Pavilion Park

dethman said:
one of the things that turned us off to PP and BP were the extra taxes.  i'm looking at a 4159 sq ft home in OH, mello roos is $7100/yr.  i looked at legend, which is about 4300 sq foot to start, and mello roos was about 12-14K/yr.  that's a lot of extra moolah.

we also actually don't like the mish mashed home styles in PP and BP.  too many different contrasting and clashing styles.  modern lennar condos with craftsman and then colonial SFRs, mixed in with some mediterranean stuff.  it looks like some place with no HOA and people just built whatever they want.  call us boring and cookie cutter but we love the classic all mediterranean feel with the trees in OH.

That's actually just BP. All PP homes followed American heritage style.

jmoney74 said:
dethman said:
one of the things that turned us off to PP and BP were the extra taxes.  i'm looking at a 4159 sq ft home in OH, mello roos is $7100/yr.  i looked at legend, which is about 4300 sq foot to start, and mello roos was about 12-14K/yr.  that's a lot of extra moolah.

we also actually don't like the mish mashed home styles in PP and BP.  too many different contrasting and clashing styles.  modern lennar condos with craftsman and then colonial SFRs, mixed in with some mediterranean stuff.  it looks like some place with no HOA and people just built whatever they want.  call us boring and cookie cutter but we love the classic all mediterranean feel with the trees in OH.

That's actually just BP. All PP homes followed American heritage style.

i stand corrected.

aquabliss said:
I've lived in  Pavilion Park for 2.5 years.  Like any community there are good and bad points.  For my family though, the good outweighs the bad.  Here's a few that come to mind. (besides the MR which is obvious and variable based on home size)

Pro's
1) Spacing Between Homes - Between the stucco on both sides I think I have 13ft on one side and 12ft on the other side.  This gives me bigger side yards and more privacy.  A couple feet here on both sides really make a difference when you look at other new communities.
2) Not Congested - We moved from Woodbury because it was getting crazy crowded and I hated going home and seeing cars parked all up and down the street every night.  In PP if you're not in the motorcourt area (or across from it), you have a lot of space to yourself.  On my street particularly cars aren't usually parked on the street, and I can count the number of times on 1 hand that cars have parked in front of my home that aren't my guests.
3) Lot Size - A larger percentage of homes here have large lots than other communities.  It helps in spacing all around your neighbors.  This was the main reason we chose the community and my kids love to play in the back yard and they have the space to do so.
4) Uniqueness - The elevations in the neighborhood (as well as BP) are all very different compared to the TIC properties in other new neighborhoods which are basically all santa barbara or italian elevations.

Con's:
1) Common Area's - The community landscaping was cool at first (the deciduous look), but I'm now tired of it and long for Irvine Company common area landscaping.  Also the maintenance company doesn't do a good job of trimming bushes/trees, mowing grass etc. 
2) HOA - The HOA here is slow to address anything and they love issuing fines.  Submittals for anything take forever to hear back on, and if they reject your submittal, you have to start the entire process (same lengthy wait time) all over again.
3) Common Area's - There is  basically one main  pool + lawn area  for all the residents.  We miss that about Woodbury where if we went to a pool and it was crowded, we could try 3 or 4 other pools just a 2 minute drive away.  Also the pocket parks in Woodbury are great and there's always some green area or playground nearby to take your kids out.

I'm sure there's more (on both sides) but those were the first that came to mind.  Let us know if you need anymore details.

I would like to add to the pro's and con's list and continue with AQUA

5) The neighborhood layout and street designs are completely fluid. Stop signs are strategic locate at main intersections only, and not hinders the traffic flows. For the most part residents are speed conscious inside the neighborhood There are multiples entry and exit points and after one live here awhile you will appreciate the clever design, You will take short cuts and avoid needless driving through every street to get to your house like all other design by older Irvine Pacific development. Streets and side walk are wider than any of the IP developments hence from the front of your door to the street is a good distance. When you have little kids this is a huge plus, because they are definitely faster than their parents. This is a great safety design in mind.

6) Main park design is like no other that I have seen. The planner and designer carefully craft the main park to be the focal point of the neighborhood and all of guess that visit your pad will be in awe and inspire. Irvine Pacific pocket parks is OK,  Once you see a pocket park, they are all the same. some climb gyms for kiddies and swings set not really anything to brag about.

7) Elevation of the homes are handsome and unique. Most of the homes never look the same unlike Irvine Pacific neighborhood. Your friend and family will be able to uniquely identify your home without mistakes.

-8) The neighborhood anchors tree are jacaranda beautifully placed and the old, giant trees contrast against the new home is amazing.

9) Perhaps the biggest positive factor is neighbors in the area are extremely nice and welcome. Friendship made fast here in most cases.

10) School K- 8 is awesome and the Beacon Park Elementary Principal is hand pick. He did an amazing job. From the time that the school broke ground to completion, it took less than 9 months to build an amazing school, with great staffs. Now I understand the importance of Mello Roos. On the other hands, if you buy in Tustin School district, all those years that I paid Mello Roos, my kids did not benefit because they sent him to an old school built in the 70's.

11) We are not there yet, but when my kids get to high school Portola High will be the IT school of Irvine. That is a well spent tax money.

