Paint Brand

I have the complete opposite experience with flat vs. velvet.  I ended choosing flat and regret it to this day.  There are scuff marks everywhere in my house and it is really is hard to clean/wipe down.  I have since been repainting select rooms with velvet and couldn't be happier.

Meggie said:
So on the third try we finally ended up with the color that we like in flat but now we ended up with 10 gallons of extra paint costing $300.

Don't ponder to much on that $300, it is just a small price to pay for getting the color you wanted. 

BTW, what color are those paint anyway?  May be someone here will take those paint.  mmmm... $300 worth of free paint ;)

Velvet finish is popular because it's resistant to marks and can be easily cleaned.  I like flat better.. but just tough to keep it clean.

I've had velvet for three years and can't wait to paint over it. Nothing sticks to it. I enjoy using Command strips by 3M to decorate but they won't hold to this finish. Always have to put nail holes in the wall. Also can't tape off the wall when painting or hang a plastic sheet when remodeling a room. My workmen find that so annoying when they've tried to isolate a room. I'm picking new paint right now. Will probably go back to satin or eggshell.

Meggie said:
The extra paint is Sahara Velvet finish DEC747.  The one that we ended up with is Sandcastle Flat DEC 740.http://dunnedwards.com/PaintingCont...ePerfectPalette/ExplorethePerfectPalette.aspx

Our painter said everybody loves velvet finish.  I guess it comes down to preference.  The Sahara color is very nice actually.  We might have kept it if it was in flat. 

My sister said she would take it for her rental home.  If she changes her mind I will post and the lucky winner can have it.    :)

(edited for the correct link)

I would though velvet paint would be perfect since its gloss is right between flat and eggshell so it is both easy to maintain and not too glossy. 

Both of those pain color are really nice and maybe because the Sahara color are slightly darker, the velvet finish make it looks even more darker and bring out the gloss more.

SoCal said:
I've had velvet for three years and can't wait to paint over it. Nothing sticks to it. I enjoy using Command strips by 3M to decorate but they won't hold to this finish. Always have to put nail holes in the wall. Also can't tape off the wall when painting or hang a plastic sheet when remodeling a room. My workmen find that so annoying when they've tried to isolate a room. I'm picking new paint right now. Will probably go back to satin or eggshell.
That's interesting.

Velvet is between eggshell and flat so you would think it would be able to hold adhesives.

I didn't know there was a paint finish that was resistant to adhesives as I've been able to put painters tape even on glossy surfaces.

I think the scale is:

Flat > Velvet > Eggshell > Satin > Semi-Gloss > Gloss

So if the glossiness is causing problems with your adhesives, you are going more glossy with Eggshell/Satin (or is it the lack of glossiness?).

irvinehomeowner said:
SoCal said:
That's interesting.

Velvet is between eggshell and flat so you would think it would be able to hold adhesives.

I didn't know there was a paint finish that was resistant to adhesives as I've been able to put painters tape even on glossy surfaces.

I think the scale is:

So if the glossiness is causing problems with your adhesives, you are going more glossy with Eggshell/Satin (or is it the lack of glossiness?).

Maybe SoCal was using a special "house blend" of velvet paint that are resistant to adhesive.  Just think the advantage of no ants nor spiders can climb up those walls. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
SoCal said:
That's interesting.

I think the scale is:

I think your scale is right, problem is there is no standardization among paint manufacturers, so one company's eggshell could be another company's velvet.  Just gotta put some on the wall to see how it looks.  And tape stuff up to it I guess.

Maybe it's the "lack of glossiness" that is causing adhesive issues for SoCal.

Flat paint is more porous (hence not as stain resistant) and since Velvet is closest to Flat, that's what the problem is.

Meggie said:
Update: The sahara color is beautiful.  We had two sections (master bath and launch) that we painted sahara and the rest except children bedrooms is sandcastle.  When we tried both colors on white wall the sahara looked too dark but now seeing sahara next to sand castle the sahara appeared really good.  Next time I am going to keep my mouth shut and let my husband choose.

Post pics

Back