Pediatric Dentist

@bones

They all look qualified and kid friendly, but the hygienist would be the one spending the most time with the kid.  With such a large practice, you'll get someone new everytime.  If your kid is good with meeting new people, no problem.  But if shy or guarded, a smaller practice might be better.  But the most important thing is you!  Floss twice a day, especially the molars since they're last to go.  And make sure they brush slow and each tooth individually.

My 7 and 11 year old like Dr. Patrick Lee at ABC kids dental. The office is new and kids friendly.  (They not only have TV and video games in the waiting area but also screen on the ceiling so that the kids can watch movies while the doctor is doing his job.)  And the staffs are very helpful.  Highly recommended.  We just got a quote for my older one's braces and they have very reasonable package compared to other dentists.

The office is close to Diamond plaza so one bonus is to get a full box of 85 degree goodies on the way back home .  :)
http://abckidsdental.net/
Irvine Pediatric Dentist - Patrick W. Lee, DDS
2500 Alton Parkway, #206, Irvine, CA 92606
ph: 949.833.7888 - fax: 949.833.7887

WTTCMN said:
Bump!

Does anyone go to Irvine Children's Dentistry on Culver/Michelson?  Opinions?
Looking for a pediatric dentist for my kid's first dentist visit.

All the dentists seem pretty well educated.  hahvahd!!! Cal!! UPenn! UCLA!  oh and usc.  It's like an all-female asian dream team!http://www.childrensdentistry.com/Doctors-amp-Staff.aspx

I bring both my kids there (starting from the age of 2 and a half) and we have been very happy with them. We have had both Dr. Lee and Dr. Chand. Both of them have been great at establishing rapport with little kids. The hygienists are also super sweet and gentle. For your kids very first visit, if they are around 3 or younger, they typically have them in a special room that has a TV screen mounted to the ceiling, so that your kid can be distracted by the Disney movie of their choice while the chair is tipped back. They also let you sit in the chair and hold your kids lying on your chest while they check your kid.  Highly recommend. We have delta Dental, and they take our insurance with no problem.

We are still at Teddy Bear Dental off of Barranca and Paseo Westpark.

The hygienists do switch but the kids see Dr. Ted every visit at the end when he checks their teeth and applies the vitamin foam.

Small practice, only two chairs and very little privacy which is okay for our kids  (they also have the toys/games/Wii and TVs on the ceiling).

But... now that I'm 1-1 (3-High win, Mission Movers lose)... I would ask ZeroLot.

WTTCMN said:
paperboyNC said:
I tried four dentists and have been very happy with Spectrum Dental Group off Sand Canyon by the I-5:
http://www.spectrumdentalgroup.com/

My 4 year old has been happy there as well.

Does your kid see Dr. Dorothy Lin Yokoyama? She's Hahvahd as well.  I noticed it's not a pediatric only practice - do they have all that distraction stuff for kids.  Toys in the wait room, colorful walls, etc, etc?

They have toys in the wait room and a special room for kids with TVs and lots of kids shows and colorful walls. I am bad with names so I'd have to check with my sig other.

irvinehomeowner said:
We are still at Teddy Bear Dental off of Barranca and Paseo Westpark.

The hygienists do switch but the kids see Dr. Ted every visit at the end when he checks their teeth and applies the vitamin foam.

Small practice, only two chairs and very little privacy which is okay for our kids  (they also have the toys/games/Wii and TVs on the ceiling).

But... now that I'm 1-1 (3-High win, Mission Movers lose)... I would ask ZeroLot.

The Zerolots go to Dr. Harvey since 2010.  Little ZL is a dentist's nightmare because she is petrified of anything touching her teeth and needed an army of people to hold her down.  This was the case twice a year for the past 3 years. 

I originally took her to my own dentist, but he literally did nothing with her saying she refused to sit still and open her mouth.  Talk about NOT knowing how to deal with kids.

So I took her to Dr. Harvey and he was the only one that could clean her teeth and examine them.  He was super patient and answered my many questions because she had a miserable time sprouting those 2 year old molars. He gave me dentist grade numbing cream so we can all sleep at night.  He also was the only doctor that knew what a teething necklace was and said how he's amazed that it works and has used it on his own kid.

I did have an issue on ONE visit with his receptionist a while back and posted a little comment about that and Dr. Harvey called me up the next day and fully apologized and thanked me for bringing this to his attention.  I don't see that receptionist at the front anymore.

2nd little ZL has been going to Dr. Harvey since 13 months old and she is the model patient and makes the 1st ZL look bad. The hygienists knew how to work with her and Dr. Harvey also did a full teeth exam on the baby. 

I had dental paperwork to fill out for IUSD and his office does not charge a fee for filling that out.  Thank goodness!

I've been to his office 10 times and all has been well.  But he is pricy even with PPO dental insurance. Nice clean office and there's only a small wait time upon arrival.

So there's my review.  But again go with whoever makes you feel comfortable and makes your kid happy.

floss_zps6e3b45c2.jpg
http://www.target.com/p/dentek-fun-flossers-wild-fruit-flavored-flossers-75-ct/-/A-13292817
Tried a bunch of kid flosses, this one's our favorite, get it at your local Target.  Kid likes the fruit flavors.

act_zps653a5d1c.jpg
http://www.target.com/p/act-kids-anticavity-rinse-scooby-doo-16-9-fl-oz/-/A-14414409
Kiwi/Watermelon flavored, kid loves it, Scooby Dooby Do!

Flossing a little one's teeth is a pain, really hard for me to reach into the back molar area until we found these flosses at Target.  Regular floss (string) works well only if you have small hands. 

Those kids flossers are great. We'll try that one out. Have you seen any that use the material from the Oral-B Glide Floss?

No I have not, these Denteks are smooth though, my kids back molars are tight and these are easy to get in between.  She has a weakened area (pre-cavity) in one of her molars.  The back teeth are the last to fall out, that's why we're on the twice a day floss regimen to prevent it from developing further.  Don't want her to go thru what I did when I was a kid!

Back