The con's list

4) The HOA - Nazi like governing the community. Most residents here care and love their homes. HOA enforcing rules NAZI like and sit you down for interrogation when they think you not comply with the timeline of landscaping rules. They lack of sympathy for residents and given unrealistic time to complete their project. In many cases, the same landscapers was working on 4 or 5 jobs at the same time on the same street. So you are at the mercy of the landscapers promise. In addition, HOA have to wake up and understand that there are literally thousands of homes popping up and they all require landscaping and landscapers are having a heck of a time keeping up.

5) Unnecessary fines issues, even when proof of works was sent.

6) HOA landscaping responsible area in many cases, home owner will just have their gardeners clean up since it in front of their house. Response is slow to address fixing. Perhaps because they are overwhelm with Beacon and Parasol. Still no excuse.

7) Architect review process is quite long before you get any feedback. Then again, there is only 1 person that reviews all of the plans.

So there is the list. Once residents here complete their landscaping and not under the scrutiny, NAZI like HOA, life is great here. It is just like their slogan " Life Will Be Different Here."

Hi... I don't live there but as a family person, I feel to get kids to the common park you need to get your car out(most places) which is a inconvenience. People from PP comes to BP as park is good but again you need car usually. It's my thoughts only and again I don't live there. I prefer park which is walkable.

While there is some space in the PP that can utilize and transform into pocket parks, the vision of 5P is that the main park encourage residents to congregate at a central location and be-friend with one another. This build a great communities with homeowners knowing one and another. While this is true on all aspects, FCB tendencies to be secluded. Some FCB are never here, and that is perfectly fine with me.

Pocket parks is still a nice features to have along with the main park. PP and BP are strategically locate in each of the neighborhood so residents does not have to get in the car and drive, it is completely walkable. However, I am a true Californian and I often use my cars even for a short drive. Bad habit hard to break.

Seems like once u get approval from Hoa for initial landscape is it no longer an issue?? Many yards now are a little messy so I guess once u pass no more fines?? Does anyone have any insight as to how strict after initial landscape approval if grass or flowers die?? Some people are getting Hefty monthly fines for landscape.

renter1 said:
Seems like once u get approval from Hoa for initial landscape is it no longer an issue?? Many yards now are a little messy so I guess once u pass no more fines?? Does anyone have any insight as to how strict after initial landscape approval if grass or flowers die??

It was a simple process unless you are trying to do something odd. I hired a landscaper that was very familiar and looked over PP's guidelines.. got it approved.. built.. then got final approval. 

jmoney74 said:
renter1 said:
Seems like once u get approval from Hoa for initial landscape is it no longer an issue?? Many yards now are a little messy so I guess once u pass no more fines?? Does anyone have any insight as to how strict after initial landscape approval if grass or flowers die??

It was a simple process unless you are trying to do something odd. I hired a landscaper that was very familiar and looked over PP's guidelines.. got it approved.. built.. then got final approval.

Same here.. Hard scape was not an issue,the only issues we ever faced (rejected twice) was because of "low watering plants" in the draught climate. At the end we just gave up showed we are going to put rose plants and were done with it and got it approved. Of course within 2 months we reverted back to what we initially planned  ;)

kapee94 said:
jmoney74 said:
renter1 said:

Same here.. Hard scape was not an issue,the only issues we ever faced (rejected twice) was because of "low watering plants" in the draught climate. At the end we just gave up showed we are going to put rose plants and were done with it and got it approved. Of course within 2 months we reverted back to what we initially planned  ;)

exactly!  Some things just aren't worth fighting for.

Now that you are approved- does Hoa hammer down on dead grass patchy landscape etc?? Are they giving fines for those not keeping landscape up or would that only be if someone complained? Appreciate the insight.

kapee94 said:
jmoney74 said:
renter1 said:

You mean the HOA did not want low water type plants? And is that for the front yard only?  I'm gonna be doing a backyard soon and want to prepare for the hassle.

If you used plants from the approved list you'll be fine.  I actually couldn't find a couple of the plants I put on my plans so I swapped them out and it wasn't an issue.  They're not going to check plant for plant.

aquabliss said:
If you used plants from the approved list you'll be fine.  I actually couldn't find a couple of the plants I put on my plans so I swapped them out and it wasn't an issue.  They're not going to check plant for plant.

That's good to know.  I was thinking of going for some kind of "exotic" desert look in the back yard.  Wouldn't want to clash with HOA over that.

Pavillion Parkers:

Once landscaping is approved-

If u add a pergola or hardtop sun shade in backyard. Backyard grill etc- do you need Hoa approval??

You mean the HOA did not want low water type plants? And is that for the front yard only?  I'm gonna be doing a backyard soon and want to prepare for the hassle.
[/quote]

We had other plants which were not low watering hence we had to swap them out for low watering plants. As soon as we got approved we swapped it back. I don't think HOA cares....

renter1 said:
Pavillion Parkers:

Once landscaping is approved-

If u add a pergola or hardtop sun shade in backyard. Backyard grill etc- do you need Hoa approval??

Technically yes, but like anything in life you're only in trouble if you get caught.

Could be a very expensive risk though.  If they catch you they can fine you until you change it or take it down (if it doesn't conform to the guidelines).

Back