Planning our next vacation

Aquabliss,

Pastor Chuck sounds like an amazing man. These type of men certainly have a calling beyond just themselves. The way you described Pastor Chuck reminds me a lot of John Maxwell. He had a clear calling from God to full time ministry but made his mark in Leadership books and seminars and God blessed him so much financially like he did with King Solomon. He is 71 years old today and I remember reading his first book back in 1993. John Maxwell could have easily retired 20 years ago living in a beach front vacation home somewhere in Hawaii enjoying life, but he continues to preach, inspire, and adding value to others at the age of 71 because that his is passion and his calling from God. I really have a deep respect and admiration for men like him.

Sometimes when I work at the office, I turn on the a youtube video of Johns Maxwell and take notes while I work. These are the two videos I watched today that I wanted to share with all of you.

Finding your Purpose:

[youtube]0Qr_vJvqItY[/youtube]

Laws of Growth:

[youtube]al3TqXZxlUY[/youtube] 

IL_Final_Cover__53642_zoom.jpg

aquabliss said:
Panda said:
I've never heard of Pastor Chuck before? What made his messages very special?

Panda, Pastor Chuck Smith was the founder of the Calvary Chapel movement.  He was such a humble, loving, kindhearted, man filled with the Holy Spirit.  It was hard not to be moved and blessed by his messages.

Luckily he left us with lots of books, tapes, videos, etc.  In his latter years, he slowed down a lot but he never stopped serving, until the very end.  I remember when he got his cancer, he would always tell the congregation that even when he was having a bad day, he didn't feel like he could end his day unless he went to the church and spent time with fellow Christians.  He didn't take any salary for his work at the church, he just lived off whatever he made from his books and tapes. 

As much as people admired and adored him, he always kept reiterating that we need to give all the glory to God and not to any of those in ministry.  Although me and my family miss him terribly, we're also quite happy for him.

One thing I'll always remember him saying on one Sunday morning was that if he could humbly make a request to God, he wanted to oversee the Hawaiian islands in the millennial age.  I have no doubt I'll see him there one day :)

You can search online to easily find video and audio recordings of his sermons.

SoCal said:
I've booked a retreat for this weekend. Unfortunately, I will have to do the driving. I will be stopping in Lake Elsinore before reaching my final destination in Murrieta. I have to choose which route to take. I'm not happy with either. 91/15 vs. Ortega Highway.

Last year, I left at off-peak hours to make it easier and took the 91. However, I had to get off due to horrible construction / traffic. I then took side streets to the 15.

This year, I am picking up some people in Mission Viejo. That will take me at least 20+ minutes out of my way, in the wrong direction. I want to go north, not south. I'd have to backtrack. Or, I could just get on the 5 and go to the 55 or the 133/241 . Despite being an O.C. native, I have never taken Ortega Highway IN MY LIFE. Let's be honest. I'm terrified of it. I've read nothing but bad things. They say it's the nation's deadliest highway. Only 1 lane in each direction and windy, with cliffs. If someone gets really impatient behind you, I don't even see a place to get over and let them pass. There will be no men on this trip to take over the driving, which is what I am accustomed to and would prefer. I am the only one in my group who isn't elderly and who has a new, reliable vehicle, so, it's on me. Ugh. Oddly, although Ortega would shave several miles off the trip, Google says the 91 would be quicker. Yeah, I don't know about that!  :-\

If you're already driving south to MV, you might want to consider taking the I-5S to Oceanside and take 76E to I-15N.  It's a bit out of the way but less traffic vs 91E to 15S.

momopi said:
If you're already driving south to MV, you might want to consider taking the I-5S to Oceanside and take 76E to I-15N.  It's a bit out of the way but less traffic vs 91E to 15S.

Thanks, Momo. I was planning to hit up the Outlets at Lake Elsinore on the way to Murrieta for a stretch break and some shopping. But maybe I can take the 76 on the way home.

SoCal said:
momopi said:

Thanks, Momo. I was planning to hit up the Outlets at Lake Elsinore on the way to Murrieta for a stretch break and some shopping. But maybe I can take the 76 on the way home.

SoCal if you take that way you can go to these outlets instead:http://www.outletsatsanclemente.com/

I went that route before, it was crazy long but hardly any traffic.

Panda, in all the years I've known you, I don't know that I've ever read your testimony. Maybe one day you could do a post on how you became a born-again, blood-bought, child of The King. But, hey, no pressure.  :D

aquabliss said:
SoCal, watch this for 5 minutes or so:
This is how most of the drive is.  If it freaks you out too much, then just go 91.

Yikes, it's like Carbon Canyon Road on steroids. The 91 is looking better. 

Ewww. First, Zika and now sea lice. The southern states, particularly Florida, along with the Caribbean are not looking as good anymore.

Creepy crawlers: Sea lice invading Gulf Coast beaches

jb.jpg

rash5.jpg

"Sea lice are virtually impossible to see underwater, making them difficult to track.  They are known to get stuck underneath bathing suits and irritate the skin, causing a rash known as seabather?s eruption.

Rashes may include elevated skin with a reddish tint and some small blisters.  Severe reactions can cause fever, chills, nausea and headache.

... Sea lice are the larvae of jellyfish and other ocean stingers that find their way onto shore in the currents.  These microscopic larvae contain the same stinging cells as the adult creatures.  Therefore, they sting ? not bite."

Potential Zika Virus Risk Estimated for 50 U.S. Cities

zikariskmapus.jpg

Must be all that humidity.  It's like living in a petri dish during the summer and autumn months.

Depends what part of the City you are staying in. Here's my recommended bagelry

H & H Midtown Bagels East
$  Bagels, Breakfast & Brunch, Delis
1551 2nd Ave
New York, NY 10028

Luger is definitely on the schedule, as well as a Katz's.  Use to live there, now I go back I can do the tourist stuff.  We're not fancy eaters but maybe have time for a Michelin star or two

ChasingRainbows said:
Here's my recommendation for sushi.

Sushi Yashuda
204 E 43rd St

Overrated.  Also the original and founding chef (Yasuda) left to go back to Japan a long time ago.

Back