Padova at OH

I really like the Padova Plan 4, great layout and well priced I think.  Once OH Groves is sold out I don't think  there will be much price discrepancy per sq ft between Padova and other nearby communities in the groves.  People start to forget what builder made what and the names, etc.  Will just come down to a XYZ sq ft home in OH Groves up against  another  one of the same size. 

Burn That Belly said:
Gated communities do not reduce crime significantly over non-gated communities. There is no data to back this. (http://www.globalsecurityexperts.com/home-security/both-sides-of-the-fence-the-pros-and-cons-of-gated-communities-and-property-fencing.html)

Have you guys not visited NextDoor? Bunch of middle eastern kids who live in NP/NW were burglars that got caught. How about that Korean dude in portola spring who tried to rape that woman at Mon Beau Bebe? Or that drug dealer dude living in Irvine apartments selling narcotics and had weapons. Don't assume your neighbor or their kids are "servants" of the Lord. He could be Satan's creatures living amongst you.

Logically, if you want to feel "safe", hire your own private security. That's how the rich people do it. Otherwise, gated communities is like buying the "paint protection" package at the finance office of a car dealership.

Nevertheless, I will argue that it is still a selling point for future prospective FCB buyers.  ;D  Hence, OH3!  FCB folks are afraid of crime, they don't know how to fight back...so gates gives them a false sense of security. Where they come from, guns are not allowed for personal ownership. Where we come from, guns are rampant.

n_28765_1.jpg

Like I previously said, the gate makes it potentially more of a target. (That person must be important/mega rich to live behind a gate. I just made that up, but I can see someone from the hood thinking that.)

Jcl725 said:
I believe Turtle Ridge, Trailwood, Northpark, and Laguna Altara are also guard gated at all entrances.  Whereas Altair, Lambert Ranch, and Turtle Rock Summit have a mix of guard gated and non-guard gated entrances.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Laguna Woktura has an unmanned gate off of Lake Forest Dr.

if you're considering a gate, consider that it is unlikely that the groves will have a guard at the gate within the next five years.  the vistas, varenna, padova will still have several years of buildout which means people will be driving in there to look at models for YEARS.  there are still open areas of land next to the toll roads and an open area of land northeast of trevi/old amelia where building has not even begun.  the gate is closed at night, but i doubt there will be a guard for a while.

Burn That Belly said:
Gated communities do not reduce crime significantly over non-gated communities. There is no data to back this. (http://www.globalsecurityexperts.com/home-security/both-sides-of-the-fence-the-pros-and-cons-of-gated-communities-and-property-fencing.html)

Have you guys not visited NextDoor? Bunch of middle eastern kids who live in NP/NW were burglars that got caught. How about that Korean dude in portola spring who tried to rape that woman at Mon Beau Bebe? Or that drug dealer dude living in Irvine apartments selling narcotics and had weapons. Don't assume your neighbor or their kids are "servants" of the Lord. He could be Satan's creatures living amongst you.

Logically, if you want to feel "safe", hire your own private security. That's how the rich people do it. Otherwise, gated communities is like buying the "paint protection" package at the finance office of a car dealership.

Nevertheless, I will argue that it is still a selling point for future prospective FCB buyers.  ;D  Hence, OH3!  FCB folks are afraid of crime, they don't know how to fight back...so gates gives them a false sense of security. Where they come from, guns are not allowed for personal ownership. Where we come from, guns are rampant.

n_28765_1.jpg

An article about needed additional security posted on a security company's website.  Biased?  Maybe, maybe not.

But I definitely agree there are people who fall into a false sense security.  I'll still have my cameras, motion sensor lights, alarm and alarm signs, and some other stuff :)

dethman said:
if you're considering a gate, consider that it is unlikely that the groves will have a guard at the gate within the next five years.  the vistas, varenna, padova will still have several years of buildout which means people will be driving in there to look at models for YEARS.  there are still open areas of land next to the toll roads and an open area of land northeast of trevi/old amelia where building has not even begun.  the gate is closed at night, but i doubt there will be a guard for a while.

