.

Looking back we've always lived in older/smaller houses located in a very good school district even before we had kids, hoping that the houses will hold values more. They did, I have to admit that, especially during the housing bubble period, but after all these years, living in a new house is definitely very attractive to us. :)

For two kids 2 years apart, not same gender, at that ages you think they would want their own bathrooms? Now they happily share one and don't even want to go to different ones.

My kids are also different gender, and 2 years apart, and seem to be sharing just fine right now (we haven't moved into the new OH house yet). All the OH houses do have ensuite baths, though we weren't specifically looking for that. Maybe I will change my tune when my daughter becomes a teenager. Keep in mind, my perspective on bathrooms may be colored by where I am from (NYC) where even master bedrooms often do not have en suite baths.

I'm sure you will enjoy the new house here comparing to NYC! :)

I would go for OH Groves in your budget. I like NW II a lot but wouldn't want to own the top end there. Don't rule out BP though

Irvine Fanatic said:
OH groves is my vote. New construction, better layout, so far it feels a little more exclusive. and from what I've heard, Hicks Canyon, OH Middle school, and Beckman are respectable schools. Probably not as highly rated as Irvine schools but perhaps that might mean less competition, thus less stress, and higher chance that your kid will rank in the upper percentiles...

OH has great schools:
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/students-603749-school-orchard.htmlhttp://www.ocregister.com/articles/students-605629-high-school.html

Beckman will be rated just as high or higher then Northwood HS in a few years once Groves is built out.

The whole "but the Groves is not IUSD" thing is just ignorance at best.

May not be an ignorance issue, Fcb's likes to tout they have the best, perception that buying in Irvine and having kids going to tusd may be an issue even tho the particular school they are assigned to are great
It's like some of these housewives driving a $150k Range Rover, are they ever going to see terrain that the vehicle was built for

Yes, TUSD and IUSD will give your kid the same education, but one of them is branded better.  Use that when you price negotiate with the builder.  Buyers will use TUSD against you when you are selling.

I think the bigger question is, when will Orchard Hills School expand from grades 5 -8 to  K-8? With the current boundaries, there are already enough kids to expand the school to a K-8...

zubs said:
Yes, TUSD and IUSD will give your kid the same education, but one of them is branded better.  Use that when you price negotiate with the builder.  Buyers will use TUSD against you when you are selling.

Plenty of FCB's in the groves.  Three on my street alone.  You think the builders at Groves will discount because they are TUSD?  Do you think Groves will appreciate in value slower then the IUSD side of OH?  I seriously doubt it.  They will discount a little for standing inventory...that is it.

I agree that perception is still out there but that is diminishing quickly.  Why?  Because the OH schools are in fact as good as any IUSD schools.

From the other thread
http://nebula.wsimg.com/52edd3aa08fd4d7ceed521cc406a5071?AccessKeyId=DBC4E59E95216BA386E3&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

When people think of Tustin, they don't think of how great the schools and the district are even tho OH schools are great...

I think once the Groves builds a reputation in the community like Turtle Ridge (again not comparing the two but saying it's a "known" gated Irvine community) the schools attached to that neighborhood will automatically be considered pretty good and it won't be as big of an issue. I doubt a FCB with funds will be buying at Northwood Pointe instead of Trevi "just" to satisfy their IUSD quota. (There will be some I suppose but certainly not the majority). They will want the prestige of the Groves and the more modern layout of Trevi with city light views up on top of a hillside.

AW said:
May not be an ignorance issue, Fcb's likes to tout they have the best, perception that buying in Irvine and having kids going to tusd may be an issue even tho the particular school they are assigned to are great
It's like some of these housewives driving a $150k Range Rover, are they ever going to see terrain that the vehicle was built for

The best is when I see the 18 year old fob girls driving a Ferrari at 30 mph.

lovingit said:
AW said:

The best is when I see the 18 year old fob girls driving a Ferrari at 30 mph.

Oh that would be a painful sight! I see that often though...AMGs/ Porsches crawling along. WTF...if you have a high performance car at least use some of its capabilities. Makes me cringe

Back