We looked at Capella back in 2014 when the Groves first opened and so glad we did not buy in Orchard Hills.  Friends that live in Amelia are sick of the construction noise/activity and the fact that there is still no guard at the gate at this point would have me looking into my purchase documents to see if there was any misrepresentation.  I'm told that there is a lot of non-resident traffic going into built-out neighborhoods...lookey loos or maybe worse.

eyephone said:
Like I previously said, the gate makes it potentially more of a target. (That person must be important/mega rich to live behind a gate. I just made that up, but I can see someone from the hood thinking that.)

I think this might be true for the professional burglars.  But for these guys, if they want to get into your home, nothing is going to stop them short of you sitting there with a shotgun.  I have friends' businesses who have been hit and these guys are VERY sophisticated. 

But I do think gates play a role in deterring the standard burglar.  These guys want to get in and out as easily as possible.  And a guard gate is one additional barrier to ease of entry/exit.

As for the punks robbing their own community mentioned above, you can't protect against everything.  Like most things in life, I think the 80/20 rule applies here.

irvine buyer said:
dethman said:

We looked at Capella back in 2014 when the Groves first opened and so glad we did not buy in Orchard Hills.  Friends that live in Amelia are sick of the construction noise/activity and the fact that there is still no guard at the gate at this point would have me looking into my purchase documents to see if there was any misrepresentation.  I'm told that there is a lot of non-resident traffic going into built-out neighborhoods...lookey loos or maybe worse.

Very good points.  I've done my fair share of driving through OH to look around.  Same thing will hold true for OH3 as the land above the Reserve probably won't be built out for 4+ years.  That would suck if I live in OH for 5 years and have no guard the entire time.

Gates - Based on actual crime data (i need to dig it up), the overall crime rate is lower in the guard gated communities compared to nearby non-gated neighborhoods.  "However", domestic violence is a little higher then normal.  Most likely, rich people fighting over $$$ or cheating on each other=).

You might be on to something.  Screw the gated community.  Use a fraction of the money on a crazy Chinese nanny/housekeeper/security guard.

Houses are so close in Cali vs Georgia. If you do that like in the video, you might shoot your neighbor and have a wrongful death lawsuit against you. Lol

Burn That Belly said:
Gates are better than nothing, but not a showstopper for the determined criminals.

You want a showstopper, get some guns. No amateur/professional crook (unless he's a hired hitman) is going to stick around and duke it out with you in a gun battle on your own turf. I will stand by that! Amurica!

Look at the video in Georgia where the Chinese woman woke up and fired back against 3 armed burglars in the middle of the night. Those fools were running out the house so fast and she dropped one on her own driveway. Crooks afraid of an armed Chinese woman?!? Come on. It's called "I ain't getting paid for this!"

edit: I want woman like her living in Irvine......

And what are they trying to steal? toilet paper ? lolhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A804A3WAbB0

WTTCHMN said:
Maserson said:
Are there any neighborhoods fully guard gated?  Some have two gates, one manned and the other with an automated gate.

Shady, HC and both Groves (the trailer park and the one in OH).

But even the gated communities in Irvine must still allow unfettered access to pedestrians/bicyclists.
Not true.  That or I know of a couple communities which violate this. 

Burn That Belly said:
eyephone said:
Houses are so close in Cali vs Georgia. If you do that like in the video, you might shoot your neighbor and have a wrongful death lawsuit. Lol

Not if you use frangibles or hollow points. They typically do not penetrate further and the frangibles disperse into fragments within the organs. Cops use HPs.

Or better yet, just a 12-gauge shotty will be fine too.

I carry hollow points myself.

Assuming you're on target.  Even if you're a good shot, there's a good chance a round or two will miss a moving target if it's the middle of the night, and you're firing rounds seconds after you were awakened from deep sleep.

Bullsback said:
WTTCHMN said:
Maserson said:
Are there any neighborhoods fully guard gated?  Some have two gates, one manned and the other with an automated gate.

Shady, HC and both Groves (the trailer park and the one in OH).

But even the gated communities in Irvine must still allow unfettered access to pedestrians/bicyclists.
Not true.  That or I know of a couple communities which violate this. 

As far as I know, City of Irvine requires gated communities with parks inside (even though those park are private, HOA maintained) are required to allow unrestricted pedestrians access to these parks.  Thus it allows unrestricted pedestrians passes through the gate. 

Unless the community does not have any park or it's an older community that precede the law. 

Back